ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I'm having trouble tracking down leather for the belt. Where is everyone ordering their leather, and how thick would you say it was? Judging from the footage we've seen, the belt looks relatively thick, but I don't have a lot of experience working with leather so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

I hadn't done any leatherwork before, and didn't have a lot of tools, so I used "4575-00 - Natural Cowhide Leather Strap 2-1/2" (6.3 cm) x 50" (1.3 m)" from Tandy Leather.

It's a straight strip of leather, which I bought before I realized the belt really should be curved to hang correctly. So I read a lot of leatherworking stuff to see if I could make it work. I dampened it with a spray bottle and set it aside for a few hours in a large ziplock bag (I believe it's called casing.) When it's damp all the way through, after a few hours... it should feel dry, but cool to the touch, you can slowly and "gently" stretch the bottom edge so its bowed and hangs better off the hip. It worked out great, fits really well, plus some of the "stretch" marks that dyed less evenly matched up with some uneven weathering on the screen used one.

Here is a new photo which is interesting because it provides some information about how Jyn's holster is attached to the gun belt. There is also good detail on her sidearm.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1251828518189583&set=pcb.1143081655759849&type=3&theater

I think this is the picture (source)?:

Felicity-Jones-Gareth-Edwards-Rogue-One.jpg

I just started acquiring items and fabric for Jyn Erso and I thought I would share this find. Great for anyone needing last-minute boots on a budget.

I got these combat boots at Target for only $26.59 (after 30% off with Cartwheel). The side and heel stitching looks right, color is good. There's an extra stitching line over the top of the toes but mostly will be hidden under the flap+buckle detail I need to build on top. (that stitching line is still consistent with the Star Wars world though, like Padme's arena boots)

d9c6974522dbe8de9de3cbe7ce473db8.jpg

Thank you so so much for sharing AvalynCosplay! I am trying to save up for the Frye boots but these are much more manageable on my current budget and during this time of year. I will have to see if I can find a pair (closest Target is 2 hours away but maybe I can get them online). Thanks again! :)

New clip (starts at 3:10):

Does that baton they use at the beginning look like it's an actual prop from the movie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad someone else found the Target Mossimo boots helpful!

I just got my vest fabric in the mail from fabric.com. I purchased organic rip-stop cotton in the Coyote color. I'm really happy with it so far, we'll see how it looks after I sew it. It has a faint waffle texture in the weave which should help line up all of the stitching lines for quilting.
a64abab6c45b1a52f8a1f9e377c19484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my vest fabric in the mail from fabric.com. I purchased organic rip-stop cotton in the Coyote color. I'm really happy with it so far, we'll see how it looks after I sew it. It has a faint waffle texture in the weave which should help line up all of the stitching lines for quilting.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161202/a64abab6c45b1a52f8a1f9e377c19484.jpg

The color and texture look spot on! Do you have a pattern for the vest ? (I am better with fiberglass than I am with sewing!)

That's the fabric I used!

Give me two more days and I can give you a really good Procion dye recipie for dying it. (My shirt fabric was really dark and the contrast is just too much. Still working the right balance out.)

Also, double check that the tension on your topstiching thread is tight enough. And plan on sewing next to the ripstop lines (the needle will slip to either side even if you don't plan on it.)

The color and texture look spot on! Do you have a pattern for the vest ? (I am better with fiberglass than I am with sewing!)

smithjohnj posted a PDF pattern for the vest earlier in the thread (in June?) which is a really good starting point. I needed to lower the neckline about two inches and take it in a bit on the sides, but the placement and proportions are an excellent starting point.

Promising publicly to post some directions for working with it this weekend as well.

smithjohnj posted a PDF pattern for the vest earlier in the thread (in June?) which is a really good starting point. I needed to lower the neckline about two inches and take it in a bit on the sides, but the placement and proportions are an excellent starting point.

Promising publicly to post some directions for working with it this weekend as well.

Thank you so much! I will look back in the thread - I also look forward to seeing your work!

That's the fabric I used!

Give me two more days and I can give you a really good Procion dye recipie for dying it. (My shirt fabric was really dark and the contrast is just too much. Still working the right balance out.)

Also, double check that the tension on your topstiching thread is tight enough. And plan on sewing next to the ripstop lines (the needle will slip to either side even if you don't plan on it.)

Awesome, thank you for the tip! Glad to hear someone else had the same idea on this fabric. I figured cotton would be good for color and distressing, and the ripstop is a military/hunting fabric which is in-character and makes sense for outerwear.

No pattern yet for me but I have the aforementioned PDF to use as a reference when I draw my own pattern. I use a duct tape body double to drape and draft my own patterns. It is going to be important to make sure the lines of the vest line up with the collar of the shirt and height of the pants in my own dimensions.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back