ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

I've received the FRYE veronica combat boots (dark brown color) this morning. Got it on ebay for 50$.
ydkuf.jpg

Last edited:
I've finished the belt (almost) the boxes are made from EVA foam. I wish to replace it by real metal in the futur... if I can find it. :rolleyes The dimension are : 6X8cm(bottom part), 5,2X7,5cm(upper part) and 1,2cm thick (each).
The leather belt is 50cm width and I found it on ETSY : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/262...868197de5d95&gclid=CKjShIb3is8CFe4V0woddA8A6g (I've ordered 48 inches)
And the buckle/rivet is from Gian "PhiloProps" : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/222221116/boucle-imperiale-pour-officier-imperial?ref=pr_faveitems
beltd.jpgDSC08948.JPG

ceinture dépliée.jpgceinture.jpg

Last edited:
I've been following this thread, and I have found it to be very helpful. I constructed this costume for my 14-year old daughter. I'm a 501st/Rebel Legion member, and she enjoys trooping with me. As we all know, there has been very little reference material available for this costume. When I started this project a couple months ago, I was making the assumption that Jyn's Imperial disguise was a TIE pilot costume. So, I went out and purchased a low-end set of TIE pilot chest/back armor, with the hopes of modifying it. Since then, we have learned that this disguise is actually an Imperial ground crew member. I've gone ahead and assembled what I'm calling version 1.0 of my daughter's costume. The chest and back armor is far from being screen accurate, but I think it captures the overall look. She wore it at the Cincinnati Comic Expo last weekend, and we received a lot of positive feedback. I consider myself a novice costume maker. Prior to reading this thread, I would not have considered attempting to construct the armor from scratch. However, I've been really inspired by what catmew has accomplished with EVA foam. Time to start watching the YouTube tutorials. :)

There is still a lot of details that we do not know about this costume, so I think I'm going to hold off, before attempting a custom build for the armor. I'm hoping we will see more of it in the coming trailers. Or, I suppose I can wait until after the movie release. One thing that I will note, I do not want to be influenced too strongly by the 3.5 inch action figure. For example, from the four screen shots from the movie (posted above), it appears that the back piece that holds the light batons has an open configuration, as opposed to deep channels for the batons to fit into. I personally think that the deep channels were purposely added for the action figure, so that the batons can snap into place. I constructed the baton holder back piece from Sintra PVC board. I used a heat gun to curve the edges of the "V," It's anyone's guess, if this is accurate, but it is my interpretation of what I see in the screen shots. I used industrial Velcro to the hold the batons in place. Anyway, here are photos from our convention...

jyn_erso1.JPGjyn_erso2.JPGjyn_erso3.JPGjyn_erso5.JPG

ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

I've finished the belt (almost) the boxes are made from EVA foam. I wish to replace it by real metal in the futur... if I can find it. :rolleyes The dimension are : 6X8cm(bottom part), 5,2X7,5cm(upper part) and 1,2cm thick (each).
The leather belt is 50cm width and I found it on ETSY : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/262...868197de5d95&gclid=CKjShIb3is8CFe4V0woddA8A6g (I've ordered 48 inches)
And the buckle/rivet is from Gian "PhiloProps" : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/222221116/boucle-imperiale-pour-officier-imperial?ref=pr_faveitems
View attachment 665059View attachment 665065

View attachment 665056View attachment 665057

Kendra, the eva foam piece, try painting them with chrome paint, i find them looking more like metal then the silver paint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been following this thread, and I have found it to be very helpful. I constructed this costume for my 14-year old daughter. I'm a 501st/Rebel Legion member, and she enjoys trooping with me. As we all know, there has been very little reference material available for this costume. When I started this project a couple months ago, I was making the assumption that Jyn's Imperial disguise was a TIE pilot costume. So, I went out and purchased a low-end set of TIE pilot chest/back armor, with the hopes of modifying it. Since then, we have learned that this disguise is actually an Imperial ground crew member. I've gone ahead and assembled what I'm calling version 1.0 of my daughter's costume. The chest and back armor is far from being screen accurate, but I think it captures the overall look. She wore it at the Cincinnati Comic Expo last weekend, and we received a lot of positive feedback. I consider myself a novice costume maker. Prior to reading this thread, I would not have considered attempting to construct the armor from scratch. However, I've been really inspired by what catmew has accomplished with EVA foam. Time to start watching the YouTube tutorials. :)

There is still a lot of details that we do not know about this costume, so I think I'm going to hold off, before attempting a custom build for the armor. I'm hoping we will see more of it in the coming trailers. Or, I suppose I can wait until after the movie release. One thing that I will note, I do not want to be influenced too strongly by the 3.5 inch action figure. For example, from the four screen shots from the movie (posted above), it appears that the back piece that holds the light batons has an open configuration, as opposed to deep channels for the batons to fit into. I personally think that the deep channels were purposely added for the action figure, so that the batons can snap into place. I constructed the baton holder back piece from Sintra PVC board. I used a heat gun to curve the edges of the "V," It's anyone's guess, if this is accurate, but it is my interpretation of what I see in the screen shots. I used industrial Velcro to the hold the batons in place. Anyway, here are photos from our convention...

View attachment 667950View attachment 667951View attachment 667952View attachment 667953

This looks awesome!
you can thank Kendra for the thread[emoji16]

Re: ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

Kendra, the eva foam piece, try painting them with chrome paint, i find them looking more like metal then the silver paint

I painted them in silverchrome actually... but I will try with chrome, and see how it'll turn.

Yes, thanks Kendra for starting this thread. I'm looking forward to more posts.

You are welcome :D Your daughter look amazing !! I really love the batons you made, what did you used ? (I was asking myself how I can make it from scratch, especially the handle/upper part of the stick in black)

You are welcome :D Your daughter look amazing !! I really love the batons you made, what did you used ? (I was asking myself how I can make it from scratch, especially the handle/upper part of the stick in black)

Thanks. My daughter loves the costume.

The upper part of the batons were made from PVC pipes. They can be found in the plumbing section of your DIY/hardware stores. The lower (square cross section) parts are square cross section PVC, that I ordered on Amazon. There is a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel rod inside for support. The tear-drop shaped caps on the tops of the batons are layered Sintra that I cut and sanded. I learned that I like working with Sintra on this project. Like I said earlier, I'm a novice. :)

Thanks. My daughter loves the costume.

The upper part of the batons were made from PVC pipes. They can be found in the plumbing section of your DIY/hardware stores. The lower (square cross section) parts are square cross section PVC, that I ordered on Amazon. There is a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel rod inside for support. The tear-drop shaped caps on the tops of the batons are layered Sintra that I cut and sanded. I learned that I like working with Sintra on this project. Like I said earlier, I'm a novice. :)

That's really interesting. I was thinking about using a PVC pipe too, and maybe worbla transpa art or plexiglas for the red part. But square cross section PVC is great too ! As I have to put some orange led light inside this part, it has to be transparent, so I don't really know if it does exist... anyway I'll try both of this method and see what'll work.
That's the last greeblies of the costume that I will make, because I must do the backplate before anything else and see what dimensions are right for the sticks.

DSC09067.JPGDSC09088.JPG

I've update a bit my costume. I've finished the flightsuit : V neck collar, and stitched 2 strip of fabric with velcro on the bottom part of the pant (with some leftover from one leg) to tighten it above the boots. I'm wearing balck gloves (but it's not the accurate one). I will receive this week the leather dye, so I think the gloves will be soon ready. And I've started to work on the kneepad, that will be made in foam.

Last edited:
Thant looks awesome kendra, even without the amour.

Here is a picture of me and my wife, the first time we got to wearand test it
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161009/66a2dcf550d41710022a3f846a879650.jpg

Thank you ! You both look amazing too !

I've finished the gloves today. It was tricky to find the good color, I used a combo of 3 leather dye (Eco-flo antic gel medium brown and eco flo leather dye bison brown are the main), then I did the finition with havane brown (to give a brown/reddish color on some parts. But I used it very cautiously and didn't applied many on the leather). The leather is difficult to dye with gel, and I applied almost 5-7 coats of medium brown and bison mixed. There is still this yellowhish look on indoor light, but I darkened it enough to hidden it a bit.

DSC09121.JPGDSC09185.JPGDSC09199.JPG

Last edited:
You both look awesome catmew! I've been studying the Shoretrooper also, and I've noticed some similarities in the chest armor with the ground crew member. Very nice.
the amour carries a throughout the new characters, Shoretrooper, death trooper, hover tank driver and the ground crew from what i observe

Has anyone heard anything about a sculpt/vacuform/mass produce of the armor pieces? So far I haven't seen any mention from anyone yet, just some awesome scratch builds.

Thank you!

Has anyone heard anything about a sculpt/vacuform/mass produce of the armor pieces? So far I haven't seen any mention from anyone yet, just some awesome scratch builds.

Thank you!

Most of people that I know don't want to make runs yet, because there is not good visual of this costume out there. We don't really know the details of the chestplate/backplate. Maybe there will be runs, but after the release of the movie I think :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back