ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Kendra, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

CynltGmUkAAJFks.jpg

Hello, I would like to start a thread about this costume "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise of Jyn Erso. I've started to make the costume, and try to make a list of all the details/material needed. If you want to update the list, please don't hesitate to share on this thread.

- TIE fighter flightsuit :

1518470811.jpg

The fabric is similar, but this flightsuit need heavy modification :
    - the neckline has a V shape :
    v neck.jpg
    - the pocket on the left shoulder is cut in 3 and the flap in 2 pieces :

pocket.jpg
    The is another pocket under it (no need to change it, it's for the greeblie).
    There is no pockets on the left arm.
    An extensible fabric is stitched in the front of the flightsuit (inner legs to the chest)
    The new imperial patch look like made of vinyle

Make your own flightsuit :
    Amazing Tutorial by Vault Fox Cosplay : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tifmlt64i1CXCG8ANWQXJG9XpywFw1s03zMkTqmwqRc/edit

- The Helmet : Based from the imperial gunner it's seems. From the back it has a round chape. The visor that can be opened.

img_8245-1.jpg

- Boots : FRYE Veronica Boots Combat - Dark Brown : http://www.thefryecompany.com/veronica-combat/d/76276

img_8240.jpg 76270_dark_brown_l.jpg

Lange clips (3D prints / resin cast) : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/475...ure-botte-clips-kit?ref=listing-shop-header-0

- Chestplate : The base is like deathtrooper/shoretrooper chestplate, except for the side that is new and have a square shape. Foam pieces are under the armor, to keep it in place against the body (on shoulder sides).

img_8244.jpg

Backplate : It has a V shape. There is diagonal notch on the sides for the sticks to fit in. They are apparent and are not put inside the armor. The sticks seems to be used for spaceship direction on the ground (it has the same fonction as the glow sticks for the plane). The red part light up.
    vlcsnap-2016-08-14-05h11m02s135 sta.png

Belt : Standard buckle + leather strip (50cm) + silver rivet (on the left of the buckle)
    Boxes :https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/498994288/style-de-boite-imperial-ceinture-un

image_zpskkaj1r4h.jpeg

Gloves : DIAMOND Stone (natural) :
    It need to be dyed in dark brown/chocolate, and add some modification on the front of the gloves. People are working on it too on the main Jyn Erso open building : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259118&page=10&highlight=jyn

gloves 2.jpg black-diamond-stone-glove-gants-de-via-ferrata.jpg

Kneepad: REKD (UK brand) elbow pad, size L (adult) : http://rekdprotection.com/fr/rekd-products/duty-triple-pad-set/?catid=71

image_zpswcyy1kkq.jpeg DSC00848.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    erinnn likes this.
  2. montee916

montee916 New Member

Re: ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso Imperial

Hey Kendra.

It looks like this outfit is for an Imperial Ground Crew member, I just found this unpackaging video of the 3.75 inch figure that I thought you might like to see.

Hopefully there may be something useful in here for your build. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Kendra likes this.
  3. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

This is amazing !!! Thank you very much !

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I've ordered my flightsuit on cosplaysky. Here how it looks.

sfd.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    aeonpulse, Spanky101, erinnn and 3 others like this.
  5. montee916

montee916 New Member

My pleasure mate, I have a friend who was also looking at doing this outfit so I know what a headache it can be hunting for info or images of it. :lol

Flightsuit looks awesome so far, great start. :thumbsup

Kendra likes this.
  6. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Thank you ! I've started to work on it and removed the pockets on both arms (except the one for the greeblie on the bottom right side). I've received the diamond gloves too, so I'm gonna start to it.

[​IMG]

jhg.jpg j;f.jpg

I used the pocket on the left side to make the new one on the right arm.

lkh.jpg ngfs.jpg yjtskdu.jpg gdsj.jpg whj.jpg jfj.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    wedge86, erinnn and pm07 like this.
  7. MyBuddyBossk

MyBuddyBossk Member

Ah YES! I was considering starting a Ground Crew build thread on the 501st New England Garrison forums as I too am super interested in this uniform. So glad to see others have done research on this as well! I'm also fairly certain the gunner-style helmet is a new sculpt. The "lip" seems to be not as extended as the OG Gunner bucket. Just my 2 cents. Could be wrong.

Kendra likes this.
  8. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

No I think you're right. This helmet is definetely new. I think the gunner imperial one is too big for a woman anyway. It look very large. I tried once to make a mandalorian bucket and the sizes for women/men are different.

9. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I have received some items :

- The buckle for the belt.It has been made by Gian, an italian member of 501st legion. I totally recommand him if you're are looking for one seller located in Europe. His craft is amazing and very accurate ! https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/222...pour-officier-imperial?ref=shop_home_active_4

DSC08776.JPG

I didn't ordered the 2 metallic boxes for the moment, because I've noticed that the one Jyn is wearing are not the same. The bottom part has a round shape and is bigger, and the upper part is smaller comparing to the imperial standard box.

qsqs.jpg

Imperial gunner box :
    boite coupe.jpg

- Gloves : DIAMOND Stone (natural). It is a bit bulky, I think I'll gonna remove some leather pieces.

gert.jpg erzs.jpg ssf.jpg qzrf.jpg

10. montee916

montee916 New Member

Also, the Gunner's helmet has the Imperial cog on the forehead area. From what I've seen, the ground crew helmet has a set of four... dimples for lack of a better term, set in a diamond shaped pattern.

PropReplicator2 likes this.
  11. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Yes I agree! I've spotted it on the hasbro figure :
    helmet.jpg

There is even 2 round rings(or something like that) on the side around the ear. I think the upper part of the helmet (above the visor) is movable. In one screen shot (from the making of), you can see that the helmet is open.
    sdg.png

12. catmew

catmew New Member

Hi, ive been stalking your post, and its been giving mw loads of resources for my build.
    Here ia what ive done so far.
    What do you guys think?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riceball, jenf0arc, canister and 2 others like this.
  13. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

This is great !! :eek Did you used EVA foam to made the chestplate ? I'm struggling to make a correct template right now^^ How did you do it ?

I think the V neck of your vest is too big, but it's just a detail. It look very good so far I think ! I'm really interest to see how it look when you're wearing it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  14. catmew

catmew New Member

I did it free hand using eva foam, So i dont actualy have a template. Ill try and gather the pieces i have and scan them later.

I dont actualy have the flight suit yet. So thats just a black jacket i used just to fill in the void,
    Im glad you like it. I will try and ask the wife for photos in the amour.

Kendra likes this.
  15. catmew

catmew New Member

Here is the front and back.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

wedge86, scooter1965 and Kendra like this.
  16. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  17. catmew

catmew New Member

I did heat seal before i painted with plastidip, used about 2 cans.
    As for the shine, im thinking of just using tire shine before we go out on any occasion. Hopefully it will look sparkling.

Here is a reference vid. Works well on a rim, should work on eva too right?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gy9Pznq4Ivg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  18. catmew

catmew New Member

Ouh, and you probbaly could look into plastidip glossifier, its unavailable in my country, so I couldn't test it.

And im thiniking of modifying this traffic light stick for the battons, as soon as i can find a couple of cheap ones
    [​IMG]

19. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I don't know, I never tried it before. It will be the first time I use EVA foam :unsure Plastidip glossifier is available in my country, so I'll make test beforehand and post pics of the result here. Thank for the information !
    I was plaining to use Eva foam and transpa art worbla or/ plexiglas for the stick, but modifying the traffic light one is a good idea. I'm gonna look around too to find something accurate enough.

20. catmew

catmew New Member

looking forward to your build. and that plastidip glossifier too. hope it all works out.

21. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I've received the FRYE veronica combat boots (dark brown color) this morning. Got it on ebay for 50$.
    ydkuf.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  22. montee916

montee916 New Member

Woah, nice score. :cool

23. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I've finished the belt (almost) the boxes are made from EVA foam. I wish to replace it by real metal in the futur... if I can find it. :rolleyes The dimension are : 6X8cm(bottom part), 5,2X7,5cm(upper part) and 1,2cm thick (each).
    The leather belt is 50cm width and I found it on ETSY : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/262...868197de5d95&gclid=CKjShIb3is8CFe4V0woddA8A6g (I've ordered 48 inches)
    And the buckle/rivet is from Gian "PhiloProps" : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/222221116/boucle-imperiale-pour-officier-imperial?ref=pr_faveitems
    beltd.jpg DSC08948.JPG

ceinture dépliée.jpg ceinture.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    erinnn and cjchiu like this.
  24. scooter1965

scooter1965 New Member

I've been following this thread, and I have found it to be very helpful. I constructed this costume for my 14-year old daughter. I'm a 501st/Rebel Legion member, and she enjoys trooping with me. As we all know, there has been very little reference material available for this costume. When I started this project a couple months ago, I was making the assumption that Jyn's Imperial disguise was a TIE pilot costume. So, I went out and purchased a low-end set of TIE pilot chest/back armor, with the hopes of modifying it. Since then, we have learned that this disguise is actually an Imperial ground crew member. I've gone ahead and assembled what I'm calling version 1.0 of my daughter's costume. The chest and back armor is far from being screen accurate, but I think it captures the overall look. She wore it at the Cincinnati Comic Expo last weekend, and we received a lot of positive feedback. I consider myself a novice costume maker. Prior to reading this thread, I would not have considered attempting to construct the armor from scratch. However, I've been really inspired by what catmew has accomplished with EVA foam. Time to start watching the YouTube tutorials. :)

There is still a lot of details that we do not know about this costume, so I think I'm going to hold off, before attempting a custom build for the armor. I'm hoping we will see more of it in the coming trailers. Or, I suppose I can wait until after the movie release. One thing that I will note, I do not want to be influenced too strongly by the 3.5 inch action figure. For example, from the four screen shots from the movie (posted above), it appears that the back piece that holds the light batons has an open configuration, as opposed to deep channels for the batons to fit into. I personally think that the deep channels were purposely added for the action figure, so that the batons can snap into place. I constructed the baton holder back piece from Sintra PVC board. I used a heat gun to curve the edges of the "V," It's anyone's guess, if this is accurate, but it is my interpretation of what I see in the screen shots. I used industrial Velcro to the hold the batons in place. Anyway, here are photos from our convention...

jyn_erso1.JPG jyn_erso2.JPG jyn_erso3.JPG jyn_erso5.JPG

wedge86, erinnn, pm07 and 3 others like this.
  25. catmew

catmew New Member

ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

Kendra, the eva foam piece, try painting them with chrome paint, i find them looking more like metal then the silver paint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26. catmew

catmew New Member

This looks awesome!
    you can thank Kendra for the thread

27. scooter1965

scooter1965 New Member

Yes, thanks Kendra for starting this thread. I'm looking forward to more posts.

28. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Re: ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

I painted them in silverchrome actually... but I will try with chrome, and see how it'll turn.

You are welcome :D Your daughter look amazing !! I really love the batons you made, what did you used ? (I was asking myself how I can make it from scratch, especially the handle/upper part of the stick in black)

29. scooter1965

scooter1965 New Member

Thanks. My daughter loves the costume.

The upper part of the batons were made from PVC pipes. They can be found in the plumbing section of your DIY/hardware stores. The lower (square cross section) parts are square cross section PVC, that I ordered on Amazon. There is a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel rod inside for support. The tear-drop shaped caps on the tops of the batons are layered Sintra that I cut and sanded. I learned that I like working with Sintra on this project. Like I said earlier, I'm a novice. :)

Kendra likes this.
  30. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

That's really interesting. I was thinking about using a PVC pipe too, and maybe worbla transpa art or plexiglas for the red part. But square cross section PVC is great too ! As I have to put some orange led light inside this part, it has to be transparent, so I don't really know if it does exist... anyway I'll try both of this method and see what'll work.
    That's the last greeblies of the costume that I will make, because I must do the backplate before anything else and see what dimensions are right for the sticks.

31. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

DSC09067.JPG DSC09088.JPG

I've update a bit my costume. I've finished the flightsuit : V neck collar, and stitched 2 strip of fabric with velcro on the bottom part of the pant (with some leftover from one leg) to tighten it above the boots. I'm wearing balck gloves (but it's not the accurate one). I will receive this week the leather dye, so I think the gloves will be soon ready. And I've started to work on the kneepad, that will be made in foam.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    pm07 and catmew like this.
  32. catmew

catmew New Member

Thant looks awesome kendra, even without the amour.

Here is a picture of me and my wife, the first time we got to wearand test it
    [​IMG]

erinnn and Kendra like this.
  33. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Thank you ! You both look amazing too !

I've finished the gloves today. It was tricky to find the good color, I used a combo of 3 leather dye (Eco-flo antic gel medium brown and eco flo leather dye bison brown are the main), then I did the finition with havane brown (to give a brown/reddish color on some parts. But I used it very cautiously and didn't applied many on the leather). The leather is difficult to dye with gel, and I applied almost 5-7 coats of medium brown and bison mixed. There is still this yellowhish look on indoor light, but I darkened it enough to hidden it a bit.

DSC09121.JPG DSC09185.JPG DSC09199.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    erinnn and cjchiu like this.
  34. scooter1965

scooter1965 New Member

You both look awesome catmew! I've been studying the Shoretrooper also, and I've noticed some similarities in the chest armor with the ground crew member. Very nice.

catmew likes this.
  35. catmew

catmew New Member

the amour carries a throughout the new characters, Shoretrooper, death trooper, hover tank driver and the ground crew from what i observe

scooter1965 likes this.
  36. DaftAider76

DaftAider76 New Member

37. Dimahleesi

Dimahleesi New Member

38. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Some news. I'm curently working on the chestplate. I've bought Espilon epoxy resin for the EVA Foam and black dye.
    DSC09292.JPG DSC09303.JPG DSC09308.JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    catmew likes this.
  39. callisto

callisto New Member

Has anyone heard anything about a sculpt/vacuform/mass produce of the armor pieces? So far I haven't seen any mention from anyone yet, just some awesome scratch builds.

Thank you!

40. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

Most of people that I know don't want to make runs yet, because there is not good visual of this costume out there. We don't really know the details of the chestplate/backplate. Maybe there will be runs, but after the release of the movie I think :)

41. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I had some fun today. Jyn have a compad on the arm, so I've tried to make one from scratch foam, inspired by the hasbro figure. It will be replace in the futur, but for now that will do :D From what I've seen, the compad is silver.

DSC09329.JPG DSC09362.JPG DSC09370.JPG

42. callisto

callisto New Member

good point!

43. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I've worked on the kneepad.

DSC09234.JPG

I cut an ovale shape into EVA foam (1.2cm), but I think it's too thick because I can't move my leg properly. I'm gonna sand it on the inside (with a dremel) and remove half of the foam.
    DSC09210.JPG DSC09218.JPG

I haven't found yet a proper elastic band to attach it to the leg that look like the accurate. The closest I've found is ski band, but it's too short and too wide :
    DSC09204.JPG

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    catmew likes this.
  44. TRCViper

TRCViper Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving this build, nice work!

Kendra likes this.
  45. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

46. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

thought these might be of use to you and other IGC builders

15252682_1107781376008282_418996965994273640_o.jpg
    15288632_10211280807961849_7471559935483351781_o.jpg

47. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-22h10m56s113.png vlcsnap-2016-11-28-22h11m29s182.png vlcsnap-2016-11-28-22h13m32s165.png vlcsnap-2016-11-28-22h13m46s50.png vlcsnap-2016-11-28-22h15m04s31.png

- - - Updated - - -

I was just about to post it ! lol

catmew likes this.
  48. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

This is an update of my costume. I've made this since last weeks. Everything is almost finish, except for the chestplate and sticks. I still need to install the light in it and fix eveything together. (It is cut in 3 parts for now).

DSC09684.JPG DSC09709.JPG DSC09732.JPG DSC09609.JPG

catmew and LeiaAurora like this.
  49. LeiaAurora

LeiaAurora New Member

Looks amazing! Did you buy the buckles or make them? I need them to finish the boots and the one on Etsy won't arrive in time.

50. Kendra

Kendra Active Member

I bought them on ETSY :unsure https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/475544692/clips-de-botte-chaussure-jyn-prop-kit?ref=shop_home_active_1 they are great, except that the small rectangular part is really fragile and it can break. One of mine did on the shoes, because I put on it too much pressure with my hand. I fixed it with super glue.

I hope you'll find something. You live in USA ?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016