Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One

I noticed.

I noticed the difference in the hero and stunt helmets... I noticed the bubble lenses on luke and Han's helmets.

I really didn't like the black frown on the troops in ESB because it ended up looking like a black line instead of "teeth"...

And ROTJ... I really never liked the way the TK helmets looked. I didn't know why... But I noticed that they just seemed lower budget looking...

I was a very artistic and observant kid...

But I promise you, I did notice.

So did I,....I collected everything,....kept scrapbooks,.....studied & digested everything,......some things improved between the films, and some things cheapened

J

Ditto. I would not have been able to, in elementary school, explain the differences, probably, but I noticed the differences in Vader, the Stormtroopers, the Imperial rank badges, the TIE Fighters, the Millennium Falcon... and the entire feel of ROTJ, from the color saturation up.

--Jonah

A newer set of Vader costumes would need to be be made for one simple reason, to be used in multiple films.

When we did the EP3 promo work and commercials the guy playing Vader was a dentist named Tom from Redondo Beach (no joke). He had taken a bad step off a single apple box and nearly the entire armor and helmet was destroyed. That was a tour Vader. To replace it OT Vader was quickly shipped in and used. That was a commercial, now imagine its a film, in another country.

Who says Vader only has 1 suit? Maybe he has a room full of them. Different helmets, capes, etc.
That makes sense for most villains. But I always felt as if he was built into his suit. "He's more machine than man"

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That makes sense for most villains. But I always felt as if he was built into his suit. "He's more machine than man"

Well, we know for a fact he can take his helmet off at least in his chamber. Like in ESB.

Well, we know for a fact he can take his helmet off at least in his chamber. Like in ESB.
He took the back of the helmet off. But luke said in jedi that if they took his breathing mask off, he would die

I agree with Astro. Personally, I also have a hard time seeing Vader having an entire assortment of near identical helmets and suits with minor variations. I see the changes/differences merely being upgrades or modifications to one existing suit. I remember someone putting forth the "fan canon" idea that the reason Vader looks a bit tarnished and rough around the edges in ANH is because he had been busy hunting down and killing the last of the Jedi. Sometime between ANH and ESB he was finally able to get some much needed repair and refurbishment to his attire, which explains the new standard in appearance from then on as he takes on a more administrative/executive role (glossier helmet/armor, widow's peak removed for whatever reason, modified electronics, different gloves, etc.). I always liked that explanation so that's kinda what I go with.

Last edited:

He took the back of the helmet off. But luke said in jedi that if they took his breathing mask off, he would die

Actually, iirc, if you look carefully it's implied the mask was removed too. You can see perhaps some sort of respirator (or feeding?) apparatus he might've been using move away to the left, right as the dome is placed. Regardless of what it is, you can tell for a brief moment that it appears the mask is connected to the dome in this scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, iirc, if you look carefully it's implied the mask was removed too. You can see perhaps some sort of respirator (or feeding?) apparatus he might've been using move away to the left, right as the dome is placed. Regardless of what it is, you can tell for a brief moment that it appears the mask is connected to the dome in this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpQsk9cGpIA

I NEVER NOTICED THAT!!! that is cool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpQsk9cGpIA

I never thought that was implied. It seems pretty obvious that the breathing part was moved from the front of his face, it appearing to be round to fit over his mouth and not the front of the voice box thingy. Someone pointed that out to me a few years ago, maybe here?? So, yes, the mask can be removed from his face and he can still live...maybe. We don't "technically" see that happen, though. I think he told Luke that he would die because he wasn't in the chamber right then.
Plus, I imagine a few wookies might have gotten some laser blasts aimed in his direction over the years, so he would 3d print new helmets with modifications from time to time. Who knows when Disney will make the story of his 3d mask modeler guy. I'll probably get the action figure, at least...

Ignoring the WTF lightsaber, this has always been the iconic Darth Vader for me, all the way back to the late '70s:

sw-darth-vader-poster-1977.jpg

The later versions never looked "right", even though it was a while before I noticed the inner robe switch, and years before I was able to understand the cumulative subliminal impact the resculpted helmet (because they lost the original), lack of widow's peak, different-colored chest lights, larger chin vent, and so forth all had. If not for costuming research, it'd probably still niggle at me, though I wouldn't be able to put my finger on it. (The Boba Fett issue, on the other hand, pisses me right off.)

--Jonah

I've honestly never noticed the differences. The ANH version looks a little rudimentary, but I always chopped that up to film making frankly, the lighting in that film is pretty rudimentary and all the blemishes show up

Eh, I don't think it was the lighting. Lol! My favorite was actually the ESB and ROTJ Vaders (both very similar) but I just thought it'd be a neat touch if any potential Rogue One Vader looked like he did in ANH since both movies occur so close together.

Regardless of whether any of our younger selves noticed differences or not (I certainly never did and even now don't much care), the fact of the matter is there was never an intentional, story driven reason for the changes. It was all just the reality of movie making.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back