Rocketeer Rocket Pack from found parts

Skaar

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So i've decided to build a Rocketeer Rocket after I woke up from the coma I was in after seeing the price for the kit online.

My reaction to the price

Im going to do it all from random parts at home depot and anywhere else I can find stuff.

9ww5V.jpg

After I saw the drain piece that's in the middle of the two steel canisters, I decided to go for a cartoonish over exaggerated rocket pack, Which gives me more room to be creative with whatever I can find.

So now I need some tips on how to cut the stainless steel canisters and I would love any ideas you guys have for the other parts that I need!!!

Last edited:
I do a bit of gunsmithing on the side as a hobby, as well as other various projects, I would recommend a variable speed dremel with a reinforced cutting blade to cut the tube. Shouldn't be that much for one and you could use it for other various projects and around the house uses. Just make sure you either have a guide or a steady hand. Do not use the standard cutting disks that they give you or else you are going to go through all 100 of them doing both tubes.

The kit does not even come with the harness. I recommend Pepakura as a starting point. I make a pretty decent replica of the rocket pack and the harness. Check out my rocket pack photo album on my RPF profile page or the link to my facebook page for more examples of my work.

I have one of these kits straight from the source not MIM. It is without a doubt one of the nicest cleanest cast kits/props I have ever bought. I was on the fence forever about it , but can say it is worth it 100%.
I can see doing a variant of the pack comic style or the like but don't waste your time with the pep file, not even close to being accurate.

I have one of these kits straight from the source not MIM. It is without a doubt one of the nicest cleanest cast kits/props I have ever bought. I was on the fence forever about it , but can say it is worth it 100%.
I can see doing a variant of the pack comic style or the like but don't waste your time with the pep file, not even close to being accurate.

My pepakura based rocket pack is an awsome / much less expensive alternative to the MIM Rocket pack. Especialy if you do not have over a thousand dolars to blow on an unfinished static prop that does not even have a harness. Check out My RPF profile page photo album. It is by no means an exact replica, however many have comented that my rocket pack captures the impact of the rocketeer prop. It even comes with a harness. I also customize the prop to my clients specifications. I and others say that it is worth it 400%.

Other than it is not the right measurements in any direction and simple it's close to the real prop. If your happy with something that kinda looks the part fine that is great. But for someone that wants an accurate prop with all the right parts and all the correct dimensions the ACME pack is the only way to go. Oh and it has the flap function and they come in machined Aluminum working hinges etc, so not static at all . ;)

what is your budget on this? I tried building my own pack using parts I found at home depot and ebay. In the end, it turned out to be a big waste of money. I could had saved it and bought the Acme pack instead.

I would recommend to keep a strict budget and not to go over it.

Acme is the maker of the pack. MIM is basically the middle man. Acme sells the rocketpack in parts so you can buy pieces at a time. If you need the contact info, feel free to pm. It is the best pack available.

I agree with finhead. I would avoid the precrapkura. It will never be close to the original and it looks funny

If building your own is still the way you want to go. I recommend reading this thread. A banned member made his very own pack. It has tons of useful information and pictures!

http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-rocketeer-jetpack-build-progress-thread-84463/

Goodluck

Like i said pep is just a starting point. Have you looked at my photo album? I added all sorts of scratch built extras to get closer to
the look of the actual prop. My build captures the overall impact and spirit of the rocket pack without the outrageous cost. Each rocket pack i make is even better than the last. All the validation i need is the look on fans faces when my client wore the first pepakura rocket pack and helmet that I had made to the 20th anniversary screening of the Rocketeer at the El capitan theater. I simply hate to hear members belittle the work and methods of other members. How about being encouraging for a change and not such prop snobs.

theUOTE=Finhead;2155141]Other than it is not the right measurements in any direction and simple it's close to the real prop. If your happy with something that kinda looks the part fine that is great. But for someone that wants an accurate prop with all the right parts and all the correct dimensions the ACME pack is the only way to go. Oh and it has the flap function and they come in machined Aluminum working hinges etc, so not static at all . ;)[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with encouragement but on this site where the most minuscule details are scrutinized you have to expect a certain amount of criticism. Without criticism and only blowing smoke up each others wahoos nobody improves at their craft. ;)

Constructive criticism is helphull. But to make blanket statements that downgrade and belittle are helpfull to no one. My objective is to provide a means that fans of certain hard to find / unavailable , or any prop for that matter are available for free or at little cost.

Constructive criticism is helphull. But to make blanket statements that downgrade and belittle are helpfull to no one. My objective is to provide a means that fans of certain hard to find / unavailable , or any prop for that matter are available for free or at little cost.

That's why I love threads like this! You clearly stated it's not going to be a screen accurate jet pack, but a similar style with some personal creative alternatives. The prop snobs will understand that, but it's the other folks you need to watch out for--luckily there aren't many here. Nobody bashes a "custom saber or blaster," so I don't think the purists will bother with a custom jet pack.
Rock on dude--can't wait to see what you come up with.

Keep at it - no matter what anyone says - in the end you'll have something that is one of a kind. Even if you're copying something. ;-)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back