RoboCop helmet (kit) build/paint

I think if I ever get another Thai kit again, I'm sending it to you Frosty after I fix the warping. Unfortunatly the warping with thai helmets is because of the type of plastic they like to use. I heat it up with a hot blow dryer and hot water, put it back to the shape it should be then I usually coat the inside with a few coats of casting resin.

The kit on Ebay looks like it's this one. Not sure.
My client sent this to me already primered (not sure if he did that or if it came like that) but I had to re-primer anyway.

I'd love to do another one of these, it was fun.
If anyone else has a Robo helmet, my services are well documented.

I can tell, or at least I think so. See the dent in the back of the neck piece, your last photo in post #13. I believe that's not supposed to be like that which is why I suspect it's a thai one. Not sure what the thai ones are recast from though. So far this has been a beautiful job.

I never noticed any defects like that when working with this.
This was a very easy kit to work on. After those Mass Effect guns I did, any kit is easy.

wow wow wow wow where did whoever the commision is for get that Kit, i want one really bad

your paint work is awsome on this so the sooner i find out where the kit is from the quicker i get it to you hahahahaha

wow wow wow wow where did whoever the commision is for get that Kit, i want one really bad

your paint work is awsome on this so the sooner i find out where the kit is from the quicker i get it to you hahahahaha

The one on ebay right now looks exactly like this, so I'm thinking that's the kit.
I will see if my client will chime in here and let you guys know where it came from.
It's a really nice kit.
The chinguard and back piece attach via magnets.

On a side note - this is my fourth helmet I've done in a row. I'd like to tackle any figure models or weaponry too if anyone is interested in my service - but I won't stop you from sending me your Robo helmet - this was a ton of fun to work on, I had the theme song stuck in my head the entire time.
Speaking of which, this thread is best viewed while listening with this in the background:

RoboCop (1987) Theme - YouTube

I'm very happy (and relieved) to get positive feedback on this.
No one is more critical of my work than me. My work is not perfect (whos is?) but I do enjoy it very much and find it very gratifying to see a project blossom from raw kit to finished product.
I have a build/paint services thread in the JY if anyone has a special kit that needs some TLC.

Hey everyone! That is my helmet the General is working on. I am so happy to have him working on it. Words can't express how happy I am with the work he has put into it. The helmet on ebay (I will provide link at the end) is this exact one. It is from the guy who worked on the fred barton Robocop busts and the upcoming Robo statue in Detroit. It comes from Canada so if you live in the US just be patient with customs it doesn't take too long.

Link for item:
Film accurate Robocop Helmet Prop - Fully Wearable! | eBay

Hey everyone! That is my helmet the General is working on. I am so happy to have him working on it. Words can't express how happy I am with the work he has put into it. The helmet on ebay (I will provide link at the end) is this exact one. It is from the guy who worked on the fred barton Robocop busts and the upcoming Robo statue in Detroit. It comes from Canada so if you live in the US just be patient with customs it doesn't take too long.

Link for item:
Film accurate Robocop Helmet Prop - Fully Wearable! | eBay

This is a very nice kit and a true pleasure to work with.
I would be happy to paint more of them...

20120620_161524.jpg

20120620_161530.jpg

20120620_161541.jpg

I'm pretty much 99% sure the movie costume had colour shift paint on it. irrespective, holy crap thats amazing work you've done there!!!

I'm pretty much 99% sure the movie costume had colour shift paint on it. irrespective, holy crap thats amazing work you've done there!!!

As far as I know, colorshift paint requires a black base.
Im pretty sure the movie armor was painted like the method I used. The key is to give the illusion of color shifting paint.
The semi-transparent laquer paints I used worked perfect (they were Pactra brand RC car paints) and I will be using them again.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back