RoboCop helmet (kit) build/paint

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by GeneralFROSTY, Apr 30, 2012.

1. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm really happy to have a client of mine be sending me a Robo helmet to paint and I'd like to nail this one for the both of us as I'm a huge fan of the film and want to do it justice.

I would be going for a Robo 2 paint scheme and I understand the general paint color used is an autobody metallic blue - does anyone have the exact paint code for this?

Also, to achieve the purple/blue metallic hues I had tested some color-shifting paint but since it requires a black basecoat, this may be more trouble than it's worth.

The other option I was looking at are the clear metallic paints offered by Pactra - has anyone used these before?

Any suggestions or links to helpful information would be appreciated, thank you!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. GeneralFROSTY

Re: RoboCop helmet - paint options?

Bump! Still asking around for help on this.

3. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I cant say for sure, but I think what they did with the paint
    Is apply a blue candy (concentrate), over a silver metallic base coat.
    This will lighten and darken, depending how much candy is applied. In this
    situation very little would be used.

The silver base coat would need to have a fine metallic, so it appears
    smooth. Along with different pearls to achieve the multi-colored look
    within the silver.

The best thing to do is take some good reference pictures, to your
    local automotive paint supplier (Dupont should be a good one!), and see
    What they could match up.

If their any good, they could come up with something for you. If they are
    Just stool pigeons, let me know. If I have some good reference pictures, I
    could figure out some colors, and give you some paint formulas to work from.

4. GeneralFROSTY

Thank you for your input! I will be visiting my local Dupont and look at some color samples.

5. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There's some good discussion over at the robocop archive forums about the different paint effects used on each movie. I think I even remember that someone was able to interview an original painter for the process info.

Nick

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. nick daring

Hmmm, going through my own "robo files" it looks like it's mostly lavender highlights and blues in the shadows in specific areas.

Tops of the ears discs and back of the head get blasts of lavender pretty consistantly.

I think the indented headband area is getting dusted with a layer of blue.

Interesting. I've never tried to pic apart the Paint pattern on robo before. I'm surprised how much the blue and purple patches stick out when you are looking for them!

:)

Nick

7. nick daring

Also here are some screen used suit pics that show the pronounced blue/lavender effect in non studio lighting-

OldPainless likes this.
  8. GeneralFROSTY

Nick,
    Thank you for taking the time to post those pics and info!
    I remember someone telling me that some green hues were also used and in those photos, I can see that now.
    Strange how studio lighting will make those colors look different.
    I've been looking at some color samples from Testors right now to see if I can find something there without having to spend the extra money on a pint of autobody paint.
    They have a nice laquer paint called "Pontiac Engine Blue" that looks good for the overall color, and then there is candy purple and candy blue for the highlights.
    I will have to pick some up at the hobby shop and do some tests.
    Once I get rolling on this, I will change this thread up with some progress photos.
    Thanks again!

9. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

If it were me I would start with a color shift paint. If you don't want to go with the high dollar quality paint I would look into Autoair. I use them all the time for airbrushing and they are great paints, would work welll for this IMO.
    AutoAir Colors

10. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

I would stick with Duplicolor auto paints. You really need three or four colors: a mint green, a silver, a blue, and a purplish. You then paint in long strokes to make wide stripes. I'd follow it up with a clear coat.

Here is my screenused Prime Directives Shoes next to my cheapie helmet. I only finished the mint green and a touch of silver, but you can see how close it is. Green is def. a prominent color although it does not appear as much on screen.

I believe all the paint I bought was in the GM family.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/robocop-prop-replica-thread-66651/index3.html#post1014613

11. GeneralFROSTY

Thank you both. I think what we are going for is the on-screen look, so green would be out. Finhead, thank you for the link - I will look into that.

12. GeneralFROSTY

Ok, looks like I need a black base for the colorshift. Though it would be a great effect, I dont think the real armor had colorshift. I will likely use the autobody paint (I will fond a good blue tinted silver color) and use candy purple and blue for light misting highlights - all tested out first of course.
    Thanks for the support guys.

13. GeneralFROSTY

Here is my progression with this so far.

I chose a laquer paint called "Titanium Silver Blue" that I purchased at an auto parts store.
    To get the best color coverage, the helmet was re-primered in white (it came pre-primered in gray).

I chose to use Krylon brand for the gloss black on the chin guard because of the smooth finish it gives. This piece was also hit with numerous coats of Krylon gloss for protection an extra shine.

The color highlights were important to make this thing "pop" like it should.
    For the blue, I used Anodized Blue (Dupli-Color) which I extracted from the spray can for use in my airbrush. I could have purchased the Candy Blue laquer RC Car paint, but I already had the Anodized paint in stock and it worked well.
    For the purple, I used "Grape Pearl" RC Car laquer paint. Like the Anodized paint, this stuff has a semi-transparent nature that was perfect for this application.
    Both colors were applied with low-pressure mists through my airbrush.

Everything was finished off with numerous coats of Krylon Gloss. This product works fantastic as it gave me the desired ultra-smooth and glossy finish.

The back piece of the helmet is being worked on right now. I am repeating the paint process used on the lid, with the exception of masking off the lower section for gloss black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow that looks perfect, I want one now.

15. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

If you don't mind my asking, where did the kit come from, or is it the thai kit off ebay?

16. GeneralFROSTY

Not sure. It's a very nice one though whomever made it.

17. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yes I would like to know too

18. nixkois

nixkois New Member

loving the paint job. are you planning on buffing the gloss coat?

19. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

This looks awesome. Thai kits are usually warped.

20. GeneralFROSTY

Not needed. The gloss is very smooth.

Finished up the back piece today.
    As per the movie, the purple and blue highlights were made more prominent on this part of the helmet.
    Once everything has had proper time to fully cure, I can assemble for finished photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I think if I ever get another Thai kit again, I'm sending it to you Frosty after I fix the warping. Unfortunatly the warping with thai helmets is because of the type of plastic they like to use. I heat it up with a hot blow dryer and hot water, put it back to the shape it should be then I usually coat the inside with a few coats of casting resin.

22. GeneralFROSTY

The kit on Ebay looks like it's this one. Not sure.
    My client sent this to me already primered (not sure if he did that or if it came like that) but I had to re-primer anyway.

I'd love to do another one of these, it was fun.
    If anyone else has a Robo helmet, my services are well documented.

23. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I can tell, or at least I think so. See the dent in the back of the neck piece, your last photo in post #13. I believe that's not supposed to be like that which is why I suspect it's a thai one. Not sure what the thai ones are recast from though. So far this has been a beautiful job.

24. GeneralFROSTY

I never noticed any defects like that when working with this.
    This was a very easy kit to work on. After those Mass Effect guns I did, any kit is easy.

25. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow wow wow wow where did whoever the commision is for get that Kit, i want one really bad

your paint work is awsome on this so the sooner i find out where the kit is from the quicker i get it to you hahahahaha

26. GeneralFROSTY

The one on ebay right now looks exactly like this, so I'm thinking that's the kit.
    I will see if my client will chime in here and let you guys know where it came from.
    It's a really nice kit.
    The chinguard and back piece attach via magnets.

On a side note - this is my fourth helmet I've done in a row. I'd like to tackle any figure models or weaponry too if anyone is interested in my service - but I won't stop you from sending me your Robo helmet - this was a ton of fun to work on, I had the theme song stuck in my head the entire time.
    Speaking of which, this thread is best viewed while listening with this in the background:

RoboCop (1987) Theme - YouTube

27. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow :confused that's some nice paintwork there general :thumbsup

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  28. GeneralFROSTY

I'm very happy (and relieved) to get positive feedback on this.
    No one is more critical of my work than me. My work is not perfect (whos is?) but I do enjoy it very much and find it very gratifying to see a project blossom from raw kit to finished product.
    I have a build/paint services thread in the JY if anyone has a special kit that needs some TLC.

29. utz716

utz716 New Member

Hey everyone! That is my helmet the General is working on. I am so happy to have him working on it. Words can't express how happy I am with the work he has put into it. The helmet on ebay (I will provide link at the end) is this exact one. It is from the guy who worked on the fred barton Robocop busts and the upcoming Robo statue in Detroit. It comes from Canada so if you live in the US just be patient with customs it doesn't take too long.

Link for item:
    Film accurate Robocop Helmet Prop - Fully Wearable! | eBay

30. GeneralFROSTY

This is a very nice kit and a true pleasure to work with.
    I would be happy to paint more of them...

31. GeneralFROSTY

32. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

That is absolutely stunning. I think you nailed it! :thumbsup

33. markomac

markomac Well-Known Member

Loving this. And am getting VERY tempted to grab another one for you to do.

Great job.

34. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Looks totally authentic!

Rich

35. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

WOW! :eek That is one FANTASTIC paint job!!!

Congrats! :):thumbsup

36. GeneralFROSTY

Thanks for the positive feedback!

37. n0regret5

n0regret5 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much 99% sure the movie costume had colour shift paint on it. irrespective, holy crap thats amazing work you've done there!!!

38. GeneralFROSTY

As far as I know, colorshift paint requires a black base.
    Im pretty sure the movie armor was painted like the method I used. The key is to give the illusion of color shifting paint.
    The semi-transparent laquer paints I used worked perfect (they were Pactra brand RC car paints) and I will be using them again.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  39. lammy

lammy Active Member

That is incredible. Just a side note, does anybody know where to get a full replica costume of this?

40. utz716

utz716 New Member

DUDE!!!!! I just had to change my drawers. I can't wait to pad it and put it on.

41. GeneralFROSTY

The only thing I don't like about this helmet is how the back attaches. Although there is magnets that attach it to the back of the jaw, there are no magnets to attach to top of it to the lid.
    Instead, there are these two awkward pieces of rubber that get screwed in.

As far as full armor goes, I know sets were available at one time, but were in the 2 to 3K range. I'm sure with the reboot coming down the pike, we will see a renewed interest in RoboCop items.

42. utz716

utz716 New Member

I agree about the way the back fits on the top of the helmet. Luckily I am going to display it more than the times I wear it....maybe LOL

43. GeneralFROSTY

Yes, when the helmet is resting on a flat surface like in the photos, the back locks into place better and more safely. Unfortunately, I would not advise putting this on a helmet stand.
    Alternatively, I can custom fabricate for you a Robo themed display base to keep your helmet on.

44. utz716

utz716 New Member

Email sent

45. utz716

utz716 New Member

From what I understand from my research and talking with many robo fans and boards etc. The original Robo 2 suit was more green/dull. They used a photosensitive film/paint on the suit so it can pop when on camera. Kind of like the Jor-El suit in Superman.

46. GF

GF Sr Member

Great job!!!!

GFollano

47. djkibaman

djkibaman New Member

wow that paint job is jaw dropper :thumbsup

48. cadilovr

cadilovr Member

Dude this is amazing paint job! I love it!

49. chris01

chris01 Active Member

Amazing job man. Do i need an airbrushed to paint a helmet im making? My helmet comes from a pepakura file.

50. GeneralFROSTY

All the detail work was done with the airbrush.

Bump to anyone who needs one painted!