robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Update: 15th Dec 2020)

It's been about a year now without a proper update. I'd love to know how these turned out.

I think now our best hope is to ping asavage himself and see if he can get some pics for us of the one I sent him. It’s the only one of the 2 that got finished. Well, technically the second one is made, but I left the main collar off and kept it with a short collar and kept it grey.

Believe it or not, I actually have an update.

I spotted the coat in the back of a Tested video the other day.

As a channel patron, I recently asked Adam whether he'd done any weathering on the coat and to my eye it looks like he might have (the collar fur looks darker). Now I don't know 100% for sure, and I'm wary of jinxing it, but it's possible there's a video coming, so stay tuned.

coat.jpg

that's very much a possibility. I thought I'd actually lost where I'd stored the pattern but I stumbled across them when I was looking through an old laptop the other day.

I'll still have to go through and see what sort of state they're in, but it's on the to-do list.

Just saw the latest ask Adam where he mentions a K coat he had made and will do a show and tell on! Hope that's yours!
I do believe it is. He looked over to the pool table when he mentioned it, which is where I thought saw it in previous videos...so hopefully it is.

that's very much a possibility. I thought I'd actually lost where I'd stored the pattern but I stumbled across them when I was looking through an old laptop the other day.

I'll still have to go through and see what sort of state they're in, but it's on the to-do list.
Any update on the pattern? I'd love to buy it from you!

Well this is only *mildly* embarrassing…the more I look at it, the more I’m not convinced it’s my coat.

I took a shot of my twin coat (still unfinished), at a similar angle and yeah, I dunno. Some stuff matches up, but the sleeves look…different. The sleeves on the one in the shop look like they are bigger around, and are maybe rotated inwards a little? That could just be the hanger as well…

The shop one appears to be coated and weathered too, which could be messing with my perception of it. Also, it looks like the main collar has been detached from the lapel on the left side and some of the lapel fur has been unpicked too.

not really sure what to make of it.

3B627335-CABC-43A0-9034-6360E5650562.jpeg

Looks like it's been a while since the last update. Just curious if you had gotten around to setting up the pattern? I'm hoping to make an officer K build for a local con coming in a few months.

View attachment 1378409

Late last year I finally finished off my Kylo Ren TFA build (my first costume replica) after just about 2 years of working on it.

View attachment 1378410

By that point I was adamant that my next build would be a simpler, one item build.

So naturally I picked K's coat from Blade Runner 2049. A coat with about 70-odd pieces all up...and I've decided to make 2 of them.

Go me.

Timeframe:
I want to get these done a LOT quicker than my Kylo build, so I'm targetting having them done by mid-March at the latest, end of February at the earliest.

First Steps:
The first thing I had to do was draft the pattern. The first steps of this was actually done by laying masking tape over the coat on the NECA 7 inch version, peeling it off and laying it down on some paper. That gave me the rough shapes I was aiming for.

From there I sketched up a pattern for the torso of the coat, but I had to make a physical scale paper version if the sleeve to make sense of all the shapes.

Once I had a rough pattern in place, I took it all into Marvelous Designer, and blocked it all out on the mannequin in there that I'd previously sized to me for my Kylo build.

From there it was just a process of revision. I'd print out a scale version of the pattern and keep revising it till I was happy with it.

Here's the lineup of the first 6 iterations of the pattern:

View attachment 1378411

I was then confident enough in the pattern that I printed off a full size version, and made a mockup in calico (excuse the janky bathroom photos).

View attachment 1378412

I wore it around the house for a good while see if I was happy with the fit, and if it needed a few changes (I was, but it did). Then, after making the adjustments to the pattern I decided to do a final paper mockup complete with working collar buckle and functional welt pockets (I have issues):

View attachment 1378413

I then spent the next few days drawing up the proper, final patterns in illustrator and printed them off:

View attachment 1378414

That, my friends, is 83 A4 pages of pain that I now have the joyous privelege of cutting out and sticking together with tape.

----------------------------

That's all for now. I hope to document as much of the build as I can over the next month or so. I'm just waiting on a few more bits of fabric before I can fully start. I should have a post next week going over all the fabric I'm using as well as the saga of getting it the right colour (there's some of that in the big K thread though).

EDIT: just a quick note, up there I kind of made it sound like I based my whole pattern off of the NECA figure. I didn't. It was an early part of it, but I've been studying this coat for countless hours since last October, I've taken a whole bunch of measurements off of it from the ARC display and various hi-res promo shots (counting stitches, counting the weave in the canvas, measuring angles...all sorts of insane stuff), so I'm very confident in the pattern I've done.
Hi there, Your work is amazing!! I have been looking for some good pattern reference for the coat.
I would like to know if I can buy the pattern, a scanner or any digital format will work, please let me know!! thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back