robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Update: 15th Dec 2020)

View attachment 1378409

Late last year I finally finished off my Kylo Ren TFA build (my first costume replica) after just about 2 years of working on it.

View attachment 1378410

By that point I was adamant that my next build would be a simpler, one item build.

So naturally I picked K's coat from Blade Runner 2049. A coat with about 70-odd pieces all up...and I've decided to make 2 of them.

Go me.

Timeframe:
I want to get these done a LOT quicker than my Kylo build, so I'm targetting having them done by mid-March at the latest, end of February at the earliest.

First Steps:
The first thing I had to do was draft the pattern. The first steps of this was actually done by laying masking tape over the coat on the NECA 7 inch version, peeling it off and laying it down on some paper. That gave me the rough shapes I was aiming for.

From there I sketched up a pattern for the torso of the coat, but I had to make a physical scale paper version if the sleeve to make sense of all the shapes.

Once I had a rough pattern in place, I took it all into Marvelous Designer, and blocked it all out on the mannequin in there that I'd previously sized to me for my Kylo build.

From there it was just a process of revision. I'd print out a scale version of the pattern and keep revising it till I was happy with it.

Here's the lineup of the first 6 iterations of the pattern:

View attachment 1378411

I was then confident enough in the pattern that I printed off a full size version, and made a mockup in calico (excuse the janky bathroom photos).

View attachment 1378412

I wore it around the house for a good while see if I was happy with the fit, and if it needed a few changes (I was, but it did). Then, after making the adjustments to the pattern I decided to do a final paper mockup complete with working collar buckle and functional welt pockets (I have issues):

View attachment 1378413

I then spent the next few days drawing up the proper, final patterns in illustrator and printed them off:

View attachment 1378414

That, my friends, is 83 A4 pages of pain that I now have the joyous privelege of cutting out and sticking together with tape.

----------------------------

That's all for now. I hope to document as much of the build as I can over the next month or so. I'm just waiting on a few more bits of fabric before I can fully start. I should have a post next week going over all the fabric I'm using as well as the saga of getting it the right colour (there's some of that in the big K thread though).

EDIT: just a quick note, up there I kind of made it sound like I based my whole pattern off of the NECA figure. I didn't. It was an early part of it, but I've been studying this coat for countless hours since last October, I've taken a whole bunch of measurements off of it from the ARC display and various hi-res promo shots (counting stitches, counting the weave in the canvas, measuring angles...all sorts of insane stuff), so I'm very confident in the pattern I've done.
Will you be making a file for the Template? I would also like to make a coat similar to this.

View attachment 1378409

Late last year I finally finished off my Kylo Ren TFA build (my first costume replica) after just about 2 years of working on it.

View attachment 1378410

By that point I was adamant that my next build would be a simpler, one item build.

So naturally I picked K's coat from Blade Runner 2049. A coat with about 70-odd pieces all up...and I've decided to make 2 of them.

Go me.

Timeframe:
I want to get these done a LOT quicker than my Kylo build, so I'm targetting having them done by mid-March at the latest, end of February at the earliest.

First Steps:
The first thing I had to do was draft the pattern. The first steps of this was actually done by laying masking tape over the coat on the NECA 7 inch version, peeling it off and laying it down on some paper. That gave me the rough shapes I was aiming for.

From there I sketched up a pattern for the torso of the coat, but I had to make a physical scale paper version if the sleeve to make sense of all the shapes.

Once I had a rough pattern in place, I took it all into Marvelous Designer, and blocked it all out on the mannequin in there that I'd previously sized to me for my Kylo build.

From there it was just a process of revision. I'd print out a scale version of the pattern and keep revising it till I was happy with it.

Here's the lineup of the first 6 iterations of the pattern:

View attachment 1378411

I was then confident enough in the pattern that I printed off a full size version, and made a mockup in calico (excuse the janky bathroom photos).

View attachment 1378412

I wore it around the house for a good while see if I was happy with the fit, and if it needed a few changes (I was, but it did). Then, after making the adjustments to the pattern I decided to do a final paper mockup complete with working collar buckle and functional welt pockets (I have issues):

View attachment 1378413

I then spent the next few days drawing up the proper, final patterns in illustrator and printed them off:

View attachment 1378414

That, my friends, is 83 A4 pages of pain that I now have the joyous privelege of cutting out and sticking together with tape.

----------------------------

That's all for now. I hope to document as much of the build as I can over the next month or so. I'm just waiting on a few more bits of fabric before I can fully start. I should have a post next week going over all the fabric I'm using as well as the saga of getting it the right colour (there's some of that in the big K thread though).

EDIT: just a quick note, up there I kind of made it sound like I based my whole pattern off of the NECA figure. I didn't. It was an early part of it, but I've been studying this coat for countless hours since last October, I've taken a whole bunch of measurements off of it from the ARC display and various hi-res promo shots (counting stitches, counting the weave in the canvas, measuring angles...all sorts of insane stuff), so I'm very confident in the pattern I've done.
Do you still have the file for the plan? I would like to try my hand at this design myself as well.

just wanted to drop a quick post here in case anyone comes looking and wondering.

in a few Tested videos recently, there's been a K coat in the background. I had initally hoped it was the one I had made for Adam, but it seems it isn't (which i had mostly guessed from a few appearances of the coat during covid, but I'm sure now).

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 1.06.15 pm.png

pocket sizes and placement are different, fur is shaggier, and most telling (for me) is the magnets are orientated horizontally whereas mine were vertical.

this is me wearing the coat I sent to Adam:
kfDaxTU.jpg

So yeah, it's a different coat. Not sure I'll ever know what happened to the one I made. Hopefully this other coat's prominence in videos lately means a video is finally coming and I can get some clarifcation. The 5+ year odyssey continues.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back