robo3687's Iron Man Pep Files - SD War Machine links page 73

Re: robo3687's Pep Files -Imperial Commando helmet posted! 25/9/10

just FYI to those that are doing the chest lighting and want an actual LED in the chest i found that you dont need a whole lot. in one of the test chests i cut a small hole in the top, coated the inside with clear gloss, and used a sheet of plastic that you get in a toy package (transformers collector) and used a bit of sand paper to scuff up the inside of the sheet , cut it to fit and glued it in. the light bounces off of the bottom of the inside of the triangle (should work better in the circle version) and spreads evenly across the whole thing.

on another note - re peping all of the parts again and was curious if the neck is all one part once its assembled or does it stay in 3 sperate parts? never actually did robo's neck - i used Dancin_Fool's neck which is SLIGHTLY incompatable but still works to some degree.

Whats your waist size by the way and the scale size that you ended up using?

I kept mine pretty much the same scale as the original files. I did expand the codpiece and abs 5% as I could not fit into it at all without adding about 2 inches around it.

My size is 5'9.25", 160 pounds, shoe size 9.5. Wll be working on the feet this week.

I had to laugh at Don Cheadle's comments on the bonus disc of IM2. He said something to the effect of how cool wearing the suit was, but it was even cooler to be able to take it off!

Sure mirrored my thoughts after my test fitting last week! :lol

Anyone have any tips of the boots? I mean... how to fiberglass it since it's kinda incased. and how to strengthen it so that it supports my weight.

Specifically the heel part of the boot. its completely closed in. my ideas going through my head are resin the outside then cut out a section so that i can fiberglass inside then reattach the hole i cut out. is that going to work?

Last edited:

@ Laveniuk: A few ideas have been past backwards and forwards. My own personal attack on this area will be expanding foam inside the cavity ;) cheap and cheerful. Then the usual bodyfiller on the outside to shape, and choose a sole of your choice. Anyone who disagrees with this please say cos my mate thinks it wont work... but he's a window licker.

@ Laveniuk: A few ideas have been past backwards and forwards. My own personal attack on this area will be expanding foam inside the cavity ;) cheap and cheerful. Then the usual bodyfiller on the outside to shape, and choose a sole of your choice. Anyone who disagrees with this please say cos my mate thinks it wont work... but he's a window licker.

I was thinking of that kind of thing too, but would the foam be durable enough when its hard? ill look up the specs on that stuff to see what pressure ratings it has. cause if its going to crush under me, I dont want that! (of course) :lol

As far as filling the heel and toe, I haven't decided on a particular product yet, but here's how I'm tackling the "How do I get it in there?" question:

imheel.jpg

I cut out the large platform piece before I glued everything up, leaving just a little under a centimeter at the perimeter. I haven't come up with a perfect game plan for the toe part, but I'll likely leave the large platform out of that as well. The goal is to find something in a sturdy rubber (something) to fill these two parts with, so there's an actual durable and flexible sole to stand on. I plan on altering the actual foot portion so it becomes a covering for a regular pair of tennis shoes. If all goes well, the shoes will be adhered to the new IM soles, and the foot covering will hide them perfectly.

If all goes well.

Since there's absolutely no way I'm going to have it done this year, it'll be next year's costume when nobody's excited about Iron Man anymore. :lol

Think about 34 inches. I built the default codpiece and it would not fit without adding 2 inches. I think the default was built for 34 inches I read. I increased it globally with pdf and illustrator 105% and the waist should have increased to 35.7 inches which fits real nicely.

well here's my "prototype" finished boots....

the interior of the boots specially the separated parts are filled with rubber sheets stacked well to support my weight...since rubber is used in using sandals then i get the idea that it will support weight...as for strengthening the exterior parts....i used few fiberglass resin and varnished it with 7 layers....well...thats how my prototype works...

(sorry for the blurred webcam pictures....)

Hey guys, i didnt really want to start my own thread at this point, but here is my helmet build thus far... Coming along quite nicely i think :) I'm finishing up the final stages of filler, primer, sand, repeat.. Its gonna be smooth as glass before i do any sort of actual painting on this thing. I want a near perfect paint job with wet sanding between layers etc.

09302010042.jpg

09302010040.jpg

09302010039.jpg

09302010038.jpg

09302010035.jpg

09302010045.jpg

It fits really well too. Should i decide to mold/cast it, there will be even more room inside as there is a lot of filler and such on the inside.

I love seeing everyones IM builds, so more pictures the better!! I'm going to start mine eventually.. hopefully. After this helmet is done perhaps. I also want to take a cast of this helmet and modify it to be a really accurate mk v helmet

Keep the Iron Man progress pics coming!

Last edited:

Hey guys, i didnt really want to start my own thread at this point, but here is my helmet build thus far... Coming along quite nicely i think :) I'm finishing up the final stages of filler, primer, sand, repeat.. Its gonna be smooth as glass before i do any sort of actual painting on this thing. I want a near perfect paint job with wet sanding between layers etc.

09302010042.jpg

09302010040.jpg

09302010039.jpg

09302010038.jpg

09302010035.jpg

09302010045.jpg

It fits really well too. Should i decide to mold/cast it, there will be even more room inside as there is a lot of filler and such on the inside.

I love seeing everyones IM builds, so more pictures the better!! I'm going to start mine eventually.. hopefully. After this helmet is done perhaps. I also want to take a cast of this helmet and modify it to be a really accurate mk v helmet

Keep the Iron Man progress pics coming!

Looking great, good job so far bimmer:thumbsup

@bimmer cool, do you have a hinge? i lose alot of sleep over this lol, so im going to just use magnets for the face plate and chin!

2689-img-0196.jpg

2691-img-0201.jpg

2690-img-0200.jpg

@ Bimmer - PM Sent!

@ Skynet23 - Amazing build so far, what resin are you using that is yellow? Can't wait to see it finished!!

Almost 3 am and I'm still bonding, sanding and priming XD
need to have it ready in 3 weeks!!!
DSC02398.jpg
DSC02409.jpg
DSC02410.jpg

How can you guys make the surface that smooth?
Just an ordinary sand paper
or mix with other tools/ machine?

What are they called? Any photos?

It really took me a long time to make a single surface smooth.

@darthvtech, dont worry i sat there slapping myself for thinking the same thing. Felt stupid when contec that it was yellow paper lol. Funny as hell though :-D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back