Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)

TheLadyNerd

It's that time again!

As with Tomb Raider 2013, I'll start gathering information when there's only concept art out, but by golly, a costume shall be done! (Even if it takes me two years, like last time...) But rather than just making it a personal progress thread, I'm going to open it up for anyone to post progress, questions, and finds. It served well for last year's TR thread or threads like Tron:Legacy (how many hundreds of pages is that thing at now?). Without further adieu, here's my findings thus far...

Hair
Looks to be the same haircut - ponytail with long bangs.

Makeup
Still dirty! :p Base neutrals with significant amounts of dirt, but no blood (yet) and light smokey eyes.

Jacket (1)
Military-esque army green (with a slight greyish tinge) jacket that comes down around the hips with fur-lined hood. Fur looks to be a greyish-brown hue. Belted (concept art has a woven leather belt wrapping around like straps rather than a traditional belt). 2 pockets on the bottom. Two thin black straps tied around right arm on the bicep. Distressed.

Jacket (2)
However, Lara is wearing a completely different jacket in the therapist's office. Looks like be a lighter, hooded grey hoodie under a leather jacket. (Personally, I'm digging the Assassin's Creed-esque hood. :) )

Hands
Leather strap wrappings around wrists with bandages around hands. Unfortunately I can't quite see what she's wearing in the trailer/actual game.

Scarf
Looks to be a plain light grey or off-white natural-fiber scarf (I'm going to guess cotton). Though I'm seeing a lot of artist renderings with more texture and colour. Is there a screencapture they're basing this off of?

Pants
I can't quite tell if they're the same pants from the last game or new ones. They look to be the same type of form-fitting pants, but I'm unsure if they have the same cargo pockets. And like last time, what colour they REALLY are.

Does anyone know what's going with the back of her pants in this screencapture?

Boots
Looks to be the same boots as the last game, which we determined to be Timberland Charles Street boots. I imagine I'll be rebellious again and wear my Timberland Dusseldorf boots. Tall boots are just a Lara Croft staple, in my humble opinion.

Bow
According to the concept art, Lara has her stick bow again. However, the trailer screencaps show what looks to be a possible compound bow.

Arrows
According to the concept art, it's the same turkey feathers used in the previous game. Thankfully, those are quite easy to find.

Quiver
Is this a different build than the previous quiver? It looks similar, but much darker the top rings look different. It still sports the same leather strap binding. Also a leather strap instead of the M1 sling from the previous game.

Holster

Looks to possibly be same as the last game.

Pick Axe
Great find already put together by Division6. Looks like Lara has gotten rid of the red axe for a silver model of the DMM Rebel. I wonder why that changed...

Here is an artist's rendering of what he thinks the full outfit looks like. Looks fairly spot-on from what I can see thus far. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think the far right image of her face in the artist's rendering looks a lot like you, actually.

I haven't played the games, but I enjoyed reading your thread last time and I appreciate your attention to the little details. I'm glad I'm not the only one who pays attention to the little stuff like that in a film, tv show, game, etc.

Back for round 2. :thumbsup

The black straps on the legs are probably part of a climbing harness.
They are not present in the cave.

The grey green color is commonly referred to as sage. ;)

Looks like the scarf has some stripes or pattern on it.
14649871606_0e1a37ac01_b.jpg

She also has some fingerless gloves on.
14486207749_51f539ec37_o.jpg

A few other details.
Besides no "harness" straps on the legs the holster is open bottomed and the quiver strap has a fastex clip.
14670548224_d8d973125d_o.jpg

Looks like the scarf has some stripes or pattern on it.
View attachment 350020

She also has some fingerless gloves on.
View attachment 350021

A few other details.
Besides no "harness" straps on the legs the holster is open bottomed and the quiver strap has a fastex clip.
View attachment 350027

It is looking like you're making great progress lady nerd!!! :D I think personally things look to be the same as last game but guess we will find out sooner as release date comes. I'm a bit confident it'll be the same due to the other screen caps of concept art
http://www.gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/10397186_569772566475070_766701320613035298_o.jpg

Nice catch on the harness division :)

Round 2 indeed. BRING IT!

Ah, very true. Hadn't even thought of a climbing harness, but I had also noted that she didn't seem to have it in every shot. But as we learned with last time, Lara has a ton of props throughout the game.

And this is why Division 6 saves our butts every time. You have the best screencaptures, not to mention an amazing eye. I couldn't see any pattern on my lower-res screenshots. But yours definitely shows some type of pattern. I did note fingerless gloves in a bunch of artist renderings, so I figured it had to be coming from somewhere, but couldn't find exactly where. Thanks for those shots! Looks to be a grey, possibly leather (?) material.

The holster IS open-bottomed! Oh goodie, I might be able to use my holster from last time then (as mine is open bottomed since I had it made before the game came out).

LixCroft - Thanks! You are making fantastic progress yourself. :)

My dear friend The Lady Nerd, invited us tomb raider cosplayers to come share our progress on her thread :) For those of you who don't know me, i'm Sara, I run www.tombraidercosplay.com and as you can imagine everyone in our community has been completely excited for the new game, and a bunch of us already cosplayed the concept/announcement trailer version, even though we have nothing solid to go on, we couldn't help ourselves lol, i certainly couldn't.

The picture below is me trying to copy the official concept render.. Yup too excited!
10429319_788865134471710_4334034563741795400_n.jpg10306396_618837468224319_9168900787635433475_n.jpg

The only thing i bought was my jacket for $11.99, from a store on ebay which unfortunately is out of stock , but here is a link just in case it's back, they only thing i should warn you about is that it's longer than Lara's about 6 inches too long, but easily fixable with a sewing machine.
jacket.jpg

Last edited:
Weird... even though in the one shot the DMM Rebel appears to be Silver, in the concept art below it's now red. Also, in that lower concept drawing she's also got the old quiver.

The pants are going to be tricky again too cuz they appear brown in the "silver DMM" pic, but appear to be grey in the "Red DMM" pics

Also, that *may* be a Shemagh around her neck. the pattern looks similar.. could be a sage coloured one. I have some like that in my store.

The only thing I can't tell for sure is if it's tied around her neck, or if it's one of those infinity loop style scarves. If it is the latter, one could buy a shemagh and sew it into an infinity loop style.

IDK... there is SO much dissention between the different concepts (just like last time) that it's going to be a mess figuring out what's "correct" this early on. :-/

Last edited:
IMO there are too many girls cosplaying Lara Croft with mini shorts and, a small top and two pistols. It's nice to see somebody interested in an accurate cosplay in a different and new version of Lara :)

http://www.therpf.com/f12/rpfer-theladynerd-hospital-really-bad-car-accident-222443/

click the the link above to donate to TheLadyNerd's recovery and medical fundraiser.

Done! And thank you James Kenobi for posting this here. I haven't spoken with Briana in a while and was unaware of her calamity. I've also shared it on my FB so hopefully she will gain more support.

Now hurry up and heal Briana, so we can work on this stuff together! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sara! How did this thing run as to size when you got yours? Big? Horribly undersized? (like most things coming from china these days... they think an XL is someone with a 30" waist :p )

Yeah, I don't know her personally but she's a fab costumer and seems a sweetheart and as a fellow RPFer we've got to look out for our own. Hopefully she's recovering quickly and will be back soon.

Oh my goodness, you guys...I'm going to tear up...thank you so much not only for mentioning about my accident/recovery/fundraiser, but reminding me why I love the RPF and being a part of this wonderful community.

As a quick aside for anyone interested, I was in a nasty car accident on August 19 on my way to work (just got released from the hospital recently). I was T-boned in the driver's side at full force and shattered my pelvis in half. But I am incredibly grateful and lucky to be alive. I was told that if it weren't for me being skinny and my car not having a middle console, I would've died. Even the fact that all that's wrong with me is a broken pelvis, concussion, eyelid laceration/scar, and bone bruises is extremely good. I've heard from multiple people that the same type of car accident killed their loved ones. So I'm so thankful to be here.

But being silly me, I can't be stopped from cosplaying. Currently, I'm working on a Tomb Raider based idea - In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft appears to be struggling greatly with PTSD (as she should from the trauma in the first game!). I've been racking my brain to see if there's any cosplay stuff I can do even in my injured state and I think I've come up with an idea....Ms. Croft would be quite battered, I imagine, coming home from Yamatai. No doubt they'd find injuries and she'd be in some sort of physical rehab as well as counseling. Put me back in my Tomb Raider clothes, put some more scar makeup on me, put in my wheelchair/walker, and voila! A photoshoot! :)

Sara - So glad you made it over here! I love your cosplay render so far. As usual, I'm sure I'll be way behind you and the others on getting my costume together, but go you for jumping in headfirst! Also, nice find on the jacket!

Kristen - Her pants are always going to be a nightmare, methinks. But, on the bright side, that means, like last time, there may be a wider array of pants that us cosplayers can use for her and still look fairly accurate. Hmm, you may be right on the scarf pattern. I'll be curious if you turn out to be correct (I remember us all trying to figure out the necklace pendant design last year. That was entertaining! :p )

Blackluc - Thank you! I thought the same thing last year when I did the new Tomb Raider. Granted, that's also because I felt I could never really pull off classic Lara, but this new Lara I feel I look slightly more like. So, oh the possibilities!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the weather is turning chilly (apparently there's some sort of Arctic chill blasting in next week), which turns my thoughts towards warmer clothing. What better time to look for a certain Lady Croft's fur-lined coat and scarf, eh? The main problem I'm running into with that is that so far there's only been a limited look at Lara Croft's outfit from the 2015 game. (There's a lot of wonderful artist renderings on DeviantArt, but I wonder if the official outfit may be different). I'd hate to buy a coat now based on one of those illustrations and the actual game have something quite different. Same with the scarf. There seems to be one pattern that artists are going with, but I'm not seeing it on hi-res screencaps from the trailer (there IS a pattern, as Division 6 pointed out, but it doesn't appear to be the same pattern).

Thoughts?

Thanks to Game Informer, we now have another good look at the new 2015 Rise of the Tomb Raider getup, this time with Lara sporting a red coat and a whole lot of snow dusting. The new game takes place in Siberia (good news for all of you northern cosplayers and your snow-laden lands!), so this will, no doubt, be a very warm outfit (so be prepared when summer cons come. You might want to build a cooling pack in, depending).

Looks to be alot of the same gear from the last game. So if you've already done a Tomb Raider costume, you may already be ahead of the game on some of the props. (Speaking of which, I need to get me an ice pick or two. I never did procure one for my last cosplay).

Additions:
- Fur-lined red puffer jacket with mystery emblem on left shoulder
- Orange googles
- Hat??
- Not one, but TWO ice picks/axes
- Black winter gloves
- Black and yellow mountain climbing harness

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back