Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)

Hi everyone,

After seeing the great gear guide I started doing some research and I believe that I have found the main body of the holster and the long ammo pouch. The holster is the #YU-2-Outrider from a great leather company called Chisholm's Trail.
View attachment 446471

The long ammo pouch seems to be a Swedish magazine pouch for the KG m/21

View attachment 446475

I have already started working on the pattern for Lara's holster and pouches so hopefully the smaller pouch will be found soon!

The holster does look right.. but it runs $99.95. I think I'll make my own.. it isn't really that hard. Not to mention the belt that they offer with it is completely wrong so I'd have to come up with that anyway. I think I could handle putting it together, after I managed to make the one from the last game :)

I'll have to do some looking for that "Swedish" pouch. I've looked a bit on Ebay but haven't found that one yet. One more thing about that... if you look at the drawing of it in the gear guide you can see individual rifle cartridges through the front of it. I'd been wondering if that was just for illustration, or if the front of the pouch was cut away. It sort of looks in the picture like it was cut or torn away.

I just found the small ammo pouch! It is a medieval coin pouch offered by a talented leather-worker at DBK Leatherworks. It looks like it would have to be altered a little to sit on the belt the same way as in the concept photos but that should not be a real problem.

Here is the link to check it out - http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/leatherworkspouches.html

View attachment 446511

The pouch does appear similar at first glance... but if you look at the way that it hangs on the belt, not only is that different to how Lara's is hung, but hers essentially has a flap over the top which is held down by the drawstring. The one in this pic doesn't have a flap... the "loop" with which it hangs on the belt forms the front and back of the pouch and the two are drawn together by the drawstring to close it. If you cut the "loop" off the top to try to make it closer to how it attaches to lara's belt, you'd have no flap.

I guess that I don't know for 100% sure that hers has a flap.. but it seems to.

Excellent reference for the business end. link
The whole assembly comes out and the plug makes it into a regular bayonet.

Looks like there is or at least was some one selling rubber copies (dated 2012)
link

Last edited:
The holster does look right.. but it runs $99.95. I think I'll make my own.. it isn't really that hard.

I'll have to do some looking for that "Swedish" pouch. I've looked a bit on Ebay but haven't found that one yet. One more thing about that... if you look at the drawing of it in the gear guide you can see individual rifle cartridges through the front of it. I'd been wondering if that was just for illustration, or if the front of the pouch was cut away. It sort of looks in the picture like it was cut or torn away.

All of the photos I posted look to be the exact ones the artist used to make the concept art. If you look closely at the photos and the concept art you can see that even the lighting is the same as well as specific markings. On the rifle cartridge pouch the illustrator just added the opening so you could see the cartridges. If you look at the top of the flap you can clearly see how they covered up the crown stamp from the original photo. For the smaller pouch all they did was flip the image and crop the photo down so you could not see the "loop." It would be very easy to add a belt loop on the back of the pouch so that it sits correctly on the belt. I really do not think that the small pouch has a flap but I guess we will have to wait for more photos of the game. The belt shown with the holster is not included at the $99.95 price so that is no problem. I'm just happy to have better photos so that I can start making patterns for this very cool holster! Here are a few comparison photos that I hope will show what I'm talking about a little better.

Holster Comparison.jpg Pouch 1 Comparison.jpg Pouch 2 Comparison.jpg

I realise that the belt wasn't included for the price... that wasn't my point. Rather it was that the belt that goes with it as a set isn't right, and that for the price of 100.00 I could make my own "john wayne style" holster. Granted not everybody could, but I can. That was my only point.

As I'd said before I also *think* that the magazine pouch is cut away for illustration purposes only... but the one thing that makes me doubt is the fact that it's shown the exact same way on the full picture of Lara. In most illustration the cutaway detail stuff is left for the "closeup views", while the full picture is usually meant to reflect the real-life look. Dunno... guess it wouldn't be that hard to cut away some of the pouch if it turns out that you can see the shells in-game. We shall have to wait and see.

It does appear that you are correct i terms of the cut-and-paste way in which the concept art was assembled. However, as nice as it is to have this guide this soon, we all know that in-game things can look different. remember all of the fun we had with the different looks of Lara's ice Axe in the last game? Some pictures showed the carabiner latchpoint hole in the shaft of the axe, and some did not. Ultimately the in-game version did not.

It's all good info... but still we'll have to wait and see on the final details.

The long ammo pouch seems to be a Swedish magazine pouch for the KG m/21

View attachment 446475

I am still left wondering how you came across this? I have done several searches online for images of this pouch... even copy-pasting your exact description of the weapon with which it goes and still no image resembling the one above comes up. Am I missing something?

{EDIT} After some more digging I did confirm the identity of the pouch to be what you've said... for the KG/M21 --OR-- Model 37 Swedish BAR. It's to hold two 20 round magazines though... so it's strange that the illustration appears to show rifle cartridges (presumeably) in stripper clips... though it wouldn't be the first time that a Military pouch was designed to carry ammo either way.

I STILL have not stumbled upon the exact picture that you have above... :p Working as i do in a Military Surplus Store, I do know that we have had some of these pouches in the past... but they were all much lighter in colour than the "mahogany" finish that this one has. Easy fix for that, though :)

Also it might be noted that these pouches really have a bit of a different shape to them in the *real* world. The picture used for the concept art was one of a pouch which had been severely flattened (probably due to storage) and so it almost appears as if it's a quite thin pouch with a heavily bound edge... whereas the *real* pouches have do defined edge around the "face" of the pouch, and they aren't quite so thin looking, as ther are meant to hold the combined thickness of two magazines.

The fact that we often get fixated on the look of something in the specific medium that we're given makes it tough on us when we come across the real world item... it often looks quite different and we're left doubting what the right item really is. I had a similar problem with the last game's ammo pouches, as even though Division6 correctly ID'ed the "grey" pouch as a Rothco/Fox Outdoor canvas utility pouch, the size of it had been manipulated in-game so that it appeared much smaller than the actual pouch was, which threw us all off. Also, we had a bugger of a time figuring out the "green" pouch back then, and it was only after the game was long out that i discovered it was a pouch for a single 15 round M-14 magazine. The look of the pouch in-game was a bit different to what the real pouch looked like, and the scale was also thrown off by the undersized "grey" pouch next to it.

OHHH, the troubles we've seen :p

Last edited:
Found the original pouch image on a war relics forum.
Found it using "leather ammo pouch swedish" on Google
Some guy took several pouches apart to make watch bands. :facepalm
The up side is big pix of the open parts laid out.
link
I cringe as I scroll through images of pouches cut up and made into watch bands.
Must be something popular to do these days.

Found on collector sites.
Designed to carry 2 20 round magazines for the Swedish 6.5x55 caliber Model 37 BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) type service arms. Features a belt loop on the back, closure flap and an internal draw strap to raise up the contents. 7 x 4 x 2 inches in size.
Price $10 - $30

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's what I've picked to be the start of Lara's Red Parka:

It's pretty close. It's a knock-off Canada Goose Solaris Ladies Parka. It doesn't have the black shoulder caps or the zippered pocket on the left breast, but those are fixable things. First the black shoulder caps:

I have the back panel complete. Next I've got to make the two front panels and then this detail is DONE. Then I'll move on to the zippered pocket on the chest after that.

I used a heavy nylon camper's stuff sack for the black shoulder caps. It makes total sense as it's very durable and water repellent to keep snow from soaking your shoulders. And at five dollars it was a bargain cuz it yielded more than twice as much material as I need to do the shoulders.

I'll update again when I have the two front panels done.

Very cool. And if I'd been climbing around Yamatai in a sleeveless top, I'd be buying myself a parka like this, too!

Started playing the game last night!! AWESOME!!!

Have to thank my wonderful hubby for getting it for me as an early Christmas Gift! :thumbsup

I have a sneaking suspicion that as I continue to play it, my everyday wardrobe choices are going to morph.... :p I'll also likely get the itch to actually make some outfits from this game... somehow I missed catching the bug earlier (apart from the Parka above) but I can feel that this will soon change LOL.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back