Rinzler's Making of The Force Awakens

Isn't it just a direction from JJ saying "Copy ANH"? :devil
m7gmOZl.gif

Last I checked it's still on schedule for an October 2016 release (originally March). I have it on pre-order and my bookstore still has it as "available" as such, so it hasn't been cancelled. Just pushed back six months for whatever reason.

--Jonah

So that's what's going on? I love the "Making Of..." books and hope this proceeds, even if it does hurt George's apparently delicate feelings. I've long suspected there was some bad blood and would be interested to hear exactly what happened. I'd also love to see what his take on Ep.7 would've been...

Here's the deal. Disney didn't use GL's treatment and they would rather not make more hard feelings with him.

That...makes a lot of sense. I remember Lucas basically feeling disgruntled for a bit when they went in a different direction from his ideas. No need to do a "tell-all" book about it. Plus, it's bad for business to have the father of the franchise out there bashing it (or being bashed) while you're trying to sell people on your new direction for the franchise itself.

That...makes a lot of sense. I remember Lucas basically feeling disgruntled for a bit when they went in a different direction from his ideas. No need to do a "tell-all" book about it. Plus, it's bad for business to have the father of the franchise out there bashing it (or being bashed) while you're trying to sell people on your new direction for the franchise itself.

And it's the path of least resistance. Not many people will be upset by the change of release or content and they don't want to realeas a book that may diminish GL's legacy. It's the right call.

What kind of scandalous content might this book contain? I'm not getting what it would contain that would diminish his legacy any more than the previous books did...

What kind of scandalous content might this book contain? I'm not getting what it would contain that would diminish his legacy any more than the previous books did...

Totally different situation. Disney bought LF with GL's blessing. Disney wasn't thrilled with his treatments for the sequel trilogy and brought in Kasdan and eventually JJ to rewrite them. Disney has no interest in dredging that up in a Making Of book licensed by LF.

I just can't imagine it'd make much difference but it does sound like there must be a lot to hide. Ol George must be even more upset than I realized if Disney is so concerned about it getting out...

I just can't imagine it'd make much difference but it does sound like there must be a lot to hide. Ol George must be even more upset than I realized if Disney is so concerned about it getting out...

I'd bet it's more a case of "Why stir up crap?"

Like, it's not that there are major bombshells, but that there's just no percentage in running the risk. Like, ok, maybe the book would go by without a blip and George wouldn't be tarnished at all.

But what if it blew up? Like, what if the book made him look really bad, or what if it reopened old wounds now mostly healed? Why bother, ya know?

It also doesn't really do a ton for the brand, and probably doesn't provide a ton of information that can't be gleaned from other sources. And it may just be a bit too fresh. Like, the "Making of Star Wars/Empire/Jedi" stuff is almost 40 years old. If there's a "Making of" for the PT, even that's 10 years old and of a different era.

But TFA JUST came out. The production and pre-production stuff is, what, barely 3 years old? It may just be too soon, especially since the new trilogy is still actively in production!

Well there was one for Revenge of the Sith in 2005, so it wouldn't be that implausible. It's a real shame if Disney is putting the kibosh on this for political reasons and not wanting to "rock the boat". I just want an in-depth account of the production, warts and all.

This bums me out. More than any other star wars, I was really interested in seeing how this one came to be.

And I'd REALLY love to see what Lucas proposed

Well there was one for Revenge of the Sith in 2005, so it wouldn't be that implausible. It's a real shame if Disney is putting the kibosh on this for political reasons and not wanting to "rock the boat". I just want an in-depth account of the production, warts and all.

It's not political. It's business. There's no business case to be made for releasing the book, particularly the "Warts and all" version. At best, it'd be a mildly interesting curio for hardcore fans. At worst, it'd taint the brand, **** off the creator, and expose some of the more fraught aspects of getting the new series off the ground that maybe Disney doesn't want seeing the light of day for a while (if at all). None of which is good for long-term sales.

That's the thing to remember: Star Wars is now an ONGOING film franchise with no end planned. It's like the James Bond series now, only with multiple spinoffs and such. Disney's plan is to make it into a cinematic juggernaut.

Prior to the handover and TFA's release, Star Wars was, mostly, a dead letter, and a niche product at best. Sure, it's a beloved film franchise, but the only people buying the stuff were kids buying Clone Wars stuff, and hardcore fans (a minority market) buying whatever struck their fancy. Everyone who wanted the movies already had 'em in some form or other, and the PT had split the community.

In that set of circumstances, there's no real reason NOT to release a "warts and all" book. Particularly if it's more a discussion of just the process, without casting aspersions on the creators. At worst, you'd hear about Gary and Marcia's exit from the franchise early on, but that's all ancient history.

With TFA, it's a different story. We know Lucas had a whole other idea for where the franchise should go. We know Disney told him "no thanks." That's as gossipy a story as we're gonna get on that one, because there's just no reason to crap on Lucas at this point. He's out. He's not involved in the franchise at all anymore. They're no longer his stories. BUT, to discuss how the film got made would necessarily expose the discussion where his ideas were rejected.

And here's another consideration:

The story itself is ongoing. A big "behind the scenes" book, or at least one worth its cover price, would discuss all manner of things that are likely chock full of spoilers. The direction the series is headed, the nature of the Knights of Ren, Snoke's origin/identity, Rey's parentage. Any of Finn's backstory other than his stormtrooper memories, etc. It's tough to do a "behind the scenes" book without touching on that stuff. We might get one after this trilogy wraps, but even then, maybe not depending on the future of the franchise.

Again, it's all because it's an ONGOING concern now, not just "Some movies we made that are done with now."

That end bit, Solo4114,....was what I was thinking,.....we know that The Falcon & set pieces are being produced with future use in mind by the studio,....& they seem to have more forward planning than what George did,...theres bound to be overlapping concepts

J

It's not political. It's business. There's no business case to be made for releasing the book, particularly the "Warts and all" version. At best, it'd be a mildly interesting curio for hardcore fans. At worst, it'd taint the brand, **** off the creator, and expose some of the more fraught aspects of getting the new series off the ground that maybe Disney doesn't want seeing the light of day for a while (if at all). None of which is good for long-term sales.

That's the thing to remember: Star Wars is now an ONGOING film franchise with no end planned. It's like the James Bond series now, only with multiple spinoffs and such. Disney's plan is to make it into a cinematic juggernaut.

Prior to the handover and TFA's release, Star Wars was, mostly, a dead letter, and a niche product at best. Sure, it's a beloved film franchise, but the only people buying the stuff were kids buying Clone Wars stuff, and hardcore fans (a minority market) buying whatever struck their fancy. Everyone who wanted the movies already had 'em in some form or other, and the PT had split the community.

In that set of circumstances, there's no real reason NOT to release a "warts and all" book. Particularly if it's more a discussion of just the process, without casting aspersions on the creators. At worst, you'd hear about Gary and Marcia's exit from the franchise early on, but that's all ancient history.

With TFA, it's a different story. We know Lucas had a whole other idea for where the franchise should go. We know Disney told him "no thanks." That's as gossipy a story as we're gonna get on that one, because there's just no reason to crap on Lucas at this point. He's out. He's not involved in the franchise at all anymore. They're no longer his stories. BUT, to discuss how the film got made would necessarily expose the discussion where his ideas were rejected.

And here's another consideration:

The story itself is ongoing. A big "behind the scenes" book, or at least one worth its cover price, would discuss all manner of things that are likely chock full of spoilers. The direction the series is headed, the nature of the Knights of Ren, Snoke's origin/identity, Rey's parentage. Any of Finn's backstory other than his stormtrooper memories, etc. It's tough to do a "behind the scenes" book without touching on that stuff. We might get one after this trilogy wraps, but even then, maybe not depending on the future of the franchise.

Again, it's all because it's an ONGOING concern now, not just "Some movies we made that are done with now."

I could understand the last bit but the rest is just political maneuvering to appease Lucas delicate sentiments, by your logic. I think it's highly unlikely the average consumer is gonna be bothered in any significant way learning the "'warts and all" of TFA's production.

@Wulfsburg That's Dan's point. The average consumer won't care or even know what warts there are, they will just consume the book and accept it a face value. A handful may complain it's a white wash but that's really immaterial and they don't need to allow the book to be release with content they would just rather not discuss and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back