Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hijacking this from antoehr thread because I didn't see this HOLY MOLY picture in this thread yet:

PS when can I stop with the spoiler tags!!!

Wow - very nice find!

How well does it wash out? I'm worried for anything to end up kinda permanent because I have a natural copper red hair that'd be hard to get back to the right color. I'll probably keep an eye out for some alternatives.

Well it's intended to last something like 4-8 weeks. It slowly fades away with each washing. Occasionally I can still see the faintest division in the right light where my natural color grew in and never had dye on it, but all it doesn't wash out like a temporary dye or anything.

Re: clembot --

I'm 99% sure the body scarf wrap thing is totally stitched to the Henley shirt underneath. I was both relieved and annoyed at this revelation after covering my shoulders for the 1000th time at the bar after the movie.... I plan to stitch mine in, with pleats.

Yes, THIS. In the beginning, I just wrapped myself and KEPT having to adjust, pull, tug, and re-wrap. It just wasn't working. I sewed it to the shoulders just like division 6 mentions (which also created some great pleats, or bunching is more like it. I tacked it at the belt line as well. It keeps everything nicely in place and I found, creates that nice kind of baggy draping on the back.

@TheLadyNerd

I went on lunch today to Fine Fabrics, and they do indeed still have not one but two bolts of the same fabric I used. It's on the sheer aisle, on the bottom row on the left when you walk from the center of the store and the cutting tables. It has the crinkle texture I was looking for and is the same color. Incidentally, there were actually several other fabrics that would have worked well...quite a few more choices than I had (although, I'm still convinced the one I found was the best option). You'd definitely have to dye it and weather it, but that was pretty easy because the base color is already a sandy tone. The big thing for me was the draping and the way it will flow when the wind gets it. It may not be a screen accurate fabric, but it behaves and looks the same way. :)

Heh, we should meet up at Fine Fabrics sometime soon (if it's not too much of a drive for you). I went there yesterday and was so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of fabrics that my brain just down. I could use a guide!

Also, I got this beauty in the mail today from Leather Craft Legends! I think it looks even better than the one she wears in the film. :p
12376606_10154421698698662_1252241608306574667_n.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, we should meet up at Fine Fabrics sometime soon (if it's not too much of a drive for you). I went there yesterday and was so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of fabrics that my brain just down. I could use a guide!

Also, I got this beauty in the mail today from Leather Craft Legends! I think it looks even better than the one she wears in the film. :p
View attachment 569157

Anytime! I'm up just past Mall of Georgia, so it's a short 25 minute drive for me. I go down all the time for other costume materials (and it's conveniently close to Tandy, where Chuck would probably jokingly tell you I should just own stock.) :) Also, beautiful thing about Fine Fabrics is you can haggle. I couldn't believe it the first time I heard it, but when I heard it, I tried it, and got $2 a yard knocked off $9 per yd fabric. Granted, I was buying eight yards, but that's nothing really, when you're making practically anything that isn't a swimsuit. lol.

And I *LOVE* that bracer. Being a leather artist myself, it immediately stood out as one of the best one's I've seen. The coloring is spot on, and the size is nice in comparison to the arm.

Awesome pic find!

I've been wondering if we should make a second thread for her spoiler outfit and maybe keep spoiler discussion in there. What do you guys think?

There's already two of those floating around. I'm on my phone or I'd link them, but if you go back in my comment history, that's all I've posted in so far

Re: clembot --

I'm 99% sure the body scarf wrap thing is totally stitched to the Henley shirt underneath. I was both relieved and annoyed at this revelation after covering my shoulders for the 1000th time at the bar after the movie.... I plan to stitch mine in, with pleats.
Yes, same! There are some little folds that would suggest as much, around the shoulders, middle of the chest, and waist. I think it's pleated and then tacked down. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a tiny bit of padding (like a shoulder pad) over the shoulders, too, as it's curved so nicely but stays still!

Yes, same! There are some little folds that would suggest as much, around the shoulders, middle of the chest, and waist. I think it's pleated and then tacked down. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a tiny bit of padding (like a shoulder pad) over the shoulders, too, as it's curved so nicely but stays still!

Yep, you're right! It's hand stitched to the Henley (and it's not a straight line at all) - I noticed it in a couple trailer shots because at the sleeve, it forms a triangle where it's tacked down and falls off her shoulder. It also allows the back to billow out a little above the belt. :)

I feel SO BAD for having to abandon this thread and resort to the occasional lurking, but I managed to finish BOTH Rey and Kylo Ren before the premiere!! On top of finals for graduate school. Thaaat was stressful. :sleep So here's a few pics of my semi-final project!

12377627_10100449706167444_6712100669215712725_o.jpg12363172_10153729914117978_4015604849031677385_o.jpg12068678_10153729915497978_7629317414993649044_o.jpg12378034_10153729915342978_5663297372509883427_o.jpg

I still have some work to do, i.e. get the pouch after the holidays, get the pants color right, and finish up the cuff so it doesn't have raw leather on the underside. I know my 501st friends want to take it and run it over with a car a few times to weather it...might take them up on that offer. Then it's off to Rebel Legion approval! :D

And you all aren't alone with the hair thing. I keep mine long naturally, but it was still pretty easy to get it into three buns (the ends I just include with the next bun). But it's so awesome, usually I get headaches when I wear my hair up - not with this! WOO!

So something I noticed in the movie when loking over her shoulder, I could see the seam of her top. It sits similar to a Raglan top. This would explain why the shoulder is seamless looking. Though it would not go with a seam to attach the wrap. Darn all of the dillema of this costume.

Going to See the movie this evening for the 5th time i am going to try to get as many tips for the Alternate Outfit... Have to say 2016 is going to be an Epic Year :) Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Hello! Haven't been here in aaaaaaaages, but I'm coming late to the Rey party and aiming for C2E2.

Is the person upthread who was talking about doing a casting run on the staff still open to that? Or did I miss the boat?

Looks awesome!! So you had two separate leather belts connected with a loop of fabric? Or is it one piece?

Thanks! It is two separate belts. I used contact cement to connect them from top to bottom, but since they are thin, I put a thin strip of faux leather where they touch on the back to make it more solid. I'll take a picture when I get home

I actually did the same thing! except I used real leather for the backing to hold them together because I had it on hand from the bracer. worked out pretty well for two cheap belts I got from target for ten dollars a piece.

12371078_10153344505552945_6728335262700380901_o.jpg10351458_10153374823262945_6820980574971703877_n.jpg1604445_10153352840227945_6668200086454251996_n.jpg9089_10153374823122945_8157682291510787548_n.jpg1878_10153374823157945_4116481863864272465_n.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back