Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

Hey! Is above up for taking pants? I've been taking apart 12 jeans from primark to figure out the seams. I'm pretty sure they are reenforced knees. But my skills at pattern making and sewing construction are limited, so I'm quickly getting stuck. But I'd love to better figure the pants out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm going to attempt to deconstruct these pants, https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/womens/murrin-pant
in Autobahn in an attempt to rebuild the screen accurate seams. In the pair I own I'm pretty sure there is enough extra in the felled seams to make it work. The fabric has a brushed apearance, the texture is very similar to the high-res images, and it has a small amount of stretch. It does seem a tad dark in person, but photographs pretty close to existing images. It may lighten once washed? 20170921_200237.jpg

I've got a 6ft continuous length arriving any day from dharma, though i'll likely be only using half the 45" width with hemming. If anyone is interested in splitting costs I'd be open.

Wish I knew ahead of time.
I already ordered the white.
I would have jumped on this.
Robert

I did a split but with a group of people. It's a great option to make it more affordable!

Have you thought yet how you'll dye it and with what dye?

I'm thinking an acid dye. But with will the with is shinkage and felting, but it needs hot water. So maybe a dye that first need such hot water. But I'm not sure how the will will take the dye.

I did a split but with a group of people. It's a great option to make it more affordable!

Have you thought yet how you'll dye it and with what dye?

I'm thinking an acid dye. But with will the with is shinkage and felting, but it needs hot water. So maybe a dye that first need such hot water. But I'm not sure how the will will take the dye.

I was going to try a lowish temp RIT liquid dye plus vinegar as a first test. I've had varied success with yarns that way. I'm hoping it I just don't agitate it much it won't felt too bad.
Robert, sorry! I actually had someone fall through who I planned to split with originally. I just found out today that it wasn't going to work...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to try a lowish temp RIT liquid dye plus vinegar as a first test. I've had varied success with yarns that way. I'm hoping it I just don't agitate it much it won't felt too bad.
@Robert, sorry! I actually had someone fall through who I planned to split with originally. I just found out today that it wasn't going to work...
Ya! I actually called Dharma Trading for advice. They were so sweet and patient as I explained what I wanted to do. The lady said to try and "stir the dye more than the fiber" meaning moving the fabric to the side and agitating the dye bath and then moving the fiber around in it. I though that was a good tip to think about. Good luck!

I'm going to either use silver grey Dharma acid dye it Rit charcoal grey. The Rit one has a blue undertone. So that's something on our favor!

For the wrap dress, I believe the material is a viscose gauze type. In TFA costume display it was listed as viscose(Rayon) it didn't describe what type, but I found a Rayon/poly shirting gauze that looks really close as far as texture.

Last edited:
For the obi, I believe the material is a viscose gauze type. In TFA costume display it was listed as viscose(Rayon) it didn't describe what type, but I found a Rayon/poly shirting gauze that looks really close as far as texture.
Do you mean the long wrap dress/tabards? The obi is the belt around Rey's waist.

(Edited) thank you for the correction mbotastic
Yup! Also, I've heard the fabric for the wraps/tabard is different than her TFA. Specifically that it's wool gauze ($$$).. Thatng said I see lots of different fabrics being used like gauze, cheesecloth and so on. I think so long as it fits the drape, weave and color your golden.

I'm going to be dyeing some of my left over Dharma handwoven fabric from my Jakku head wrap to make my obi. It has texture like the pics and since I already have it on hand it's even better. But we'll see how the dyeing goes. I'm thinking of using Rit charcoal gray and a longer bath to get it dark.

Hope everyone's having fun!

I'm going to attempt to deconstruct these pants, https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/womens/murrin-pant
in Autobahn in an attempt to rebuild the screen accurate seams. In the pair I own I'm pretty sure there is enough extra in the felled seams to make it work. The fabric has a brushed apearance, the texture is very similar to the high-res images, and it has a small amount of stretch. It does seem a tad dark in person, but photographs pretty close to existing images. It may lighten once washed?View attachment 760379
Those are some nice pants! You sure you want to cut 'em up? Hahaha. I think they'll work great. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Those are some nice pants! You sure you want to cut 'em up? Hahaha. I think they'll work great. Look forward to seeing your progress.

I just got a hold of RIT charcoal to test on the dharma wrap, so far I've had luck with a mix of Pearl Grey, Kelly Green, and Tan but I'd love to have a more simple alternative. Pearl grey by itself in an acid bath is far too purple. I'm aiming for the color scheme of the Topps Trading card stills.

The pants don't fit well as is so maybe minor modifications will help. I'm hoping a more screen accurate fabric is ID'd for a scratch build so I can still use the pants...

For the obi, for now I'm using one half of a Yaya Han cosplay fabric, Desert robe in grey, i picked up at Joann's.

I just got a hold of RIT charcoal to test on the dharma wrap, so far I've had luck with a mix of Pearl Grey, Kelly Green, and Tan but I'd love to have a more simple alternative. Pearl grey by itself in an acid bath is far too purple. I'm aiming for the color scheme of the Topps Trading card stills.

The pants don't fit well as is so maybe minor modifications will help. I'm hoping a more screen accurate fabric is ID'd for a scratch build so I can still use the pants...

For the obi, for now I'm using one half of a Yaya Han cosplay fabric, Desert robe in grey, i picked up at Joann's.
I was thinking, for the wraps of trying out one of these combos. But I would also love a straight forward dye option. I have silver grey acid dye from Dharma I may try too. The idye silver grey is nice. It doesnt have the purple undertone like the Pearl grey. Pearl grey by Rit is so frustrating. I've never gotten it to work.

What fabric are you using again?

c25dede06d738ca8520fb3ff7526749b.jpg

I was thinking, for the wraps of trying out one of these combos. But I would also love a straight forward dye option. I have silver grey acid dye from Dharma I may try too. The idye silver grey is nice. It doesnt have the purple undertone like the Pearl grey. Pearl grey by Rit is so frustrating. I've never gotten it to work.

What fabric are you using again?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/c25dede06d738ca8520fb3ff7526749b.jpg

This one,
https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/wool/pure-wool-gauze-fabric.html
Adding vinegar as an acid and so far the wool takes up color at low heat, which is helping prevent felting. The color results do seem to be temperature dependent though; I haven't decided on a ratio, bath time, and temperature combo yet.

This one,
https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/wool/pure-wool-gauze-fabric.html
Adding vinegar as an acid and so far the wool takes up color at low heat, which is helping prevent felting. The color results do seem to be temperature dependent though; I haven't decided on a ratio, bath time, and temperature combo yet.

Oh nice. I'm using that too. Are you using the Rit charcoal grey right now? Or an Dharma acid dye? Rit is nice in that it's not so heat dependant like fiber reactivate and acid dyes. That fabric was money! Really don't want to mess it up.

mbotastic and Vorantares Be really careful dying the wool gauze from Dharma. One of the Rey's on the Facebook group dyed hers in warm water, and it shrunk a LOT!

"Just a heads up if you're buying the wool crepe... it shrinks a bit while being dyed. I was very careful to not use heat and such when dying it and it still shrunk a bit and is too short. I gotta save up to order more now, I'm quite sad"

She said it shrunk from 5 yards (180") to 140", but that was already sewn. She says "crepe", but I asked her if it was the wool gauze from Dharma, and she said yes.

Someone else suggested using Procion cold water dye. It's meant for wool specifically because 100% wool, especially loosely woven types, are notorious for shrinkage.

Good luck!

mbotastic and Vorantares Be really careful dying the wool gauze from Dharma. One of the Rey's on the Facebook group dyed hers in warm water, and it shrunk a LOT!

"Just a heads up if you're buying the wool crepe... it shrinks a bit while being dyed. I was very careful to not use heat and such when dying it and it still shrunk a bit and is too short. I gotta save up to order more now, I'm quite sad"

She said it shrunk from 5 yards (180") to 140", but that was already sewn. She says "crepe", but I asked her if it was the wool gauze from Dharma, and she said yes.

Someone else suggested using Procion cold water dye. It's meant for wool specifically because 100% wool, especially loosely woven types, are notorious for shrinkage.

Good luck!
Thanks! I saw that too. I get so sad for her. That kind of thing 8s so frustrating. I got a full yard extra for testing and shrinkage. From everything I've read (and I'm terrified to mess this up so I'm researching like it's a thesis) for wool to take the dye most permanently and evenly so it lasts, the water has to be hot 185-200 degrees). So shrinkage is inevitable I think. But felting is not! That seems avoidable even with hot water. My fabric is still in route to me. I have both a dye from Jacquard and a Dharma acid dye and some Rit. I'll test 'em all and say a prayer to the dyeing gods I guess. [emoji4]

22042032_355197071586399_1576822202215824714_o.jpg
Original Putty swatch on the right, dyed Brac on the left

Brac Mood Fabric Dyeing Update (Full Dye List and Measurements/Method):

To dye without a top-loading washing machine...

I survived my vacation and had an awesome time in Finland (though I did get a cold at the end), so I was out for a while on dyeing anything. I just dyed my Brac over the previous two nights and am sharing all from my sister post on the FB Rey Cosplay Community. Cheers! P.S. - I have a couple of Putty swatches available, if anyone needs.

Round 1 Dye Bath:
Rubber gloves that go above your elbows + ventilated work space
1 American teaspoon of 5 ml measure
1 VERY large square plastic storage tub, set in bathtub (use a shower or painters liner taped to tub if you are concerned about dyeing a white tub. Mine is old brown, the dye left no marks)
4 Yards Brac Mood Fabric, pre-washed cold, left damp.
5 gallons really warm tap water
3 rounded spoons of Dharma Fiber Reactive Dye in Brazilnut,
1 rounded spoon of Dharma Fiber Reactive Dye in Dutch Chocolate
3 spoons liquid Rit Dye in Dark Brown
2.5 cups plain salt
1/3 cup soda ash fixer.
Steeping Time: 25 minutes

Follow the Dharma instructions on their website for the entire process, especially when putting in the soda ash (I had an extra little recyclable plastic tub to mix all powdered dyes with water first). I used my gloved hands for this, not a paddle. Rinse according to their instructions. Wring out, place in washing machine on delicate, cold water only. Let air dry (will be too light to match Putty at this stage, also too brown).

Round 2 Dye Bath:
1 American teaspoon of 5 ml measure
3.5 gallons really warm tap water.
1 cup salt
8 spoons Liquid Rit Dye in Dark Brown
14 spoons Liquid Rit Dye Charcoal Grey
2 Packets Dylon Olive Green Powdered Dye
Steeping Time: 45 Minutes

I put the fabric into the dye tub wet, I swirled it around for a bit with my gloved hands, working the dye in really well and then leaving it for about 45 minutes. Then I came back, rinsed it in cold water in the tub (took a while), squeezed the excess out, took it down to my front-loader and put it in on a cold/warm delicate wash with liquid detergent and softener. Hang to air dry.

This is my first dye job like this and I hope this proves somewhat helpful, although I fully admit my method is absolutely bonkers. I dyed it once, dried it, then came and dyed it again, gah! I don't know any other way to do this, whether it would work in a washing machine, whether it would work in hot washing machine water (the Dharma dye probably won't, as you need to add the soda ash fixer carefully and the instructions said warm water, not hot). But maybe other Rey's can find a happy in-between, using the info from my two posts.

22042032_355197071586399_1576822202215824714_o.jpg

I pulled out my left over fabric from the scavenger Rey head wrap shirt. I had used the Dharma handwoven cotton a lot of others used. The texture, after its washed, looks a lot like the pictures of Rey's obi. So I dyed it up last night in Rit Charcoal grey. It turned out great. I think it will work well. I looked this morning and the fabric is on sale now too. So if you're looking for an option I think its a good one. I might try and get it a little darker. But I'm going to reserve judgement until I've sewed it all up. It darkens up a lot when layered.

Obi Dye.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back