Revisiting the Training Remote

Re: Build Diary: Revisiting the Jedi Training Remote

The Bandai is harder to find and more expensive. I used the Tamiya because it's cheaper and almost looks the same. I think you can see a comparison somewhere in this thread I think (post #13). So you decide which one you use.
As for the truck, look for this one.

_DSC8584_resize.jpg

I'll try to weigh my remote when I get home.
Sorry, I know nothing about the Peterbuilt.

The Peterbuilt Midnight Express has all of the chrome rims you'll need for this... both varieties. BUT no axel brackets. As far as I know there isn't one truck kit you can purchase that has both. You can go for the recent Aero versions of Kenworth, but you'll have to chrome paint some if not all of the rims.

Sorry I don't have a scale accurate enough to weight mine.

The Peterbuilt Midnight Express has all of the chrome rims you'll need for this... both varieties. BUT no axel brackets. As far as I know there isn't one truck kit you can purchase that has both. You can go for the recent Aero versions of Kenworth, but you'll have to chrome paint some if not all of the rims.

Sorry I don't have a scale accurate enough to weight mine.

That's okay. Thanks so much for the info.

The Bandai is harder to find and more expensive. I used the Tamiya because it's cheaper and almost looks the same. I think you can see a comparison somewhere in this thread I think (post #13). So you decide which one you use.
As for the truck, look for this one.

_DSC8584_resize.jpg

I'll try to weigh my remote when I get home.
Sorry, I know nothing about the Peterbuilt.

I have seen this same model number but white with no stripes. I thought it was the one someone posted here as the wrong one. The white ones are all I have found????

You need the chrome rims from this model you have posted.
The white ones do not have the chrome rims.:unsure

Chances are Lorne was building from multiple truck kit sprues just laying around the table while building the original. Looking at photos of their kit shelves reveals at least three varieties of AMT truck. Unfortunately the Movin On and California Hauler kits fetch quite a price and we are forced to utilize later releases of similar kits, but not the same exact kits used.

So I've tried making the semicircles that go around the truck rims several times now but I just can't get them straight. Someone here mentioned that they made them from vacformed styrene hemispheres.
Anyone have any vac formed hemi's ?
Or any other tips?
Thanks
Den

Make the circle/donut. Measure the gap.
Draw on the gap as to where you will cut it.
Cut it but INSIDE were you should, so you leave some material.

Bend them a little and glue on. THEN trim the gap parallel at the right separation.
Make sense?

It will work. Trust me.

Yes, heed that advice. It does work, and so far no one has done vac'ed hemispheres.

If you're having trouble visualizing the correct shape draw the circles on the hemisphere and trace the pattern onto some tape. Lay the tape flat on styrene cut bend and everything BrundelFly said.

Thanks for the tips. Night eyes, already tried sketching it on the sphere and transferring over. Just couldn't get the hemi doughnuts cut out evenly or symmetric. I think I'll try brundlefly's suggestion next.

Small update for me. So I've made my donuts. Here's how:

Cropped this image from the tutorial, adjusted size appropriately and then printed
4488e8e2.jpg

Copied this template to styrene then cut out a donut. Then sanded and Checked size. It seemed to work.
8befabd3.jpg

Then I copied this pattern to 9 more pieces of styrene.

I then Realized the inside of the donut was the same size as this bottle of paint.
dfbd4218.jpg

So I used some sandpaper over the bottle in this fashion
37803a07.jpg

Then used all 10 donuts over the bottle to even out the outside perimeter
60c89124.jpg

Here's the result. Most are pretty even.
110afd03.jpg

Thoughts?

I'll keep moving forward.

I have one of these olfa circle cutters. Not used it yet, but might be interesting.

GetFile.download

I have one of these olfa circle cutters. Not used it yet, but might be interesting.

GetFile.download

I have one of those too .... as it is, I'm not to thrilled about it .. It keeps loosing alignment, so the radius either gets bigger or smaller ...... but I think a couple of glued on ABS strips would keep it aligned .. hmmm perhaps I should try that.. a lot of circular cuttings in a couple of upcoming projects :)

Another quick question. So previously I glued on the uneven semi circles onto the hemispheres. Now that I've redone the donuts I need to remove the old ones. I used zap a gap, I think. Is there any good solvent to remove this? Or should I just start over w new hemispheres.

Scraping it off w a razor blade isn't working well. :confused

fc9b3fec.jpg

:cry

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back