Revell X-Wing 1:29 scale (1:30?) build

edspaged2

Hi all,

I've been waiting in line for the version 4 ss x wing and to help alleviate the wait I decided to build a smaller scale X to get a bit of practice so I won't royally screw up an expensive model later. This kit when assembled measures out to around 435mm long (a bit over 17" long). It's by no means completely accurate. Engine details are wrong, panels, droid strip lack of detailing, etc. quite expensive for a snap together kit but I wanted to build something a bit bigger so this was it. I built it kinda out of the box but added a few bits of styrene for those random triangle and rectangular bits on the front fuselage and elsewhere. A coat of humbrol white primer got rid of the nasty factory paint job and then outlined the lines with black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 415
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 356
Tamiya xf-19 coat. After that was a coat of tamiya flat white that I mixed with other paints to tone the whiteness.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know why the pictures are coming out squashed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 308
The pics don't looked squashed to me but I am getting a saw neck looking at them though. Other than that looking good.

Hmmm, I have no idea what's going on. I'm uploading the pics and also viewing them with my ipad. Ipad problem maybe? Sorry for the upside down this way that way pics, I don't know how to fix it :(

this is it with the white-ish layer and red markings. By all means if you have colour preferences when painting your x wings please let me know what you've used (preferably Tamiya) as I'm just picking them off the shelf not exactly colour referencing, just eyeballing it. This model is my practice model. It'll have panels that will be re-painted over no doubt. I'm gonna repaint the canopy I think. The red markings seem a bit dark too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 231
Yup, may be an incompatibility with the iPad browser (Safari?) Looks fine through my copy of Firefox...
Regards, Robert

Some panels painted. I'm not happy with a few of them. I think they're a bit dark. I like the panels being a bit darker but I also don't in a way. Looks like a toy now, hopefully when it comes to weathering it'll fix it a bit.

I've ordered some brass tube for the cannons. The plastic ones will be turfed. I'm making something up now to go behind R2. The 'hurricane' engine part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    850.4 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 302
A bit of progress. Darth foreman is keeping it in check.

My pics still keep coming up crooked. No idea why though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 278
Fantastic job on the paint and weathering! Looking at the small thumbnails it seemed a bit on the dark side, but when I opened it look it look much more balanced

I remember seeing those Vader's in Walmart for a decent price. I think they had Stormtroopers as well.

Speaking of Walmart, I've seen the smaller Revell 1/57 ish X-wing there and the Revell Darth Vader's 1/37 ish tie and horriblbly oversized side wall version of the Falcon, but no sign of the 1/29 X-wing. I've been wanting to pick one of these up.

Cheers guys.

When i I did a road trip in America Walmart was my go to stopover place. I loved Walmart!

Aye! Sort of like a traditional open-air market, but with a roof & tightly controlled inventory under purview of a giant corporation (ha!)

Still, I've picked up a lot of cool stuff over the years, if somewhat inconsistently (with model kits starting to make a comeback.) And now, of course, the 1:48 scale Millennium Falcon (aka Hasbro 28" Rebel MF)!

Regards, Robert

They are in the states. Just got one. Repackaged is all. Man the factory weathering looks like arse thats for sure. What did you panel line with?

- - - Updated - - -

They are in the states. Just got one. Repackaged is all. Man the factory weathering looks like arse thats for sure. What did you panel line with? You painting assembled or in sections

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back