Revell release schedule

Bouq

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As we have such a thread about Bandai, I wondered if it would be useful with this brand... let's try.

So Revell's website announced in this early year two Mandalorian reported kits : the Razorcrest, at 1:72 and a revell-homemade-scaled 1:65 Outland TIE fighter.

Release in October

Today I found preorder offers
1/72 The Razor Crest (The Mandalorian) Revell 06781 – Scale Model Shop (£48)

And the same for the TIE
1/65 Outland TIE Fighter (The Mandalorian) Revell 06782 – Scale Model Shop (£33)

What do you think about these upcomimg models? Accurate enough?
1324423-21856-70-720.jpg
q52fi03sozw.jpg

Last edited:
The Tie Fighter is an odd size, but it is actually a good model with lots of detail. Sounds like this is simply the existing kit with new wing parts.
They actually produced the same kit in two different sizes
I am not sure about the one this size, but the larger cousin, in typical Revell fashion, was missing the Sherman tank detail part on the back. The larger kit at least had the benefit of being close enough in scale with the MPC X-Wing. This one is kind of in no man's land scale wise.

Might be ok for the novelty of the folding wings, but I wish they had done that with the larger version of the kit instead of the smaller one

The Razor Crest on the other hand is a must have for me assuming they at least get the basic shapes correct even if the simplify some detail.

If they at least get some details like they did with their Slave-1, or Kylo Ren Shuttle it will be great. If they go the route of the AT-AT or the large Falcon where they skimp on all kinds of details and don't even bother to get the basic shapes right then I might skip it.
The Falcon for example actually had sidewalls even taller than the old MPC kit on top of really bad engine deck details. I think they even copied the old MPC battery parts. The AT-AT I only picked up because it was the only thing in 1/172. but they really dropped the ball in that, especially the head area

I already have a 3D printed version which has some inaccuracies, I don't need a second one that requires mods

I know they can do good stuff, they have before, so I am cautiously optimistic

Yeah, I'm very much up for the Razor Crest--seems like it would be hard to screw up, and they must know that this is now a VERY popular subject and would lavish some care on it. But we'll see. I'll get it regardless.

One thing about the Razor Crest--if this is the actual box art they must know that they can't produce something that looks nothing like that, since modelers will be able to look right at the box art to find all the inaccuracies.

The Falcon for example actually had sidewalls even taller than the old MPC kit on top of really bad engine deck details. I think they even copied the old MPC battery parts.
They didn’t even produce that tool, they used the existing Code 3 model (die-cast) for that chunky model

J

Many of the more recent models from Revell of Germany (not US) seem to be fairly accurate shape wise.

I wonder if part of this is having access to some of the CGI renders considering most if not all of them have digital assets used for filming?

Some of their most inaccurate models seem to be ones related to the older models that only ever really had physical models and blueprints for live sets

Their newer, smaller Falcon for the Force Awakens for example was actually quite good in shape and details. The problem was the Bandai 1/144 with amazing details existed and for serious modelers, was a no brainer compared to their box scale offering

The 1/58 ish to 1/50 ish T-70 X-Wing was nice as well. It really lacked cockpit details and had no pilot, but for the most part, in the absence of a Bandai offering was a suitable option for a larger version. I think this was a Revell of Germany tooling

On the other hand, the smaller 1/58(?) were a different story. First Revell originally listed these as 1/78 on their website, but according to one of the people who worked on producing the kit, that was a clerical mistake and it is in reality 1/58.
"a clerical error was made in the system listing them as 1:78 which unfortunately was never fixed because well, communication isn't one of Revell's stronger characteristics."
Second was the build & play branding which tried to market as toys, and likewise would have some parts like the guns molded in softer rubbery parts

However, that was Revell of USA, not Revell of Germany that did those sound and play kits.

I believe they each produced kits independently but were able to distribute them as imports. They shared molds for the kits and but usually had different packaging for Europe vs the US. So basically if your buying a Revell of Germany branded kit in the US, your paying more for the same kit than you would have for the US version

For example, I think Revel of Germany did the Venator and Revell of USA was able to import it

I guess for me the real question is whether the Razor Crest will be a European release only, or will this eventually get imported to the US under the Revell US banner (if Revell US even still exists?). Not every Revell of Germany kit has gotten a widespread US release or at the very least are harder to find and typically a lot more expensive as your stuck buying from third party sellers with a steep mark up

For example, a lot of the rereleased 40th anniversary ESB kits did not get a simultaneous US release in 2020

Is anyone aware of US distributors where I can preorder a Razor Crest?

Sean
I'm sure once its available it will be all over places like starshipmodeler and cuttvman... but I don't think its available for preorder yet. but those 2 will have it as soon as it is without a doubt.

Jedi Dade

The box photo for the Razor Crest shows a “Level 3” does that mean it will be aimed more to kids and be light on details?

The box photo for the Razor Crest shows a “Level 3” does that mean it will be aimed more to kids and be light on details?

Level 3 would be higher skillsets then the Revell "toys"... requiring glue and paint, Around 100 parts.

Jedi Dade

The Bandai and Fine Molds kits released by Revell I believe are Level 5 to put that into perspective. however, the Level is not necessarily synonymous with accuracy or detail, simply in how many parts and how easy is it to put together

The Revell Venator kit which many people tout as being one of their best Star Wars kit is only a Level 2 kit because it is a pre-paint, snap kit and does not have that many small detail parts

The Kylo Ren Shuttle is another kit which is often favorably regarded and also a Level 2 kit. but it is nicely detailed and fairly accurate shape wise from what I can tell. Again, it is snap fit and "pre-painted" without many additional small greeblie parts that need to be added separately

In this case Level 3 is hard to tell. So it has more than 100 parts (*maybe). Are they small plant on details, or are they for structural things (like door hinges, and pistons etc...

On the surface it is promising that it may be a more complex kit than the two above. This suggests the possibility of more details rather than being more simplified parts to reduce the number of molds or undercuts etc...

* on the flipside though, this is a Level 3 kit because it is a glue kit that is not pre-painted. I don't see over 100 parts..
shopping

shopping

shopping

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your opinions and thoughts about these kits.

I just see that I misspelled the title of the thread. I'm so sorry.
Could an admin change the schedule term please.
I'm sorry

Thanks a lot for your opinions and thoughts about these kits.

I just see that I misspelled the title of the thread. I'm so sorry.
Could an admin change the schedule term please.
I'm sorry
You can edit the title if you go to your first post at the top of the thread and hit the "Edit" option down on the left, then in the "Title" box you can update the title

You can edit the title if you go to your first post at the top of the thread and hit the "Edit" option down on the left, then in the "Title" box you can update the title
oops....
I did not even try it! shame on me.
thanks a lot Analyzer

We just need to wait and see what that Razor Crest will be like. I have mild hopes for something usable, but I won't buy a kit again knowing that I have to do more modifications on the kit parts than what I had to clean up 3D prints. I haven't finished a plastic model since I bought my first Photon printer, and I find it much more rewarding to do something on my own but in the way I want it instead of fiddling around to get an acceptable result from a bad or mediocre base kit, while rewarding companies like Revell for their business model of slapping together something.

That being said, I do want to support companies which do their job right, which is why I have so many of the Bandai kits on my stash (and many more than 2 times). Let's hope Revell improves.

According to the website the Razor Crest will be 337mm (13.26") length Revell Model Building - Official website of Revell Germany | The Mandalorian: The Razor Crest

I think Jaime said the Round2 one was going to be about 14"

So it seems like they are definitely on target for a accurate sized one

I believe this is the Tie that is close in size to the Bandai 1/72 (1/65 according to this Revell Model Building - Official website of Revell Germany | Star Wars - The Mandalorian) rather than the larger one that is closer to 1/43 or so
_nc_ohc=tF9qDAmpnz0AX8XBi2s&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back