Revell At-At WIP... finishing up!

Depending on what paint brand you prefer

Tamiya XF-19 straight out of the bottle for the overall base color over black primer. Possibly mix in or mist a bit of Tamiya XF-20 in for some alternate colored panels or other areas

or if you like Vallejo
Vallejo 989 Sky Grey as the main overall base with Vallejo 987 Medium Grey mixed for some areas

Archive X Enamels or they now have Acrylics as well (not sure what color though, Concrete maybe?)

Army Painter has also released Star Wars specific paint sets These paints are very similar to Vallejo in quality and use

I have picked up the core set and the Rebel set, but the Imperial set has a color called Imperial Walker Grey

View attachment 1451715

Thanks for that. Ive really enjoyed working with Tamiya since using it on my Millennium Falcon and it's easier to get a hold of here in Brisbane.
That Army Painter range looks promising though so I may look into that.
I need to pick up some styrene so I will see what Tamiya paints are left on the shelf.

Looking might fine here. "We're not a Revell kit anymore!"

Black one with Imperial markings would look awesome! You are going to have to do another one now. :p

Thank you.
If I did one in black I could do it out the box as a variant... wouldn't be so challenging!
Cheers guys,
Josh

I've been making some progress. I ordered the chin guns from shapeways to save me building them and I ordered the Speeder through RetroSF.
I was having a look at the side guns but am having trouble finding strong reference pics for the studio model as they're broken on the pics on the modellers magic page. does anyone have any good reference pics?

I started work on the body... figured this was all downhill after the head... well, no. A bit more climbing it seems. Again this does not need to be perfect but in an attempt to have it looking half correct the body just wasn't there for me. They actually got most of the details in the right places, an extra door to remove, had to remove a few of the rectangular greeblies and make new ones from styrene rectangular box to put them in the right place. The top hatch detail was mirrored from the studio model so I had to remove that and scribe a new hatch and throw some greeblies in place. All of the panels lines were raised so I have removed those and made a terrible job at rescribing them but it looks O.k. This is really my first model doing panel lines and I am learning but it is challenging, especially curves. Weathering will be fixing some sins, as will filler and primer.

On the rear there's that sunken box section which the details were actually pretty good but it was far too shallow. Save reinventing the wheel here I dremeled, cut and filed around the existing detail which gave the added depth of the kits plastic floor then added a new floor from styrene, popped on a few similar greeblies. It is not an exact match to the studio model but gives it some depth and is in the ball park.

Also working on my replacement panel for the top vents ( but those pics will follow next time).
Cheers,
Josh
CohfI4O.jpg

9syoF42.jpg

yuwgZz7.jpg

kerYMUr.jpg

Funny enough, the Snowspeeder and AT-AT are basically the same color . For me I found Tamiya XF-19 with maybe a touch of white a great match, although I did mix in more white for my speeder since I always perceived them to be more white

And then for that one odd colored panel I used Tamiya XF-20

*NOTE These are some various things I collected over the years. Unfortunately I cannot properly credit those who took them and since they are not mine and I will gladly remove any of them if inappropriate to show them here

ATAT1.JPG

For my second one, I used this odd colored panel scheme

atatcasting.jpg

EA0425CA-574E-4722-B39F-7102C44CAE25.jpeg

These came from Modeler's Miniatures & Magic

let me know if there are others you are looking for

kg_at-at_-001.jpg

kg_at-at_-003.jpg

kg_at-at_-005.jpg

kg_at-at_-007.jpg

kg_at-at_-009.jpg

kg_at-at_-011.jpg

Also amazing how rough of a paint job there is on that too. I wonder if it was intentional or just classic "orange peel" issues

I had noted that finish and it seems like its only on the armoured plates and has that reflective sandy look you get on grip tape like on a skateboard so Im thinking deliberate.
As to why I dont know. Theres no chance for light/ gloss reflection through that texture so maybe on a white backdrop of snow they needed the model as matt as possible so the larger areas recieved this treatment? But every possibility it was intended to look that way.
Cheers
Josh

Sorry, I just realized you meant pics for the side guns since it was broken, not that the links for the side pics were broken on that site :lol:

Also note that the one with the broken guns on that site appears to be the ROTJ modifications to the guns as it has the spot light

These are the ESB style

4616319046163190jpg46163190jpg.jpg

4616320446163204jpg46163204jpg.jpg

atatstopmo.jpg

P6130338_JPG.jpg

ATAT6.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, I just realized you meant pics for the side guns since it was broken, not that the links for the side pics were broken on that site :lol:

Also note that the one with the broken guns on that site appears to be the ROTJ modifications to the guns as it has the spot light

These are the EB style

View attachment 1454775
View attachment 1454778
View attachment 1454780

View attachment 1454785
View attachment 1454786

Hahaha thats ok, I appreciate all the pics and information... and the info on painting the speeder was mostly coming next anyway so well done!

The gun has a spotlight! Now I understand. I couldnt work out what was going on in the reference pics so thankyou for clearing that up. Maybe not so bad once going but making these guns sure feels intimidating.

Im guessing we're seeing 2 different models here as the fins ( atleast thats what I call them, behind the side guns) are different. One sets scribed in and the others are overlayed. I saw pics of another build with the overlayed fins and thought it was an odd way to approach them but he obviously had the other model as reference. So seems a little open for interpretation here. Cool that it shows the neck mech also.

And with these sweet renders why is no one busting these out on 3d printers?

Cheers,
Josh

Ok so got the body in primer today.
So had a bit of work on the grille. A blury shot but here is the Revell offering:
Ger6xLC.jpg

I really didn't want to get too excited but there was little option, drew a new file and then did some plastic surgery...namely cut a huge hole
LF3JUI6.jpg

iAKaoqs.jpg

cut some new pieces and glued them together, then glued the new strip over the existing section and filled the sides. Here's the new offering and the studio model:
NfAsNkr.jpg

HjBNz0r.jpg

My rear cut in detail is not 100% but is a huge improvement. My model and the studio model:
3jFVyxx.jpg

BoimI3S.jpg

and here is the top and side details against the studio model, the Rectangular box on the sides was too big but I decided to live with it just trying to keep them in around the same spots, save me making all new pieces:

0Jh8U47.jpg

5EN4GvU.jpg

Z2JPRkE.jpg

oBkSCTm.jpg

Gh2MyrF.jpg

CdOFBgk.jpg

Hopefully this gets most of the details in around the right places. I tried to keep as much of the more correct Revell detail as possible to save work which served an issue with scribing new lines as there were bumps in the way of running a ruler to scribe against, do this again I would probably flat sand and replace everything.

cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
Great improvements indeed ... I believe this is a picture of one of the Studio-scale AT-AT's ... as you see most of those vertical scribed lines become almost non-apparent after a sloppy paintjob :

AT-ATComp.jpg

Chaïm

IIRC That one above is one of the resin cast ones? The side gun "shields"are a little different and the chin guns are very different from to stop motion originals

View attachment 1455732View attachment 1455731

Well that explains a lot. And something for guys building a perfect model to be aware of as well, be consistant with your reference material. And edit to note.... while simplified the Revell guns seem to match the ones of this model Analyzer.... I'm guessing that was their reference. So theyre not necessarily wrong.

I know there were a number of walkers made in differing sizes... partly to cheat perspective on the studio stage and a large model used for the high speed shots like the walker falling over with its legs tied before Im guessing being swapped out for a pyro model.

But how many at this scale were made? We seem to quite often be focused on 3 walkers and there's plenty of studio shots of the 3 walking across the snow... atleast 2 of these when attacking the rebels have their heads looking to the left suggesting there's atleast 2, can we say Hero models?

Then some resin cast ones that seem a little less detailed. Those pics referenced from modellers magic definitely show a resin cast walker and resin cast neck so will not have full movement. The information provided suggests this was the model Master Replicas copied however the MR seems to have the added detail on the armour behind the side guns so perhaps they had other information.

I was wondering on that Modellers Magic model the addition of what you pointed out Analyzer as the RoTJ side guns. So this brings 2 questions to mind.
1) you posted a shot of 3 walkers.... seems parts missing.... but one on the right definitely has green painted around the feet suggesting this was a model used on Endor ( interestingly the middle one has heavy black weathering and looks like the model Sym-cha posted) and it also appears to have the lack of detail around the armour plates suggesting this is a resin cast model.
So is the Modellers Magic resin cast and with RoTJ side guns the RoTJ used model and its had a restoration at some point or

2) Is the MM model just one of a few resin cast models that had bits stuck on left over from RoTJ?

Seems in that pic of the 3 models many parts are missing and I'm guessing being used more recently in filming they had one more complete model which wouldn't surprise me if had a restoration done for publicity shots.

Again does any of this matter? Not really, just interesting banter. But again the information is good to know depending on what your trying to reproduce and if your wanting to do a RoTJ, Esb hero or resin model you need to be aware of the variations.
Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
Actually I might be mistaken about the ROTJ one

The guns were different, but they did not have the "spotlights" looking things like I thought. Although I am a little perplexed as to where those side guns came from. Maybe it never made it on screen?

The ROTJ ones look like they are upside down compared to the ESB orientation and it is hard to tell from these shots, but maybe stubbier guns?

rotj at-at.jpg
03 Displaying of AT-AT 010.jpg

As far as restoring the AT-AT I believe Duncanator actually worked on the restoration. He may be able shed some more light

Actually I might be mistaken about the ROTJ one

The guns were different, but they did not have the "spotlights" looking things like I thought. Although I am a little perplexed as to where those side guns came from. Maybe it never made it on screen?

The ROTJ ones look like they are upside down compared to the ESB orientation and it is hard to tell from these shots, but maybe stubbier guns?

View attachment 1455833View attachment 1455834

As far as restoring the AT-AT I believe Duncanator actually worked on the restoration. He may be able shed some more light

Hmmm considering the lighting on the head that RoTJ model is seemingly not the Modellers Magic model.

Yeah maybe the guns with the spotlight weren't seen on screen. The model is a bit less refined and resin cast so I'm assuming was only ever intended as a background model.
Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back