"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

Re: "Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 9-15-10)

Myspace?!? You should get off that sinking ship and start up a page on Facebook. :lol
I have a facebook page for myself, but it's easier IMO to start a new one on myspace for this. Last time I tried to make a FB page for a new project,..it was a nightmare. If there is enough intrest, then maybe I will. So far only 2 people seem interested. Joe

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build

Well, here's the barrel I'm currently working on. For some reason I can't seem to find any 55 gallon barrels with removable lids here with the pour spouts built in, only without. So I bought one I found that has them, and then chopped off the top with a saw. I also drew the viewing window on the top and then cut that out too.

Since I'm going to place a panel over the hole that has the bolts that hold the plexi-glass, I drew the hole extra wide so it could be made accordingly.

Here's a few shots of it so far. Next, I'm going to sand the edges, draw the top cover template to saw from MDF, and then sand the whole thing.

A guy who built a really cool one on the Halloween board said that I'd need a special type of plastic primer. Apparently he had a hell of a time getting the paint to stick to the barrel, which isn't hard to imagine.

Oh, and does anyone know if the Tarman head and hands are still available?

This was also the only barrel I found that had a special ring around the edge (my guess is for grip) that had a design somewhat similar to the movie.

I'm planning on doing this in the style of the second movie with the key-panel, and the modified top lid with the knob at the center.

Two questions though. Firstly, there's two stickers in the films. In the first movie there's a white one on the bottom of the barrel. Pretty sure its a triangle. The second is above the key-panel in part two. Can't read either of them though. I think the second says something like instructions for the key-panel.

Is there someone who could figure out what they say? I think the first is on Blueray now.
I was curious as to why you cut the top off to begin with? Was it to change the look, or add the different lid? The ones from both one and two are non removeable lids. Also, the top sticker on the barrel for part 2 has 4 lines. The top one says ACCESS INSTRUCTIONS next is 1 ENTER ACCESS NUMBER CODE next is 2 ENTER COLOR CODE and the last is 3 ACTIVATE RELEASE VALVE Joe

Last edited:
Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build

Well, I called a few places first. The first barrel I got was a closed lid, and cost 10 bucks. It was from a place called Interstate Oil Company. I think they said it had car washing liquid in it.

The second was the one I decided to use, and it cost me about 35. A little more expensive. I know that they sell them used on Craigslist for really cheap, you might want to check there.

Nice Tarman! If they originally just used the head, did they just prop it up in the barrel I wonder, or put it against a black background....

Anyone know where to find a head and hands?
The Original head and hands were held upon a wood frame, that was held inside the plastic barrel by screws. You can see these screws in still shots of the movie above the top set of rolling hoops...you can also see the painted piece of tape on the top left that is suposed to be a rust spot. The head was also only the front not a full head, and stopped around the ear area. The wood was most likely painted black as to not show up. Also, when you get to the scene where you can see down into the barrel....it's a different barrel. The original barrels used have the bottoms cut off to give them the right shape and the details on top, next to the busted window are different. I'll be adding photos to my myspace page soon showing what I am talking about. I also need to get a photo host online for pics here, what is a good free one? Joe

Last edited:

I've used Photo Bucket and its never failed me! lol

I chopped the lid off, because if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to put the head and some of the inside stuff in there. I still don't have any hands, and I honestly don't want to pay a lot for a casting of them. If someone ever does raw castings and offers them a little less than what I've heard I'll pick up a pair.

I don't understand how they'd be able to put anything inside of the barrels with non-removable lids, unless the bottom was chopped off like you said. The other reason is that in order to cut the hole for the acrylic glass I had to be able to remove the top. It was a major pain to remove it, because I had to pull that ring off first using 4 pry bars, and then putting it on wasn't any walk in the park either. In my last posted pictures the lid isn't pushed down inside the ring, mainly because I'm not done with the inside, and since I'm not I don't want to have to force the top in and out of the ring, that being because of how snug it is it chips the paint on the edges.

Thanks for the reading on the label!

I've used Photo Bucket and its never failed me! lol

I chopped the lid off, because if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to put the head and some of the inside stuff in there. I still don't have any hands, and I honestly don't want to pay a lot for a casting of them. If someone ever does raw castings and offers them a little less than what I've heard I'll pick up a pair.

I don't understand how they'd be able to put anything inside of the barrels with non-removable lids, unless the bottom was chopped off like you said. The other reason is that in order to cut the hole for the acrylic glass I had to be able to remove the top. It was a major pain to remove it, because I had to pull that ring off first using 4 pry bars, and then putting it on wasn't any walk in the park either. In my last posted pictures the lid isn't pushed down inside the ring, mainly because I'm not done with the inside, and since I'm not I don't want to have to force the top in and out of the ring, that being because of how snug it is it chips the paint on the edges.

Thanks for the reading on the label!
The bottom of the part 1 barrels has the bottoms chopped off. The barrel is about another 3-4 inches taller than in the movie. The barrel untouched comes with 2 compression rings...one at the top and one at the bottom. The compression ring is the piece that goes around the barrel at the top that looks like a vent. It is actually a seperate cast plastic piece. When you take it off of the bottom, there are 3-4 inches of exposed barrel that is smaller in diameter than the rest of the barrel. This part is then cut off, giving the illusion that the barrel has a solid bottom. The scene whers you look down inside the barrel is a different barrel used for that shot. The close up scene of the barrel squirting the gas out is not the hero barrel either. Joe

So how do you know so much about the barrels? I scoured the net for info and couldn't find jack ****, lol.

Do you know anything about the ones from part 2?

So how do you know so much about the barrels? I scoured the net for info and couldn't find jack ****, lol.

Do you know anything about the ones from part 2?
Yes I know quite a bit about parts 2 and 3 as well if you need some help.It just happens to be that ROTLD 1 is my favorite Horror movie ever, so I have watched it about a billion times. I've done tons of research, talked to people who helped make the movie, etc. I consider myself to be a pretty knowledgeable source for the ROTLD films. This is a project that I have wanted to do for a long time, and now after finding the right barrels I am able to do it. And no, sadly these are not from the movie, just replicas I am working on. So I need to finish the templates for the window and window housing pieces, track down the screen accurate closures, and have the lids fabricated from the plastic shop and I can finish it. I will be making 2 barrels from pt 1, one pre-melt with solid glass, and one post-melt with shattered glass...one from part 2 and one from part 3. I wish there were more people on here sharing info on ROTLD projects and props/collections. It really is a fantastic movie. Joe

Here's a few question for the second movie barrel and first as far as the lid.

Any idea what kind of hinge they used for the tops? Looks custom made perhaps.

And, what was the exact keypad used in part 2? I can find one with the correct digits and font, but not one with the two arrows.

this is a freaking cool project ! im jealous... you did it ! ;)

Here's a few question for the second movie barrel and first as far as the lid.

Any idea what kind of hinge they used for the tops? Looks custom made perhaps.

And, what was the exact keypad used in part 2? I can find one with the correct digits and font, but not one with the two arrows.
Send me a direct email to joero6_333@yahoo.com with the makes models of the keypads you found and let me take a look. I'll dig up some pics for the hinges for ya. Joe

I thought it was strange that during the commentary track Thor Van Lingen "Billy Crowley" referred to the zombie in the container as Tarman. The face you see pressed against the viewing window is definitely not Tarman. I guess maybe they consider it to be their version of Tarman. I tried looking for a mask or zombie head to match it, no luck yet. I still have a barrel that I painted green, it looks similar to the 2-4-5 Trioxin barrel in ROTLD 3. Looks like it's going to become a barrel for 2-4-5 Trioxin now.
Well, in a way it is and isn't. I know it's not the Tarman from part one, but that is what he was reffered to during the filming...as well as they had the same guy play him for the 2nd one as well. As for the head in the tank, I will be sculpting one for mine and will be offering it for sale also.

Anyone know if there are any 1st generation Tarman heads out there? I bought a Tarman bust from Sam McCain, It looks great but does not look like the 1st generation Tarman. The skin color on mine almost looks like a light orange color.
If you look on my photobucket link, I have what I was told to be the first cast for sale off of the pre and post melt heads. They are really awesome and what I am using for my pre and post melt barrels. I will have to cast a new set of hands for mine. I agree that the sam piece is too orange...I am about to repaint mine in the next week or so. Joe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back