"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

Re: "Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 9-15-10)

Great movie & fantastic build.:eek

Would look awesome displayed outside at halloween with a fog machine behind it.

Sweet Trioxin barrel!! Paint over that brass screw though on the top. It's a little shiny. Maybe put a smoke generator in the barrel itself and have some spots where it can leak out?

Love this movie ("You mean the movie lied?"), love your prop.

Thanks for the compliments! Unfortunately I'm having a really hard time finding something to use for the lid, which halted progress. Closest thing I've found is a BBQ lid.

I guess I'd have to have one Vacu-formed, but I don't know ANYTHING about that, aside from the actual process.

I found a keypad that's accurate to the movie, but don't have extra $$$ to spend on it at the moment. I've got room for the fog machine, but I'd have to cut a hole in the bottom of the barrel, which I really don't want to do.

I'm also missing Tarman's hands, and I really don't want to pay big bucks for just a pair of hands. I've found some Halloween hands that are cool, but don't look like they would blend with the texture of the head.

I got an email from Bill Stout, he informed me that the lid was a vacuformed dome. what about getting one of the pepsi/coke store coolers that had the dome on them?
This project looks great!!! i cant wait to start on mine. i hope mine only looks half as good as yours.

I got an email from Bill Stout, he informed me that the lid was a vacuformed dome. what about getting one of the pepsi/coke store coolers that had the dome on them?
This project looks great!!! i cant wait to start on mine. i hope mine only looks half as good as yours.

you can use some 3M spray adhesive to stick the decals. just mask off the area where you want them and spary the barrel, and then spray the backside of the decal and apply.

The barrels on the first two movies are black. I used to think they were a dark green as well, for the longest time. If you take some stills from one and two and put them into photoshop, you can plainly see they are black. Also the barrels that were used in parts one and two, were already black. I actually found the exact barrels that they used for part one, which are very hard to find as they have some weird details that are exclusive to that barrel. The barrels in part 3 are green, but started out as blue. Also, the sticker that was mentioned from the part one barrel is a corrosive sticker. It is on the bottom right as you face the front of the barrel. The reason it appears to be a triangle, is because it's a diamond shape with the top being white and the bottom being black. I am in the process of making my own right now as well, plus a couple to sell. I would love to compare notes with anybody who wants to. ROTLD is my favorite movie, and I have a HUGE collection of stuff from all 5 of the movies. Joe

Last edited:

I actually found the exact barrels that they used for part one, which are very hard to find as they have some weird details that are exclusive to that barrel.
Care to share the model? :cool Inquiring minds want to know! :lol

Wow, that's cool to know. I figured after searching for a while that the lids were custom. I checked and found that a sand barrel lid is close in shape, but waaaayy off in size. I was also more partial to the part 2 barrels being that they had a little more to them. I liked the lights and keypad they put on it. Progress was halted on mine as I couldn't source a lid, and know nothing about Vacuforming.

awesome build. I've always been a fan of the "zombie" flicks.

The cola domes are too steep for the Trioxin barrel, I looked into it already. The Trioxin dome is a much more shallow dome. The closest thing I have found so far is a vent hood like on most houses...but they are not 100% accurate. I am in negotiations with a plastic company right now trying to get 100% accurate lids made for mine, as I bought 4 of the exact barrels from part 1. I will have 2 barrels for myself and 2 to sell. I will also have domes for sale as well. If anybody is interested hit me up direct at joero6_333@yahoo.com

Anybody who is a fan of Return of the Living Dead, should join me on myspace. I started a new page today called Darrow Chemical. It's main purpose is for people who are fans of the series to swap info, pics, etc with other fans. I would love to see pics of everybodys collections as well as the barrel projects and any other ROTLD related projects. Joe

When are you going to post info on your build?

I also looked into virtually anything to use as a lid, including manhole lids, Cola cooler lids, BBQ Lids, anything I could find.

What were the original type of barrels? Were they 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?

Anybody who is a fan of Return of the Living Dead, should join me on myspace. I started a new page today called Darrow Chemical. It's main purpose is for people who are fans of the series to swap info, pics, etc with other fans. I would love to see pics of everybodys collections as well as the barrel projects and any other ROTLD related projects. Joe

Got a link?

Yes, the original barrels were black 55 gallon plastic barrels. I found a place to get them about 5 hours from me, but they are 75.00 each, and not listed on the web for sale. These are very rare, and this is the only place I have found them. They have to be specially cleaned due to the chemicals that are shipped in them. Any fans of the ROTLD series should hit me up, I would love to swap info and pics etc. Joero6_333@yahoo.com or darrowchemical@yahoo.com

can't wait to see the finished item, love these movies. Its amazing how talented people are in making these props, i would be useless lol keep up the good work

I emailed you and asked for some pics, are you going to post any?

An idea for your backdrop inside the drum: a strip of black felt and I would probably not stretch it across a flat surface underneath, make it have dips and crevices in it.
If you decided to add a fog machine underneath, you could easily hide it under the felt and have the fog come up through small holes in it. Just an idea.

Myspace?!? You should get off that sinking ship and start up a page on Facebook. :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back