"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

If Joe doesn't contact you soon I'd maybe notify the mods.

You can find barrels pretty close, I know that mine has some sort of top ring that has a similar design. I don't think Joe's flaking, from when we talked it sounded like he was definitely gonna get these made. Maybe he's just been busy. I'll shoot him a pm and see if he replies.

You guys are gonna force me to go out and find a barrel! I so want one of these, now.

So, someone spare me from reading the whole thread. What's the deal on the correct barrel? I was out at my machine shop last week and noticed a few barrels with clamps on the lids so they can be removed. They were plastic. Are the screen barrels metal??

-Rylo

I now have my premelt tarman casting and picked up a barrel at a flea market for seventeen bucks. The only problem is the lid isn't quite accurate.

The rim also doesn't have the corrugated section, which I could add if I could find some sort of flexible part that I could stretch around that section and glue down. Any ideas, guys?

I know that mine isn't the accurate barrel. Well, I'm pretty sure anyways. The barrel from the first movie looks to be a little more rare. I'll try and find some info on the first movie version.

The second looks to be a very generic 55 gallon plastic barrel. They sell them with lids that are removable. Mine personally had a ring around the top, which was merely luck as all the others at the place I bought them didn't. I had to saw off the top of it, after removing the ring which was incredible hard to do by hand. The ones in the movies also have these two indentations on the bottom, which I also noticed is on most the regular 55 gallon barrels. You can see where they fall off the truck.

Of course the lids were custom made according to what I heard, and still no ones come up with anything.

I'm a big fan of The Return of the Living Dead, and the Tarman is one of my favorite characters in that movie. Super cool what you did with than.

Of course the lids were custom made according to what I heard

You know, I hadn't heard that, but looking at the pics in The Complete Hisotry of TROLD book, the lids just didn't look like they belonged with the barrel, so I decided I'm probably going to have to build the lid from scratch to get it exactly how I want mine.

Another thing I noticed from the book is that the face inside the barrel is not exactly flat and even with the glass, but angled looking up slightly. The same as it would in real life if a body were in the barrel and looking up. Your head would still be tilted somewhat.

Anyway you can post some pictures from the book? I was wondering if they were going to have any pics in there.

Is there any of the barrels from the second movie?

I'm without a home computer until mine comes back out of the shop. I can scan some pics when I get it back, but unfortunately, it's pretty small reference.

Screen grabs are going to provide better reference for the part 2 barrels than anything in the book.

They have pics of just about everything, but the stuff I care about is all small. Would have liked to have seen larger pics of the makeups, props, preproduction drawings, etc.. As it is, the majority of the space is devoted to actor rememberences. I would have definitely edited it into a more condenced cohesive history and included more interesting things, heck, even the shooting script from Part I, anything . . .

I now have my premelt tarman casting and picked up a barrel at a flea market for seventeen bucks. The only problem is the lid isn't quite accurate.

The rim also doesn't have the corrugated section, which I could add if I could find some sort of flexible part that I could stretch around that section and glue down. Any ideas, guys?

Got any pics of your barrel?

Like I said, I'm w/out a home computer now, so no scanning and pic uploading for the moment.

My barrel isn't accurate at all, except for the screw insert thing at the top. What I'll probably do is scratch build a lid, as acurrately as I can, and use that for the time being as a wall hanging, using a bit of the barrel, so that it sticks out from the wall a bit.

Would love to get one of Joe's unpainted, but it doesn't sound like anyone's heard from him in a while.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back