Replies in a topic being marked as read

LordFett

Sr Member
Is there a way that replies in a topic can be marked as read and not read?

If I ready "Such and such" a topic and its 3 replies then move on to "thread 2" and its 12 replies and come back to "such and such" and it now has 7 replies the 4 new ones don't appear any different then the previous 3.

Right next to the time stamp on the top of the replie there is a little piece of paper with one corner turned down. It is always white, most boards would have read replies while and unread/new replies a yellow color (color isn't important, just a difference between read and unread is).

If you take a look at TDH's new forum you can see what I mean.

I can post some screenies when I get home (Work blocks all ports and I can't upload right now).

Here is what I am talking about. On TDH if you've read a thread and there are new posts and old posts there is a marker that shows the difference.

[attachmentid=712]

Here all posts look the same once inside a thread. Unless I remember specifically I don't know if I've viewed a particular post or not.

Anyone know if there is a global setting, individual setting or something to modify this?

Actually the board should be able to tell if I read something or not. It remembers the last time I visited. It should also know the last time I read a specific thread. If it compares that time with the time of any replies it should be able to tell me if a reply is new to me or not.

My php board I run is able to do this as well.

[attachmentid=788]

Also TDH's url.

I think there is a mod for this if IPB doesnt have it built in somewhere

i know if you click the topic title from the main forum listing it will take you to the first unread post

Originally posted by creamedgeezer@Apr 3 2005, 06:12 PM
i know if you click the topic title from the main forum listing it will take you to the first unread post
[snapback]957053[/snapback]​
That is a great feature many boards are not using much of any more. The first PHP boards I used to go to had this and it was the best.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back