Replica TOS Phaser at Smithsonian

Mike J.

Master Member
Here are a few photos I got of the bad replica TOS phaser on display at the Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington DC, on October 13, 2011.

For more information about this phaser, please see Richard A. Coyle's article here: The Smithsonian and Star Trek

-Mike J.

Yeah, unfortunately the Smithsonian has been "busted" on many occassions and has done very little to correct their oversights. I suspect that they either figure it's "close enough" or that the people trying to notify them are all crackpots.

After I visited this, I presented them with a list of 18 mistakes in their exhibit. They were not amused.

Smith Trek

Sorry about the ancient webpages. Bandwidth didn't used to be so huge.

That's a shame they don't care enought to correct it. I mean common. For 20 bucks they could get an AA phaser and it would be accurate.

I'd love to know where "Paul Scheeler" got that. While it's clearly not authentic it is certainly unique. I've never seen another replica of the Tech Manual phaser like it, and it's pretty rare to find a replica that didn't get at least a little distribution into fan circles. This almost seems like something hand made specifically to donate...

It's been known for years that it was a replica. If the president of the Smithsonian thinks that it is not, then he does not know what he is talking about and should talk to some experts on the subject.

It's been known for years that it was a replica. If the president of the Smithsonian thinks that it is not, then he does not know what he is talking about and should talk to some experts on the subject.

This ^ If the president of the Smithsonian is saying this is not a replica then your friend the president of the Smithsonian is clearly an idiot. He should be replaced by someone who is more responsible and compitent enough to make sure his fact finders due their research thouroghly.

Whomever believes the Smithsonian phaser is NOT a replica obviously does not know what they are looking at. Clearly this thing is not even close to being an authentic piece.

You guys have no idea the conversations that went on over those phaser and communicator drawings in the tech manual.

Even back then people wouldn't listen no matter what you showed them.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back