Repairing a T-Virus replica

PrimeWolf100

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm looking for some help with a replica Resident Evil T-Virus prop I purchased on eBay several years ago. When I bought it the 'virus' inside was partly evaporated, and as time has gone on it has now almost completely vanished.

So my question is: does anyone with more creative experience than me, know how I can open it up to refill the liquid inside? It's a hard strong plastic tube with metal caps at either end. It looks like the outer tube itself is held to the metal caps with an amber coloured glue. I'm guessing hot-glue. Can anyone suggest a way to remove the hot glue without being able to access it directly that wont damage or scuff the plastic?

DSCF2211.JPG

That bit of blue visible in the middle is pretty much all that's left.
You can just about make out the coloured glue at the bottom.

I have no idea if this is a genuine replica or a well made fan attempt, but it looks good enough to me. It'd look even better if it actually had some virus in it!! Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

DSCF2211.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any clue what the two inner tubes are made of. and most important how there attached Inside at the end caps. OOH!

and welcome to the RPF.

Thanks very much!

And thank you for replying so quickly.

The inner tubes are stuffed into the mass of glue holding it all together by the looks of it, but I couldn't tell you what they are made of.

Hhmm. tuffy I would think even If you loosen the glue. that If the inner virus tube's are breakable and you go twisting on the outer end casings. you could possibly break something. maybe you can find similar to this one and find out how there made?

Hi I'm thinking heat gun and keep turning it until it comes apart? just make sure you keep pulling at it so it splits as soon as the Glue melts and do it in a well ventilated spot?

Hi I'm thinking heat gun and keep turning it until it comes apart? just make sure you keep pulling at it so it splits as soon as the Glue melts and do it in a well ventilated spot?

A heat gun would be the best bet, except you'd have to be incredibly careful not to melt the plastic outer tube. A heat gun will make short work of most plastics.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, the best option might be to cause more damage and carefully drill some very small holes through the bottom cap into the end of the inner tubes, refill the liquid, then cap off the holes. You'll never see the repair because it's on the bottom, but you can always get a very thin sheet of the same kind of metal and cover the bottom.

A heat gun would be the best bet, except you'd have to be incredibly careful not to melt the plastic outer tube. A heat gun will make short work of most plastics.
Of Course the heat should he choose this path would have to be directed on the metal end caps. Any resulting damage could be considered as weathering perhaps?

Thanks for the responses all.

sean: I have found a website which used to sell ones nigh identical to mine. I've sent them an email to see if they have any advice. Funnily enough they're located in England too, so hopefully it is one of theirs.

vintageslant: I don't have access to a heat gun, nor have I ever used one, and as Cephus said, I'd be worried about damaging the plastic. If the inner tubes are plastic too it could do more harm than good. That being said if I can't find any other alternatives I'll keep it in mind as a last resort.

Cephus: I hadn't thought of drilling into the base to refill it without opening, but the trouble is the ends of the tubes are held within an inch or so of glue, and I'm not sure I can judge where the ends would meet the caps. But so far this seems like my best option.

Kevin Gosset: Always :), but I'm also concerned opening it may cause a zombie outbreak in my area...

I have the very same vial. It looks like the glue holding the inner tubes and the metal cap are one in the same, they are not. My metal cap actually fell off and was held with minimal glue on the inside. You could try dropping it in boiling water for a bit, and giving one of the end caps a nice twist. Then you can drill through the glue/resin an d refill and reglue the metal cap. You could also try filling a syringe with acetone and squirting it between the metal and the plastic cylinder to see if it will loosen.

Thanks Xtafa, that sounds promising. I'll give that a try.

Is the acetone likely to scar the plastic outer tubing at all? I'll go for the boiling method first, but I'd like to build up as many options as I can.

Did your version have any fading of the colour inside? Can I ask where you got yours from?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back