Removal of Clay Figures From a Mold Cast?

MistressReborn

So I made this little clay figure with this cheap air dry clay. I wanted to ship it to someone, but I figured it was to 'breakable' in its current state, so I decided to mold cast it then make resin copies so I'd have as many as the mold would allow, right? I molded it and it's curing right now, but I have a few worries. Since the figure is very humanoid, I think that the clay pieces are going to break off if I try to take it out of the mold (I used oomoo 30, no release agent). I'm not too worried about the clay breaking, I was probably going to trash that anyways, but what do I do if some pieces get stuck in there? Is there a certain way to take it out, or should I cut the mold open a certain way to make sure everything is removed?
image (1).jpegThis is the clay model I made.

I can't say anything for certain without seeing the mold.

For future reference, I'd recommend using a translucent silicone, that way you can see exactly where the piece is and do a cut mold.

In this case, you can still make it work most likely with some careful cutting. If you know what it is, you may be able to cut in a corner lock to keep them together a little better... if not, I don't even know where to begin trying to explain it so apologies in advance.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back