Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread - COMPLETE

Re: Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread

Hey Man! thanks heaps!!! Yeah, limited experience here too. This is my first full body sculpt xD

Thats a really good idea i think with the thread!!!. To give it a more 'jagged' look, ill try and fold it up and then drop it down on the surface first. Regardless, there will be pictures of the attempt on the way ;)

This is amazing!! :eek I have to follow this and see it when it is finished...

You were talking earlier about trying to make some bony cracks in the legs and whatnot... I want to preface this by saying that my experience with sculpting is limited to what I did in my high school art class, so take this idea for what it's worth :lol

Anyway, I was thinking, what if you got some sewing thread and let it drop naturally on one of your pieces, repositioned it as necessary, then gently pressed the thread into the clay to leave an impression? Then you could pull it up out of the clay and "sharpen" or widen some of the impressions to look more angular and crack-like? Then when you go to paint it, it'd be really easy to just slop a brown wash into the cracks and dry-brush the edges....

Like I said, limited experience with sculpting, so take that as you will.

I'm excited to see where this goes!

Updates! (Sorry, been busy doing OTHER things >< we all know how annoying it is being kept away from our work xD hehehe).
---

Ive started on the back of the torso, and have put most things in place on the back. They still need refining (had only just slapped these on, then received a call from my GF saying I needed to go somewhere xD)

So I started off with the pelvis *NICKNAMED 'THE NAPPY'*, and then moved on to the spine *'THE BAT SIGNALS'*. (Naming parts is totally normal....)
nuxEaasK

And then, I tuned out into a working frenzy before I woke to having this :
vmxAv4fF

Havent touched this since Sunday due to other commitments *grrrrr*. And will only get a few hours on this sunday (entire weekend is consumed except for sunday morning ><). At least I love doing the work when I have the time to. I seriously don't understand how people can procrastinate on getting stuff done - Its too much fun!!!!!!

Oh, and I bought this badboy last night :p (been looking forward to an airbrush for ages!):
dOBwxytI

Too bad its going to be a little before getting to use it properly >< heheh.

Happy new year to all!!!

I had 2 weeks off (from my normal job), and spent the first week at my parents countryside home - Which I used the time to 'relax' AKA, cleaned out my fathers workshop and organised everything :p (There is nothing to do out there, and I was bored to hell ><)

I spent the last 5 days of my holiday to :

1. Make mold of second leg. (HANG ON, I didnt do that update. I've made one leg mold and casted it since my last update and this update).
2. Finish Torso sculpt, and make mold of it.

Everyone loves pics, so here is a picture of the 2nd Leg mold, and the arm soaking in water that I sculpted about a year ago now (I didnt know how to mold at the time + they were my intro to Wed clay, remaking the arms is the best thing to do ;) )

ii4IeSNi

mnUT5LEz

^ Creepy isnt it :S lolololol.

Ok, from where I had last left the Torso, I still needed to create the shoulder spikes, and add the neck tendons.

HojBrY4W

^ Basically created a trowel, then added rolled strips of clay. Then pushed their sides down to join them to the surface, and create overlapping effect.

Now, a quick breeze through the rest of the pics until the end of the molding process :

2Qu7GaG9

^ If you look at the bottom, I noticed the Movie 3d modellers added a small part of female anatomy into the character. I refer to this part as the anatomical name...
WBBCs99J

The back! Where most of the western comic fans will find their favorite part : Dont they look like an array of bat signals? xD At least I think so LOL.

YUVdAt4E

VFi5uJlp

^ Sliced the spikes off so the mold wasnt stupidly shaped / impossible seam line.

KsIqL6ZY

dATOvrFH

8NXqAitr

^ Have cleaned both sides out since that picture.

THIS ONE, I NEED ADVICE ABOUT! :S
I ended up with a large crack in the mold. This is mostly due to the prying stage of the mold. I put it down to using flathead screwdrivers as my pry tools - The problem being the 'small' amount of area the tip and the length of the tool is pushing on the clay. There must be better ways to create pry holes + Methods in the wall stage that will cause less destruction at the pry stage? Ive watched lots of Tuts :popcorn but havent seen any real tips regarding the pry points??? :confused

Some advice would be wonderful !!! :)

4VlHEc2J

Im simply going to use some 2 part epoxy glue to join this part back on, then reinforce the outside with more plaster and some more burlap.

Well, not far to go now - The arms are relatively simple, and the hands and feet are nice SMALL enjoyable pieces to do compared to the legs and torso :p

I LOVE MAKING THE STUFF!!! SO MUCH FUN :D :D :D :love

Actually its for sydanimania in the middle of the year hehehe. Not sure what im doing for nova yet? lol

Ahh nice, yeah I am undecided about what to do for it as well. Fellow brisbanite as well btw.

Ohh cool! I may be bringing rem out for end of year nova at the RNA - Since the building should be ready by then. You know how hot is here, in a latex suit would be pretty sweaty at the current venue LOL

Yep, plus walking through the building with,anything remotely fragile would get demolished. Though I can actually see people giving you a lot of space haha.

Woah! I'm super impressed with this. This is your first sculpt? I must be doing something wrong! Can't wait to see this completed.
What are you planning on casting it in?

First proper sculpt xD the previous two (thane mask, head crab) were sculpted ontop of pep models. I feel ive grown past pep now so I avoid using it. Plus stuff entirely from scratch is so much more fun and rewarding in the end :p

The final suit will be cast in Latex (hence the damn heavy plaster molds lol), Im looking into the slush casting method atm, unfortunately Im not having much luck finding tutorials on it - Im just going to have trial and error it xD

Last night, I practiced painting latex around one part of the torso mold. Figured out the correct 'painting/ stippling' method needed. Next will be doing a full coat both sides, 'butter' the seam edge, add more latex, close mold, roll the bugger around every half hour leaving it to sit on a different side each time. in my mind it makes sense - But as always there will be a problem somewhere ill figure out lol,

Small update, But progress nonetheless!

Due to the minimal shots of the feet, I improvised the whole thing and added elements into it found on other parts of the character. Mainly the tiny tendons, and overlapping bone structures.

CcoPfbKm

And an idea of what'll look like with the leg (Note it seems HUGE atm, but yeah latex shrinks, so itll be AOK in the end :) )
DPYF0WeT

I Plan to make the feet as a one part mold, that way the sole will be hollow (with a little extra coverage. Ill the have the feet over a pair of shoes like a boot cover, and ill gaffer tape the latex edge onto the sole - Gaffer can take a LOT more of a beating than having an actual latex sole xD

Figured I'd stop by this thread as I haven't checked it in a while. Nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

Thanks for stopping by! :D :D :D

Well, after this weekend I will have all the molds done ready to cast. Have to find a location to do the casting yet (My garage isnt the best place at all due to the smell ><).

After this weekend I hopefully will increase my work area from about 3m2 to 20m x 3m - I have an old car that has been living in there for over 2 years Ive been meaning to get rid of. Going to call a scrap collector in the morning to have it picked up (Was my first car, it died, im a bit senti/mental >< )

OH :

Im going to need something new to sculpt now :cry:S - Something Anime/ japanese video games...

Suggestions PLEASE?? :confused :confused :confused

(Firstly, regarding my previous post, my next project is going to be 'Abe's Oddysee' :) )

Ok here is a BIG update :D

CBF typing too much right now, pics speak themselves :

During the Brisbane floods, I lost power for 3 days, had set up and worked on the hands on my Grandma's balcony - I actually prefer my garage, city living is too ****** noisy.
MJTP7z7O

pPPxzbFH

bcULKtqJ

These two pics are creating the seam for the mold
VzQV6Neb

uDDGOIj8

Seeing as the arms are actually the same both sides (just turned over) I only need to sculpt one, cast twice.
AmHYkLTd

Seeing as all the major molds were done, I gained permission from my partner's mother to do the casting in their backyard :
GPXUVjdJ

There was a catch however, wear a hat, and sunscreen. They had this ripper of a hat laying about :
ElM3eW6h

I tried the large slush cast method on the legs, and a brush cast on the torso. The brush cast came out great and is much easier IMO. (brush : pour enough latex into each mold, and brush around the surface until it builds to desired thickness. Joined 2 halves together, and then run latex into the seams)

Pics of the latex inside the molds (was nervous as hell casting these since ive never cast anything this big, and trying a new method) :
clgcR2TM

cAh7hclc

CXoXSiOK

fKc6dHhj

ft7cYlsp

And then a day later, demolding was done, and celebration was had!!!

This is the output of the brush cast - Nice surface all over:
Fhuce79B

These two were the slush cast, unfortunate pooling the centre regions creating particularly thick centres, and wobbly other parts. Useable, but wont be doing this method again.
Dn7gAt7l

The hands were the industry standard, brush a detail layer, fill, leave sit for a few hours (wanted them thin as possible for better dexterity)
aWcUAVCN

And here is all the parts cast so far (all that is left to do, is the arm, shoulder spikes, neck staples, and the wig... oh and painting of course)
cxjNjPQ2

ZAI93UiC

Those are very good pulls!
I know how you feel about casting. I have never molded anything with stone. I am a silicon guy. I have a bag of Ultra Cal, and Aliginate in my gauge just setting there. The thought of losing my sculpt freaks me out:cry

Are you still looking for anime creature suggestions?

Those are very good pulls!
I know how you feel about casting. I have never molded anything with stone. I am a silicon guy. I have a bag of Ultra Cal, and Aliginate in my gauge just setting there. The thought of losing my sculpt freaks me out:cry

Are you still looking for anime creature suggestions?

Thanks man!!! a few days later now and they have cured well, slipped the torso on last night, any smaller and it wouldve been impossible xD lol. Going to have to cut a line down the back and add velcro seeing as ill need to have a back mount for the wings underneath.

And yeah, anime creature suggestions are very welcome! :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back