Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by elro, Apr 3, 2012.

1. elro

elro Active Member

Hey Guys!
    Well, this sculpture sub thread has been made at a good time as Ive just started sculpting!
    (along with that, im not entering the comp as I dont want to pressure myself with this build). This outfit is actually for next year, but ive got a lot to do, so earlier than later is the best time to start ;)

(Oh and for those of you watching my HEV suit build, this is on hold until I can find a place to work with chemicals + power tools, Im actually really happy I can use clay in my garage - No travelling to get things done for once!)

Ok here is the character im building (minus the wings as they are normally retracted most of the time) :
    [​IMG]

So the build thread begins! - Summarised, I made a cloth tape expanding foam mannequin for the base, and im sculpting wed clay over the arms, legs, and torso. The hair will be wig ill have to construct and the face and eye will be a prosthetic and latex makeup.

IMPORTANT (so you dont think im entirely terrible at sculpting) : Im unable to make molds or do casting in my garage, so I have to transport these parts over to my friends house to do all the molds when time comes - But first thing after the move will be the main fixes to the surfaces and finer details will be applied. For now, im just get the main parts down, getting all my proportions right etc.
    Basically, if I do the details now, the cling wrap and transport trip will negate any effort put it in so itll have to wait until they are moved ;)

Pictures speak for themselves, hope you enjoy the progress so far :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First time working with wed clay. this stuff is reallllllllll nice to work with!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. Thewomanwarhead

Thewomanwarhead Active Member

Re: Rem - Deathnote // Build Thread

Wow! Gonna be following the progress of this thread

3. elro

elro Active Member

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!

SO after taking a break from working on Costumes (after finishing the FF weapons, which i still need to update my thread there with the completed pictures), Ive continued working on Rem :D (HEV suit is still on hold, waiting for payday as im going to layer it in apoxie sculpt, seems to be a good surface layer over body filler and glass) anyways, back on topic..

I got myself a table to work on downstairs in my garage, and some shelves etc. to put stuff in (thank god for a useable work space finally!!!) :p
    [​IMG]

SO as of now, the arms are currently stored in airtight cling wrap, have done most of the block details and shaping, and will be doing the final touches and details right before molding time. They have been wrapped for a few weeks now, and are staying soft so the wrap job worked :p

And now new progress ! I decided to start on a leg. You can see I have a shoe taped on at the bottom, this ensures my foot will be happily inside the sculpt, and also give more of a foot proportion (The pair of shoes were on special at KMART for $2! :D). Ive only done work on the shin as of now, need to do the calf next, then move on to the thigh. I plan to wear the legs with straps extending around my shoulders, with a breast strap across to stop the material straying, and from that ill attach the arm gloves with straps and clips also. Enough talk now , here are the pics !!!

This is the reference im using the for the calves, it has a much more aesthetically pleasing look out of the different interpretation - Also, its closest to the undetailed shots in the anime.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Wrapped up at the end of the night :D
    [​IMG]

Am hoping to continue on this on Saturday, so Ill see how it goes :D

4. gardengnome23

gardengnome23 New Member

wow cant wait to see more of this one great work

5. elro

elro Active Member

So I did manage to get some time into this project on Saturday. The leg is almost done (For this stage at least, once molding time is closer and I have dried the clay out a bit I will need to clean the surfaces and perform smaller details, its too wet to hold fine detail atm).

So All thats left on this leg is :

1. Adjust all the rear lines so they intersect randomly to give a more tendon effect
    2. Add a small 'neck' around the top of the leg (so the part will fit snuggly around the leg once cast)
    3. Add some small ridges on the shin.
    4. General tidying up of the edges etc.

Not too much work left here as of now, then its onto doing the hard part - Mirroring the work onto the other leg xD

And here are pics! :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YAYYYY this is coming along well, and WELL ahead of its due date (Next year August/September), I suppose the quicker I get this done the more time I'll have for more projects xD

6. n0regret5

n0regret5 Well-Known Member

this is AWESOME. keep it up!!!

7. elro

elro Active Member

I Know, I should have made the armature first - But I was excited to get stuff done.

So, after not being able to find simple methods on the net I decided to slap my own together (the stands are 1 metre high, so this is good for large body parts with foam internals). Sooooooo - You lucky people just got a cheap / non fancy / effective armature tutorial! - Enjoy!!!

[​IMG]

hydin likes this.
  8. elro

elro Active Member

A minor textual update :

Will be scrapping the front thigh progress when I continue on this tonight / tomorrow, The majority of reference pictures of the character look more like vomit recasted in plaster... (Ugly I know), but Ive chosen a mixture of asthetics of this pictures, along with the smoothness presented in the anime portrayal of the character.

Ive figured my version is currently looking too armorish, and scrapping it will help achieve a much more bone structure inspired look respective to the character design. Ill post new progress pictures tomorrow night ;)

9. Johnboyhardy

Johnboyhardy New Member

Nice build bud! Great to see some talented prop makers close by!

10. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

WOW!:eek... Man this is just AMAZING!!!

I will follow this thread with great interest:love... keep it up!(y)thumbsup

cheers!

11. elro

elro Active Member

Ok, UPDATE :

Have torn up all the current leg work (AHAHAHHAHAHHAH. *EVIL LAUGH*)

Was not satisfied with following the anime / Figurine version of the character. I only managed to get 2 hours work back onto the leg on Saturday, but have blocked in, and started refining the leg shape respective to the movie version *(I figure, the creators made Rem look different in the movie - BECAUSE if she was real, that is how she should look. I would only later regret no making the movie version, so I should just go all out and make the live version instead. Better to stop and restart now than later. No big loss ;) )

Here are some quick shots after the 2 hours (Not currently as 'pretty' as it was, but after some more work tonight (If it isnt too cold) it will look a lot better. Also, have the BluRay of the deathnote movie on the way, so ill have some good quality ref. pics to run with soon :D

*. Phone is flat... Will upload them once its on charge soon...

12. elro

elro Active Member

OK here is the new progress @ 2 hours in. Have to condense the upper 2 parts of the shin (As illustrated in the final pic), and attempt to make it all appear VERY skinny (Quite challenging as the character looks as if they have been stretched more than William Wallace in the final scene of Braveheart xD)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. elro

elro Active Member

OK!!!!!!!

So, I went home yesterday after work. Normally, my afternoon ritual is go to the convienience store up the road, buy some liquid energy cans, have a smoke etc... I more or less pulled up, jumped out the car and marched like a trooper straight into my garage. I had new shoes and pants on (Which I bought the day before) and just started hammering into the sculpt (No shoes or pants were hurt in my motivated state).

Last night was a really satisfying night, I hit the 'zone' state, tuned out for 6 hours straight and got the job well on the way to being done. I think last night is a good show of myself improving at sculpting (Keep in mind, this is my first free form sculpt (Laying plasticine ontop of PEP is very different), So I was able to actually achieve a state of happiness with my work / condensing the height of the character design into human dimensions (which is slight battle of making the piece appearing longer than it actually is, I think ive got the effect down pat now).

Now im just waiting on the BluRay of the death note movie in the mail so I can collect detailed reference pics of behind the shin (Which is only in one scene from a distance >< Ill do my best with it. Too bad I cant get the actual 3d model lol).

OK enough aspergerish blabber, here are the pics ;) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND here is a comparison to the anime / figurine version I was originally following... I think we can all agree taking on the challenge of creating the live action version is turning out to be a good choice.
    [​IMG]

Very excited to keep working on this again tomorrow night!!! (Have a birthday to attend tonight xD)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  14. elro

elro Active Member

Hey guys!

I've gotten another 3 hours onto this build (Its bloody winter here, and a concrete garage isnt the most pleasant place to be this time of year) - Oh that reminds me of something last night :

There I was, working away on the build and thinking to myself "awww yeah, getting stuff done, being totally badass. Feeling pretty good right now! Having a great night!!!"
    -Then, life decides to step in and let me know other people are probably having a better night than I am... well, one of my neighbours were being very loud (If you know what I mean)..." immediately I realised that there are other things that would've made my night better. I felt very cold and lonely in the garage. >< LOL.

Anyways, back to the update :

3 hours work : FInished off boney flesh on left leg, added some bone cracks to see what it looks like (((((((ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO SCULPT BONE CRACKS, AND TIPS ON PAINTING IT????)))), Started on right leg, finished shin flairs. Next is thigh and boney flesh area. and here are pics :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the boney cracks, not entirely convinced by how they look. Have inspected some real life bones but havent managed to reproduce the same sort of look >< I figure a lot of the effect will come out in the painting stage (things like old vein stains present on bones). But yeah, any suggestions tips etc would be greatly appreciated!!!
    [​IMG]

Side by side view (I just realised i took these at different distances, they are actually more mirror like in RL xD).
    [​IMG]

And there we go! Hoping to do some more work tonight, if not, definetly tomorrow!!!!!!!!

15. elro

elro Active Member

OK, so last weekend I got a head cast done... It was great when it was over. Its the middle of winter here, Had to cast twice - The first lot of plaster bandage never kicked, most likely a bad batch >< I sat in the head cast for 2 1/2 hours in the bloody cold with only a plastic bag around my body in 5-10 degree celcius weather. It sucked.:S

The second time round, the back of the head from the first cast had actually set, so we decided to reapply it and just do the front again. It turned out fine :p

So, ill be able to sculpt the eye, chin, and wig parts directly off the top of my cast :p
    and pics :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This weekend, I didnt get any progress made though >< , BUT, My GF is heading interstate this coming weekend, so I shall aim to spend as long as possible in my garage this weekend. REALLY looking forward to working on the chest, am currently half way through mirroring the leg (and we all know that is sometimes a pain in the rear xD )

16. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

God mate I love seeing first-time sculptors ace it. Nice going!

Re the bones, best thing might just be to look up some real-life reference of bone sutures and come as close as you can? I suck at painting so it'dbe bog-standard washes and drybrushing for me...

17. elro

elro Active Member

Thanks mate! That really means alot coming from you! :D :D :D

Mostly just having a lot of fun sculpting, and keep working the clay until im happy with it xD (Still need to do a refine run over everything, but there is no point at this stage since i keep it wrapped in plastic bin bags, any detail added would be distorted. Basically will finalise surface detail the same day or so as the mold gets done.

I have been looking at some dog skulls my friend has in his studio (He was given the skull, dont know the name of the dog, so its been nicknamed michael jordan).
    I am actually heading out 2 hours west this weekend to my tax accountant (who lives near my parents, so its a win/win trip), so Im thinking of catching up with some farmer friends to see if they have any old bones laying about (Of cows, goats, etc that is. Fairly normal thing to see laying around out there) So ill take some latex and a heat gun along to take some texture stamps :p

OH, and out of interest, the leg on the right in the picture (Technically, the 'left' leg), Ignore the two finger sized holes on the knee and shin. These were simply depth checks to see how far i had to build the other shin out xD

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  18. elro

elro Active Member

OK! Legs are pretty much done *(Apart from the calf area, need to get references from the blu ray of the movie...which is a few seconds in one scene that is kinda blurry ><). The legs are wrapped up, and waiting for the day they will be cleaned up, textured, and molded :p So now onto the chest!!! :D (been looking forward to the chest, hope I can get the proportions looking right. For those of you who know the character, the headpiece will contain the stapled next part, and the chest part will only be boney masses. I think the seam will hide much better that way.

And pics :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. elro

elro Active Member

OK!

Spent 4 1/2 hours with the chest last night. Started with nothing, ended with the following pics!!! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The previous Images brought to you by Samsung MP3 + V energy :
    [​IMG]

xD

20. Syrus

Syrus Member

This is amazing!! :eek I have to follow this and see it when it is finished...

You were talking earlier about trying to make some bony cracks in the legs and whatnot... I want to preface this by saying that my experience with sculpting is limited to what I did in my high school art class, so take this idea for what it's worth :lol

Anyway, I was thinking, what if you got some sewing thread and let it drop naturally on one of your pieces, repositioned it as necessary, then gently pressed the thread into the clay to leave an impression? Then you could pull it up out of the clay and "sharpen" or widen some of the impressions to look more angular and crack-like? Then when you go to paint it, it'd be really easy to just slop a brown wash into the cracks and dry-brush the edges....

Like I said, limited experience with sculpting, so take that as you will.

I'm excited to see where this goes!

21. elro

elro Active Member

Hey Man! thanks heaps!!! Yeah, limited experience here too. This is my first full body sculpt xD

Thats a really good idea i think with the thread!!!. To give it a more 'jagged' look, ill try and fold it up and then drop it down on the surface first. Regardless, there will be pictures of the attempt on the way ;)

22. Darkie

Darkie Member

any updates?

elro likes this.
  23. elro

elro Active Member

Updates! (Sorry, been busy doing OTHER things >< we all know how annoying it is being kept away from our work xD hehehe).
    ---

Ive started on the back of the torso, and have put most things in place on the back. They still need refining (had only just slapped these on, then received a call from my GF saying I needed to go somewhere xD)

So I started off with the pelvis *NICKNAMED 'THE NAPPY'*, and then moved on to the spine *'THE BAT SIGNALS'*. (Naming parts is totally normal....)
    [​IMG]

And then, I tuned out into a working frenzy before I woke to having this :
    [​IMG]

Havent touched this since Sunday due to other commitments *grrrrr*. And will only get a few hours on this sunday (entire weekend is consumed except for sunday morning ><). At least I love doing the work when I have the time to. I seriously don't understand how people can procrastinate on getting stuff done - Its too much fun!!!!!!

Oh, and I bought this badboy last night :p (been looking forward to an airbrush for ages!):
    [​IMG]
    Too bad its going to be a little before getting to use it properly >< heheh.

24. elro

elro Active Member

Happy new year to all!!!

I had 2 weeks off (from my normal job), and spent the first week at my parents countryside home - Which I used the time to 'relax' AKA, cleaned out my fathers workshop and organised everything :p (There is nothing to do out there, and I was bored to hell ><)

I spent the last 5 days of my holiday to :

1. Make mold of second leg. (HANG ON, I didnt do that update. I've made one leg mold and casted it since my last update and this update).
    2. Finish Torso sculpt, and make mold of it.

Everyone loves pics, so here is a picture of the 2nd Leg mold, and the arm soaking in water that I sculpted about a year ago now (I didnt know how to mold at the time + they were my intro to Wed clay, remaking the arms is the best thing to do ;) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ Creepy isnt it :S lolololol.

Ok, from where I had last left the Torso, I still needed to create the shoulder spikes, and add the neck tendons.

[​IMG]
    ^ Basically created a trowel, then added rolled strips of clay. Then pushed their sides down to join them to the surface, and create overlapping effect.

Now, a quick breeze through the rest of the pics until the end of the molding process :

[​IMG]
    ^ If you look at the bottom, I noticed the Movie 3d modellers added a small part of female anatomy into the character. I refer to this part as the anatomical name...
    [​IMG]
    The back! Where most of the western comic fans will find their favorite part : Dont they look like an array of bat signals? xD At least I think so LOL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ Sliced the spikes off so the mold wasnt stupidly shaped / impossible seam line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ Have cleaned both sides out since that picture.

THIS ONE, I NEED ADVICE ABOUT! :S
    I ended up with a large crack in the mold. This is mostly due to the prying stage of the mold. I put it down to using flathead screwdrivers as my pry tools - The problem being the 'small' amount of area the tip and the length of the tool is pushing on the clay. There must be better ways to create pry holes + Methods in the wall stage that will cause less destruction at the pry stage? Ive watched lots of Tuts :popcorn but havent seen any real tips regarding the pry points??? :confused

Some advice would be wonderful !!! :)

[​IMG]

Im simply going to use some 2 part epoxy glue to join this part back on, then reinforce the outside with more plaster and some more burlap.

Well, not far to go now - The arms are relatively simple, and the hands and feet are nice SMALL enjoyable pieces to do compared to the legs and torso :p

I LOVE MAKING THE STUFF!!! SO MUCH FUN :D :D :D :love

25. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Looks amazing, planning on having this for supanova this year?

26. elro

elro Active Member

Actually its for sydanimania in the middle of the year hehehe. Not sure what im doing for nova yet? lol

27. Strickler

Ahh nice, yeah I am undecided about what to do for it as well. Fellow brisbanite as well btw.

28. elro

elro Active Member

Ohh cool! I may be bringing rem out for end of year nova at the RNA - Since the building should be ready by then. You know how hot is here, in a latex suit would be pretty sweaty at the current venue LOL

29. Strickler

Yep, plus walking through the building with,anything remotely fragile would get demolished. Though I can actually see people giving you a lot of space haha.

30. elro

elro Active Member

Moving Convo to PM :)

31. Impactor

Impactor New Member

Woah! I'm super impressed with this. This is your first sculpt? I must be doing something wrong! Can't wait to see this completed.
    What are you planning on casting it in?

32. elro

elro Active Member

First proper sculpt xD the previous two (thane mask, head crab) were sculpted ontop of pep models. I feel ive grown past pep now so I avoid using it. Plus stuff entirely from scratch is so much more fun and rewarding in the end :p

The final suit will be cast in Latex (hence the * heavy plaster molds lol), Im looking into the slush casting method atm, unfortunately Im not having much luck finding tutorials on it - Im just going to have trial and error it xD

Last night, I practiced painting latex around one part of the torso mold. Figured out the correct 'painting/ stippling' method needed. Next will be doing a full coat both sides, 'butter' the seam edge, add more latex, close mold, roll the * around every half hour leaving it to sit on a different side each time. in my mind it makes sense - But as always there will be a problem somewhere ill figure out lol,

33. elro

elro Active Member

Small update, But progress nonetheless!

Due to the minimal shots of the feet, I improvised the whole thing and added elements into it found on other parts of the character. Mainly the tiny tendons, and overlapping bone structures.

[​IMG]

And an idea of what'll look like with the leg (Note it seems HUGE atm, but yeah latex shrinks, so itll be AOK in the end :) )
    [​IMG]

I Plan to make the feet as a one part mold, that way the sole will be hollow (with a little extra coverage. Ill the have the feet over a pair of shoes like a boot cover, and ill gaffer tape the latex edge onto the sole - Gaffer can take a LOT more of a beating than having an actual latex sole xD

34. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

Figured I'd stop by this thread as I haven't checked it in a while. Nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

35. elro

elro Active Member

Thanks for stopping by! :D :D :D

Well, after this weekend I will have all the molds done ready to cast. Have to find a location to do the casting yet (My garage isnt the best place at all due to the smell ><).

After this weekend I hopefully will increase my work area from about 3m2 to 20m x 3m - I have an old car that has been living in there for over 2 years Ive been meaning to get rid of. Going to call a scrap collector in the morning to have it picked up (Was my first car, it died, im a bit senti/mental >< )

36. elro

elro Active Member

OH :

Im going to need something new to sculpt now :cry:S - Something Anime/ japanese video games...

Suggestions PLEASE?? :confused :confused :confused

37. elro

elro Active Member

(Firstly, regarding my previous post, my next project is going to be 'Abe's Oddysee' :) )

Ok here is a BIG update :D

CBF typing too much right now, pics speak themselves :

During the Brisbane floods, I lost power for 3 days, had set up and worked on the hands on my Grandma's balcony - I actually prefer my garage, city living is too ****** noisy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These two pics are creating the seam for the mold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seeing as the arms are actually the same both sides (just turned over) I only need to sculpt one, cast twice.
    [​IMG]

Seeing as all the major molds were done, I gained permission from my partner's mother to do the casting in their backyard :
    [​IMG]

There was a catch however, wear a hat, and sunscreen. They had this ripper of a hat laying about :
    [​IMG]

I tried the large slush cast method on the legs, and a brush cast on the torso. The brush cast came out great and is much easier IMO. (brush : pour enough latex into each mold, and brush around the surface until it builds to desired thickness. Joined 2 halves together, and then run latex into the seams)

Pics of the latex inside the molds (was nervous as hell casting these since ive never cast anything this big, and trying a new method) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then a day later, demolding was done, and celebration was had!!!

This is the output of the brush cast - Nice surface all over:
    [​IMG]

These two were the slush cast, unfortunate pooling the centre regions creating particularly thick centres, and wobbly other parts. Useable, but wont be doing this method again.
    [​IMG]

The hands were the industry standard, brush a detail layer, fill, leave sit for a few hours (wanted them thin as possible for better dexterity)
    [​IMG]

And here is all the parts cast so far (all that is left to do, is the arm, shoulder spikes, neck staples, and the wig... oh and painting of course)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38. Strickler

Man it looks amazing. Glad to see nothing got ruined during our floods.

39. Alpha Proto

Alpha Proto Sr Member

Those are very good pulls!
    I know how you feel about casting. I have never molded anything with stone. I am a silicon guy. I have a bag of Ultra Cal, and Aliginate in my gauge just setting there. The thought of losing my sculpt freaks me out:cry

Are you still looking for anime creature suggestions?

40. elro

elro Active Member

Thanks man!!! a few days later now and they have cured well, slipped the torso on last night, any smaller and it wouldve been impossible xD lol. Going to have to cut a line down the back and add velcro seeing as ill need to have a back mount for the wings underneath.

And yeah, anime creature suggestions are very welcome! :D

41. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

This is amazing stuff dude! Really nice work on the sculpting. Good to see it's all happening in the Briz.

42. Alpha Proto

Alpha Proto Sr Member

Looking at your body type I think you could sculpt a great Lord Rator/Zabel from Darkstalkers. That was a character I always wanted to attempt but I dont have the body type. The chest would have to extend out a bit. Plus the shoulders and hips would have to widen some. Anything to make your core look smaller.

With your skills I think you could do it.

43. elro

elro Active Member

UPDATE TIME!

Not far off now!!! :D :D :D

I spent several hours testing different ways to paint bone on the feet, then proceeded to test a technique I figured out on one of the legs. The leg is a bit dark at the moment, so will need to lighten it up but I really like the look.

Basically:

2/1 Black / Raw Umber Ink = Base coat (1/1 ration ink to latex) + ( 1/5 [ink/latex] to Cloudy ammonia) The ammonia is for airbrush thinning.
    Cover all lower areas, and hit the surfaces as well if you want dark 'bleed through' spots.

Then 1/1 paint to brush latex mix - The paint is 2 drops smoked pearl to 5 drops chinese white. Using a sponge either dab or 'smudge' across the surface with the white (dab out streaks). I built this up with 3 layers of the mix to achieve decent coverage - I used a heatgun between layers to dry the paint.

Next, where i spent lots of time trying out different thinning methods - One notable awesome failure but good to know for future = adding latex into isopropyl causes it to frizzle immediately into a brain kind of look. If you need mushed brain, do this :)

OK, Three colors thinned for 'flicking' on via short brush to give age/depth etc.

These are 'mont marte' brand acrylic paint I bought from a dollar store (They are actually excellent paints). all thinned harshly so the effect is more subtle

Applied in order:
    CADMIUM YELLOW + ISOPROPYL
    SCARLET + few drops black ink to get a maroon color + WATER = I found water made it behave more how i wanted vs. Isopropyl.
    Ultramarine blue + ISOPROPYL - Gives an old 'vein stain' look.

Then hit the lower areas with the dark chocolate again, then brushed the white mix over the high points to tie it back together.

OK PICS!
    This is just after the flicking, needs white on higher areas.
    [​IMG]

Full view of the leg:
    [​IMG]

OHH and for the shoulder spikes:

I broke the molds by doing this, mainly due to them not being thick enough + the latex REALLY stuck hard for some reason? I made the latex skins in the mold, then dropped in AB foam. Cut holes out of the torso, pinned spikes in place then joined the seams with several layers of brush latex and a heat gun to speed things up - Since there is no real 'texture' This way is much quicker than cabopatching :) - If it was textured then I wouldve seam it properly LOL.

[​IMG]

FINALLY//

Here is an unlisted video for you guys to see all the parts in chocolate brown xD (Dont share this video, since Its still fairly on the downlow locally here)

Rem Progress / Base coat down - YouTube

Thanks for checking in guys!! :D

44. Alpha Proto

Alpha Proto Sr Member

Looking great! Very good progress!

45. booksandcorsets

booksandcorsets Well-Known Member

HOW did I miss this thread for so long?? Looks great thus far!!!

46. elro

elro Active Member

Update time!!!

IT IS PAINTED!!! :p check it out here : (Once again, unlisted video so please dont share)_

Ive also made a start on the wings this weekend. The basic idea is : Make a solid frame that restricts 'travel' of the wings poking through the skeletal suit.

Made a design with some nifty grid paper, and used 3x40mm aluminium strips, hinges, MDF, PVC pipe and a butt load of bolts and Nylock nuts (I LOVE NYLOCKKKK!)

Here we are :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note : The 6 square pieces that poke out need to be folded back, and will have a total of 4 luggage straps (2 each side) that can be tightened to 'clamp' my body better.

So the PVC pipe will have the wings built onto them - the frame will sit underneath the latex suit, with the 6 bolts poking through, and the wings then slot on and are locked down with wingnuts.|

The next step on this frame is building a canvas jacket around the frame (oh and adding foam padding to the underside of the metal first)

Best thing about this? it only weighs 1-2 KG. LIGHTWEIGHT! :D

Oh and to bend aluminium on the cheap?

$12 steel trolley wheel :
    [​IMG]
    Clamp with foot pressure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then repeat!
    [​IMG]

Also, its a shame no one will see the alu of the frame, but * does it polish nicely :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  47. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Wow. Have been meaning to check in on this project since forever. It's looking great!

48. elro

elro Active Member

Ok quick update!

Had to sculpt the head of the character 'Gelus' as a 3/4 mask for my partner. Smashed this out in about 3 hours (hit the 'zone' really quickly and was shocked that it was pretty much done before i knew it xD )

heres a youtube video of it (because video is currently better than stills) :
    ALSO :

Nwerke, Alyssa, and Alpha - Thanks for checking in guys :D I dont know how many people are following this thread but Im happy that at least a few talented people are watching and giving feedback, it actually means a lot! thank you guys :) !!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  49. booksandcorsets

booksandcorsets Well-Known Member

Seriously, you are doing some stellar work here and more people should be watching. I am really looking forward to seeing it all come together!!

50. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic job!! Looking forward to seeing this finished :) :thumbsup