Red Jammer Parts Maps

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Big Dog, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Studio Kitbash

Studio Kitbash Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Orientation question:

Can someone who has "already done it" tell me what the orientation is, and what section of the Bandai 1/48 Tiger 1 upper deck gets cut (top left, top right, lower left, lower right) to go onto the Y-Wing Fuselage underside on the top right quadrant of Picture 8/16 in Post 1's Parts Maps.

I can't tell from the picture, or my screen is too small, and would appreciate a little guidance.

And lastly: if you're not a purist, does the Tamiya 1/48 deck of the same tank yield an equal (if more detailed/better molded) usable part? Anybody taken this approach? And if so, did you use Tamiya's Early Production, or Late Production, or their Initial Production version of the Tiger 1?

Thanks.

2. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

This part?

Tiger.PNG

Its the middle of the back deck between the (I assume) exhaust or intake. It's orientated as shown.

Flintlock and Studio Kitbash like this.
  3. Studio Kitbash

Sweet - thanks!

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

The pictures in the first post should be pretty big but the underside ones are pretty blurry based on the scan I used. Clicking once on the image to enlarge them and then a second time to be taken to a webpage of the image should give you a high quality and zoomable version.

5. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Anyone know what kit this comes from?

neckthing.PNG

6. propcollector

propcollector Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about the cockpit? I have a pic of it if needed!!

Big Dog likes this.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

I'd be very interested in a Y-Wing cockpit image! But for this thread, I've tried my best to keep with using images of Red Jammer only, besides the underside scans which are almost identical across each Y. Red Jammer didn't have a detailed pilot's cockpit, so maybe you can post your image here so we can discuss and work on a map for it? Just so it's in the more general Y-Wing part talk.

8. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So the more I look at the exposed section of the engine (in between the Saturn V cone and the LEM shroud) the more I think it's some sort of jet engine part with additional detail parts attached rather than a Plastruct tube with detail parts. In this photo of one of the models being assembled you can see what appears to be a cylindrical base with molded on wiring, similar to the Revell Phantom engine used on the X-Wing. But the Phantom engine is too small in diameter to have been used here. Any ideas on what kit the part may come from?

[​IMG]

Flintlock likes this.
  9. WINGNIT

WINGNIT Active Member

Dave- Great observation! It would need to be a big engine to fall in scale with the Saturn V and LEM shroud. My guess is jet or back end of a radial engine in 1/24 scale? Going back to the commonly used kits in that size for the Y-wing as the most obvious- you can eliminate the ME-109, Hurricane, and Mustang as all three had V-12 piston driven engines (the latter two using the Rolls-Royce Merlin- the greatest gift to aviation ever....purr).

The harrier was used on this though so it may be the first place to peek. The Lancaster was used as well, and one of the versions used Merlins but the other used 4 radials. It's a stretch on size though. May be too small.

Other than that, I'm at a loss and it may be back to hunting a new kit ID.

Flintlock likes this.
  10. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The part you are looking at is from the Bandai 1/48 Panther G.

Stu

Flintlock likes this.
  11. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

Stu, If you were replying to DaveG, he was referring to the inner cylindrical piece that the Panther G part is glued onto.

12. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahhhh gotcha!. Not had my coffee yet, so misread...oops.

13. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Could it be a phantom engine ?

14. DaveG

The Revell Phantom engine is too small.

15. sjanish

sjanish Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mig-21?

I don't have the kit so I have no appreciation for how big it might be.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  16. Studio Kitbash

Does anybody know what the ID of this part is, and which kit it come from? It's from the MM models Greeblie Pack #2, and is the piece that goes on the rear vector shroud, but none of the greeblies in Greeblie Pack #2 are identified.

Thanks,

SK IMG_3461.jpg

17. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

IMG_7763.PNG

From this map map I think the green mystery part that is butted up against the harrier piece, is an internal tank from the 1/24 airfix hurricane
    see my image and see what you think
    IMG_7707.JPG
    This tanks other half is too detailed with banding detail .clean up the part and it's what I will go with

18. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

19. BowmanArt

BowmanArt New Member

Yup that's me. Those are pieces off of grabcad, I forget the guys name, that I modified for shapeways. They should be sized correctly. Grabcads selection is incomplete, so that's all I can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DaveG

Has anyone done parts maps for the parts that go on the Saturn V engine cans?

kokkari likes this.
  21. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

There was one in the original parts map started by dtssyst. I don't believe it was finished though.

22. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Spent some time and just made this map which has also been added to the first post. Hopefully this is what you were talking about. I don't know many of the unique detail pieces though.

port_engine_main_detail.png

And here is a starboard engine ID. Wasn't sure how else to show it at the moment, but here it is:
    panzer_vi_piece.jpg

23. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

is this one end of a piece off 1/35 Italeri katiusza
    See top left of this image on zvesda kit , is this the same tooling does anyone know
    IMG_7792.JPG

24. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Found italeri kit scan

IMG_7793.JPG

25. DaveG

Is there a parts map for the rear bulkhead of the forward fuselage? I (vaguely) recall seeing one but haven't been able to refind it. Thanks!

26. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Here is the one that has been floating around the RPF for a while. I do not know how accurate it is or where it originated to give them credit.
    Back.jpg

27. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

I put it together, I think it's correct for the most part. I based my bulkhead on it.

13 is from the Nichimo Tiger II. Still no answer on 11 or if it's even the correct part.

kokkari likes this.
  28. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Sorry Ron, I didn't realize it was yours or else I would have given you credit and coming from you, it must be accurate.

29. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Lol. No problem Mike. I wouldn't have even commented if it wasn't for part 13.

30. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm pretty sure that I know #11 but I can't remember where it's from, I just need to find it in my kits again. I'm thinking that it's from a large scale (1:400?) ship.

31. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

No love for my first potential part I.D ?

32. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

Looks to me to be the correct size and shape.
    I'll use it on my build.

Vacformedhero likes this.
  33. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Update: #11 looks like it's from the Heller 1:400 Task Force/Ravitaillement.

Hammer3246 likes this.
  34. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

From what I can tell It doesn't look like a match to me, I was however pointed towards this part from the Tamiya 1/35 M36 Jackson. It's close, but not quite.

jackson.jpg

35. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

36. BowmanArt

BowmanArt New Member

Yes it is. What's that part it's sitting on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dog likes this.
  37. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Sorry forgot to mention that. Airfix Sharnhorst. It was the whole point of my post. Lol.

Scott Graham and Big Dog like this.
  38. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

l couldn't find a decent shot on the Jammer of the part but its from the 1/72 Airfix Henkel He 177.

henk177.PNG

Studio Kitbash, dirtydave and Big Dog like this.
  39. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Also from the 1/72 Airfix Henkel He 177.

Capture1.PNG

40. Studio Kitbash

Oh this is a genius discovery -- been searching through tank reticles fruitlessly for many weeks now. Thank you!

Hammer3246 likes this.
  41. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

You're Welcome, they're actually quite thick so I'm assuming holes were drilled into the Harrier part and they were placed inside. I can't imagine trying to sand the backside down.

42. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Awesome finds recently Hammer I'm glad there's someone still finding new kits that are a part of this build! I'll work on some map updates next week for the Henkel parts.

Hammer3246 likes this.
  43. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

I did some comparisons and it looks to me like the 1/600 Airfix Graf Spee (left) is a better match than the Nelson for this part.

20161124_093243.jpg

Scott Graham likes this.
  44. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Does the bigger size seem to match better?

45. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Yeah. It's not a lot bigger but it does look better.

46. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

Looks like you guys are really knocking this thing out.

47. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

48. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Anyone seen any reference for the detailing for the inside of the engine nozzles? Is hard to make out what's in there. I think I see some pipes, but it's difficult to tell.

49. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've only seen reports of the bandai 1/48 panther used in there, but can't really make out what's happening either.

50. Studio Kitbash

I've seen Panther G in 1/48 scale, but no mention of which part number, and also the Bandai 1/48 planes: 1.) Cessna 150, 2.) Aero-Subaru FA-200, and 3.) Piper Super Cub PA 18, all three of which provide you with the half-piece of the Lycoming engine piece that is the confirmed donor, part #25 on the Aero-Subaru FA-200. If anyone knows which Panther G piece it is, please advise.

Also, does anyone know "how often" these pieces show up? Is it simply one piece per engine nozzle, or does it show up on both sides of the engine interior, or on all 4 sections as you go around the piping? So if I have the necessary pieces, how many castings of each do I need per Y-Wing?