Red Jammer Parts Maps

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Big Dog, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Seeing Dave's open source project I was inspired to learn about the Y-Wing model and see what I learn about which models were used to make these ANH ships. Here are the maps for Red Jammer, the original Y which never even had screen time. This is a compilation of information largely found far before my time (but most recently shared here) and made possible by those who care for Star Wars and don't mind collaborating and searching for kit answers together!

Port (Left) Side:

mC08HPp.png

XkyqKU4.png

HPBxYF8.png

VLGG8yu.png

zoXWViL.png

jmpam8V.png

Underside:

XJcNyMF.png

gPQUsCA.png

Top:

FGzg9IJ.png

5hkuiBQ.png

tNssvzk.png

fVqz9xJ.png

Starboard (Right) Side:

QY4yYe4.png

jH29bEm.png

iMSR7XA.png

Engines(Rear & Sides):

tn1dXSO.png

NlD4t2N.png

Updates will continue as I have time and more info is learned! I think I may just make a map of the engine assembly just once and then identify the unique pieces present on the engines in their own images, respectively.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job Big Dog! Thanks for sharing them.

Big Dog likes this.
  3. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent work John

Big Dog likes this.
  4. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Picture #3 part #5 is Tamiya 1/12 lotus type 49.

Dave

Big Dog and Hammer3246 like this.
  5. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

(y)thumbsup

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Thanks everyone! And wow Dave thank you for that ID! I hadn't looked at or heard of that kit before. Ill go check out that kit now!

Edit: Image updated with Dave's ID

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  7. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Looking really "great"! Nice clear maps.

8. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Big dog loving how clear and easy to read your reference maps are. Can you clarify how this is different from the other Y parts map for me besides being more clear? I was under the impression that was a parts map for Red Jammer also?

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Thanks for the compliments kokkari! These are maps similar to the other ones I and others have made yes, I just wanted them to have their own thread where they can clearly be placed and updated in the first post. That is the only difference :)

kokkari likes this.
  10. Rats

Rats Sr Member

in the canopy turret map, don't you mean Airfix Me109 (Bf109E), rather than Tamiya???

11. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

On the rear engine

In Scotts thread I said that the part (mystery part 1) under the Panzer III part (mystery part 3) might be from the Nichimo Sd.Kfz.184 'ELEFANT' Tank Destroyer

[​IMG]

Tamiya 1/35 Panzer III

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  12. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Also not 100% sure but you might need the Tiger 11 for the rear plate not the jagdtiger. Tiger11 in my pic above.

13. Rats

Rats Sr Member

The Nichimo Tiger 2 and the Jagdtiger decks are 99% identical, the only difference is the size of the centre hole in one of the vents below the door (closest to rear), which is cut from the part on the model. The Jagdtiger also supplies the travelling rest for the barrel as a SS donor (picture here; http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=583659&d=1454048210) and 3-4 other parts on the Y.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    3phase likes this.
  14. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I get .492" for the outside diameter and .14" for the height of the circular part. Here it is from the bottom:

elefant.jpg

The overall height (including the tube that extends down from the bottom) is about .391".

MonsieurTox likes this.
  16. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

You are absolutely right! I must have been making that map late one night and not thinking. Thank you for the fix! I'll fix that right away.

And I'd love to add the Elefant piece as an ID but I was looking at images of the Jammer rear and didn't think it used the same piece. I thought the piece looked like it had rivet looking bumps around its outside rim. But I don't see those in the images I've seen. I'd be happy to be totally wrong though!

17. stonky

Yes, the Elefant part is totally featureless (ie. no rivets, etc.).

18. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

The Elefant part looks correct to me, here's the pic of an ILM raw casting used on every Y-Wing, Red Jammer included (I just hope I wont get my pic deleted by the mods once again) :

[​IMG]

There's no rivets, the only rivets are on the Panzer III M/N part. There's some raised details on the Red Jammer part but can't figure if they are rivets or dust ?

[edit] Just checked my Red Jammer pics, they're definitely not rivets, there're only 2 small raised details which are probably dust, the rest of the flange is smooth.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    stonky likes this.
  19. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Yeah that is what I was looking at on the Jammer and I saw the two spots making me think they were rivet type bumps. But it makes sense that they're paint clumps or something. I will add the Elefant part to the image! Thanks everyone!

stonky likes this.
  20. stonky

When I put the Panzer part over the Elefant part they look like a match.

MonsieurTox and Big Dog like this.
  21. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Thanks for the confirmation, one more kit to get ! :D

stonky likes this.
  22. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks stonky!!

stonky likes this.
  23. stonky

No worries!

24. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

After all these years trying to find one I did it. :D

stonky and Big Dog like this.
  25. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Updated the upper neck (droid socket) image. Thanks to beaz mentioning the shell welder in the SD thread, I checked it out and saw the piece for the neck in an image! There's so many brands that made this shell welder, check scalemates for them all.

Awesome job 3phase! Thank you for your help! It's a very satisfying feeling to find a part!

26. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did you find the shell welder pics in a kit review? I've been looking for places online that have good ship scans/pics/reference.

27. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

No I saw it this time in a random image of a fully built kit through a google image search. But since there are 8 or so kit releases, I was able to find this sale page which had a scan of it. This website usually has pretty good images of kit sprues. Coincidentally the piece I marked in the map is the upside down one in this image.

28. dirtydave

Picture #2 the part on the end of the Hurricane landing gear is from the Kettenkrad.

Dave

Big Dog likes this.
  29. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Thanks a lot for that one Dave! First post has been updated :)

30. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Hey John, here's a pic I found. I have the kit at home but I don't know when I'll be back there.
    shell.jpg

Big Dog likes this.
  31. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

I've added a new image to the top side section in the first post. It's a great image that shows most pieces on the top of Red Jammers fuselage. Things are moving along nicely with all of this! Thank you everyone for sharing and helping out!

stonky and Hammer3246 like this.
  32. Rats

Rats Sr Member

In the fourth picture, "Port Side Mid Wall", the steering wheel part is a 1/72 flight yoke from most likely a B-17. My money's on the Airfix "Flying Fortress", but it could be Revell or Hasegawa too. The B-29 and B-17 both had that style of yoke, but the Airfix Superfortress looks wrong for the part.

Big Dog likes this.
  33. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Thank you very much Rats! I'll start looking into those flying fortresses! I just checked the Revell B17G and it looked close but a bit thin of a piece. I'll keep looking :)

34. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

I have amended the image of the fuselage rear panel. You were absolutely right it's the Tiger II! Great call on that. I checked it again this evening after seeing one left over picture here! Definitely the Tiger II based on the holes left and right of the middle panel.

35. dirtydave

Could you point out what the difference is.The Jagdtiger looks right to me.

Dave

36. stonky

I have to say that it looks like the Jagdtiger to me too.

37. vectorzero

Here are the Tiger II (left) and Jagdtiger hulls side by side. Click the image once for slightly bigger, and then click again for very high resolution.

View attachment 6M4A8845.JPG View attachment 6M4A8852.JPG

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Big Dog likes this.
  38. vectorzero

The Jagdtiger has the extra 'dumbell' shapes around the perimeter of the central hatch. Julien posted a picure of a casting here which shows those same shapes.

39. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Defiantly the jagdtiger. There is also a small spru centered above the left round vent on the tiger11 that is not on the jag

40. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

Agreed. Julien was right. :)
    Thanks vectorzero for the comparison photos. It made it very clear.

41. stonky

Another closeup on the Jagdtiger:

jagd.jpg

Big Dog likes this.
  42. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

I see it now. Definitely the Jagdtiger. I'm sorry for the confusion last night! I thought I saw something closer in the Tiger II, but the markings in the corners of the circular vents are what make the jagdtiger correct absolutely. I will revise my image back to its old state now! It was tough to see the piece too well in the image from the kit scan section as a shadow was being cast on it mostly. Thanks stonky for that awesome close up, if you don't mind I'll use that as the part example in the map when I revise it!

43. stonky

Please do! This one might be better:

jagd2.jpg

Big Dog likes this.
  44. maxhebus

Are we sure for the brand? Dragon and Tamiya have a version too. I believe Dragon's version has the hatch separated. :)

45. vectorzero

Dragon did not exist as a business before 1987 so we can be definitive that their kits are not a source.

46. stonky

The Tamiya Jagdtiger details don't match, the Nichimo is a dead match (IMHO :) ).

Big Dog likes this.
  47. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

I have updated the first post image of the rear engine panel now! It has a few new mystery pieces based on seeing that back panel casting on the first page of the thread. The jagdtiger is definitely the donor kit. The image of the rear panel cast and the closeups provided by stonky and vector make it clear. The biggest giveaway to me is the 2 holes in the bottom left of the middle panel, and the 4 tabs that appear at the corners of the round vents on the left and right side of the middle panel.

stonky likes this.
  48. maxhebus

Hi Stonki.
    I have no doubt that the Nichimo is the Absolute one. :)
    I just believe that if more options are available to make it look correct even without the perfect donnor, it might interest some people who can not find easily or do not mind if it is the one as long as it looks exactly the same.
    It's extra option/knowledge to help around. ;)

DaveG and jontom like this.
  49. stonky

1000% agree, substitute to taste. That said, this thread is about IDing the donor parts which is why I wanted to present the best evidence to that case. Your question was "Are we sure for the brand?", and I believe that in this context the answer is yes, yes we are. :)

swgeek likes this.
  50. maxhebus

Fair enough. :)

stonky likes this.