Recaster Alert - Final Verdict Page One Post One

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Watson, May 9, 2006.

1. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

**ANOTHER UPDATE**

Here is is the actual guy who is ripping me off and here is his current auction for my tiles. Anyone recognize this e bay user name y-winger 1

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-4-piece-Deat...1QQcmdZViewItem

I contacted evil bay and I really can't do anything else at this point. He intends to continue using the molds. My conversation with him on AIM:

**UPDATE**

The gentleman who was selling these has contacted me and has provided me with the information of the person who sold them to him claiming to be his own design.

I checked the name and email against my sales records and sure enough I sold a set of 9 panels to this guy on ebay last year. I am going to work with the mods from several boards to find out if this person has registered with them to find out if he is a member anywhere.

If that turns up empty I will be seeing if any of you know who this guy is. Thank you so much for the support today guys. It is days like today that I realize that although there are a few bad apples the majority of us watch each others backs.

Greg

Mike Salzo emails me this link to an ebay auction this morning. I was laughing at first but now I am super *.

This asshat is selling my Death Star panels and even offering a "Certificate of Authenticity to show that it is an original model being produced by Gares Designs & Creations"

Man how can someone feel good about doing this. The only thing I can say is that he is at least overcharging for them. Does anyone know who this guy is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Science-Fiction-Surfac...bayphotohosting

Here is a link to my site showing my progress as I built these:
    http://www.blockheadpictures.com/scratchbuild.html

The picture in his auction:
    e4_1.jpg

My Set:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Buckeye_01

Buckeye_01 New Member

That sucks man. I hope he gets whats coming to him for all his BS claims.

3. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]1241225[/snapback]</div>
    I just sent this to him via e Bay

Just so you know, I do not appreciate you recasting my work. I worked hard to make these and I do not appreciate you claiming them as an original piece from you.

I am asking that you at least have the decency to remove this auction.

JDH

4. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Can you file a complaint with eBay and have his auctions pulled? It looks like you have enough evidence to support that he is a lying scumbag recaster.

5. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ May 9 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1241234[/snapback]</div>
    I honestly do not know since, technically it is an interpretation of the death star surface. Although it is my original work I am not sure if I have a leg to stand on. I also want to give this guy a chance to do the right thing. Either way it will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

G

6. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I would say they look nothing like the Deathstar surface and have nothing to do with it.

7. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Looks to me like this is 100% your work inspired by the Star Wars films, I believe that gives you a leg to stand on in the matter.

Jim

8. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

At least he had the decency to shuffle the pieces around in a failed attempt to make it look different from your. What a putz. :angry

9. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryancd @ May 9 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]1241253[/snapback]</div>

hahaha that he did. No repsonse yet.

10. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Sorry to hear about this, Greg. :angry

Any idea how he got a copy of your base?

11. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

12. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rocketeer25 @ May 9 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1241269[/snapback]</div>
    Not at present. When I get home tonight I will look through my records and see if I ever sold some to anyone in his area or someone with a similar name. Not tooting my own horn but I have sold allot of these since I made them. So who knows.

Greg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ May 9 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1241270[/snapback]</div>

Oh Mother @#$%. I am * now. This guy has a serious set of brass ones.

Oh look everyone, this gentleman has a contact page:

http://www.garesdesignsandcreations.com/Contact.html

13. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

He has a recasting service....Err, I mean casting service :angel

14. Watson

Well I went ahead and notified e Bay.

JDH

15. xeno

xeno Well-Known Member

16. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Greg, here's more info on this guy at his blog.

Blog

17. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EchoLeader @ May 9 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]1241320[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I have his address and phone number now. Trying to decide what to do.

G

18. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Let us know if we should engage in a e-mail assault.

19. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryancd @ May 9 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]1241324[/snapback]</div>
    No none of that, although I cannot control what others do ;)

If you google his name, and you can get it off his website blog page, he appears to be a well known modeler with allot of awards.

I want to give him every benefit of the doubt before I do anything rash.

Thanks for having my back B

Greg

20. Buckeye_01

Buckeye_01 New Member

I have a feeling you are going to get the * of this deal. You put in all the hard work, and he takes all the credit. I don't doubt your word in the least, but are his casts the same size as yours? Again, I am sorry to see this happen.

21. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1241354[/snapback]</div>
    He says "Each piece measures in at 5 3/4" square and are made of solid resin" My masters are almost 6 squared so with second gen casting and shrinkage that sounds about right.

A member at SSM PM'ed me that he is a member at a forum called the Clubhouse and so is this guy. I supplied them with all the evidence and they have agreed that the panels he is selling are mine. They are trying to get to the bottom of it on thier end.

22. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

JDH,

I got my torch and pitchfork ready. :angry

C'mon everybody...let's GET HIM. :angry

The Wook

23. houdiniguy

houdiniguy Sr Member

My heart goes out to you bro.

How about you put your own posting on ebay and sell them at a lower price and as the original, NOT a copy. and in the description tell lookers to beware of rip off copies.
    Howard has seen casts of his beautiful originals done and he now sells on ebay.

Thoughts?

Justa thought.
    Best to you.
    Tom

24. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Sorry to hear about this. I think the best you can do is notify as many prop makers/collectors forums out there so his business dries up.

25. Buckeye_01

Buckeye_01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Wook @ May 9 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]1241362[/snapback]</div>
    I'm game for slammin this jackass into the weeds.. I've got my vasoliene and straight razor at the ready..

26. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Greg's on the right track -- take it one step at a time... Give the guy the opportunity to pull the auction and the web site entry, and if he declines...

THEN WE BURY HIM..

27. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

Any updates?

28. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GuntahKela @ May 9 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]1241499[/snapback]</div>
    Not yet, but email is giving me fits so it is entirely possible he has emailed me though I am doubting it.

G

29. Watson

Just got this response over at Starship Modeler and Hobby Talk from the guy who runs that webpage:

And My repsonse:
    Ball is in his court to now produce his partner.

30. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

Well, at least he's agreed to even take them off of his site. That's gotta be a plus.

31. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Ebay auction is down as well :thumbsup

32. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedipunk @ May 9 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]1241595[/snapback]</div>
    Update post one page one

33. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jades Dark Heart @ May 9 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1241620[/snapback]</div>
    I hope it works out for you Greg :thumbsup
    1 down 1 to go.

34. Watson

Another update with new info page one post one

35. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

36. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

37. gokarosama

gokarosama Well-Known Member

"May God have mercy on your soul"?

I appreciate you feel ripped off, and that the guy, in fact, has behaved irresponsibly. But dude.

38. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gokarosama @ May 10 2006, 05:40 AM) [snapback]1241860[/snapback]</div>

Thou shalt not steal.