Recaster Alert - Final Verdict Page One Post One

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
**ANOTHER UPDATE**

Here is is the actual guy who is ripping me off and here is his current auction for my tiles. Anyone recognize this e bay user name y-winger 1

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-4-piece-Deat...1QQcmdZViewItem

I contacted evil bay and I really can't do anything else at this point. He intends to continue using the molds. My conversation with him on AIM:

Gauntlett: Hiya
Gauntlett: Can I ask you a question
Gauntlett: Are you enjoying recasting my tiles that I sold to you on March 21st of last

msfockered: hello?
Gauntlett: hiya
Gauntlett: This Charlie or Garrett
msfockered: Garret, who's this?
Gauntlett: This is the guy you bought the death star surface panels from last year
msfockered: Don't remember that.
Gauntlett: really
Gauntlett: do you still use paypal?
Gauntlett: Do you also not recall sending me 112.50 for the 9 death star panels you bought from me off ebay?
Gauntlett: on March 21, 2005?
Gauntlett: well?
Gauntlett: Transaction Details
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eBay Payment Received (ID # 0SM4645930063925K)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Amount:
$112.50 USD
Fee Amount:
-$3.56 USD
Net Amount:
$108.94 USD

Date:
Mar. 21, 2005
Time:
15:33:44 PST
Completed

Item # Item Title Qty Price Subtotal
7502576950 Star Wars Death Star Surface Panels 9-Panel Kit 1 $105.00 USD $105.00 USD

Shipping & Handling
(includes any seller handling fees) $7.50 USD
Shipping Insurance : --

Total: $112.50 USD

Seller Protection Policy:
Eligible

Attn. Sellers:
You must ship to the address shown below to be protected under PayPal's Seller Protection Policy.
Shipping Address:

pittsburgh, PA 15212
United States
Confirmed

Payment From:
******* ***** (The sender of this payment is Verified)
Buyer's ID:
focker2005
Buyer's Email:
msfockered@aol.com
Payment Sent to:

gwatson@**********

Payment Type:
Instant

Action:
Print Packing Slip | Add Tracking Info
Description:
Star Wars Death Star Surface Panels 9-Panel Kit

Refund Information: To refund this payment in part of full for any reason, please use the Send Money tab. The Refund Payment option is available for 60 days after a payment was sent.
Note:
The additional 5 pieces I want is A,B,C,D,A. Please notify me when you ship these. Thanks.

*** Error while sending IM: Refused by client
Gauntlett: Nothing?

Gauntlett: Nothing?
msfockered: Sorry, I don't type real fast so I can't answer everyone at once.
Gauntlett: So do you even care you are ripping me off?
msfockered: I don't mean to rip you off if I don't remember. If you say that you did sell them to me, then I will obide by the laws of reproducing someone elses work then have to stop.
Gauntlett: dude look at your own paypal. march 21 2005 look at the auction details
Gauntlett: if you are abiding by not selling others works then I would think that you need to send me the molds
Gauntlett: or destroy them and send me the pictures as you destroy them step by step each one
msfockered: I see the feedback from the transaction. I will stop then because I don't want to make others mad at me.
Gauntlett: and the molds?
msfockered: Well, I need the molds for my own use. I am currently making a display for my own collection and need to be able to make them for my models I have at home.
msfockered: I apologize for the mix up. I really thought I had purchased them from a flea market and didn't remember buying them from you.
Gauntlett: I cant stop you from further stealing from me. By not destroying them or sending them to me you intend to further recasting my work
Gauntlett: People like you make this hobby suck
Gauntlett: you drive the good builders away with your lack of ethics and lackluster moral code
Gauntlett: if you make one more copy of that even for yourself you are stealing
Gauntlett: pure and simple
Gauntlett: may god have mercy on your soul
[/b]

**UPDATE**

The gentleman who was selling these has contacted me and has provided me with the information of the person who sold them to him claiming to be his own design.

I checked the name and email against my sales records and sure enough I sold a set of 9 panels to this guy on ebay last year. I am going to work with the mods from several boards to find out if this person has registered with them to find out if he is a member anywhere.

If that turns up empty I will be seeing if any of you know who this guy is. Thank you so much for the support today guys. It is days like today that I realize that although there are a few bad apples the majority of us watch each others backs.

Greg

Mike Salzo emails me this link to an ebay auction this morning. I was laughing at first but now I am super pissed.

This ****** is selling my Death Star panels and even offering a "Certificate of Authenticity to show that it is an original model being produced by Gares Designs & Creations"

Man how can someone feel good about doing this. The only thing I can say is that he is at least overcharging for them. Does anyone know who this guy is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Science-Fiction-Surfac...bayphotohosting

Here is a link to my site showing my progress as I built these:
http://www.blockheadpictures.com/scratchbuild.html

The picture in his auction:
e4_1.jpg

My Set:
dscomp1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]1241225[/snapback]</div>
That sucks man. I hope he gets whats coming to him for all his BS claims.
[/b]

I just sent this to him via e Bay

Just so you know, I do not appreciate you recasting my work. I worked hard to make these and I do not appreciate you claiming them as an original piece from you.

I am asking that you at least have the decency to remove this auction.

JDH

Can you file a complaint with eBay and have his auctions pulled? It looks like you have enough evidence to support that he is a lying scumbag recaster.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ May 9 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1241234[/snapback]</div>
Can you file a complaint with eBay and have his auctions pulled? It looks like you have enough evidence to support that he is a lying scumbag recaster.
[/b]

I honestly do not know since, technically it is an interpretation of the death star surface. Although it is my original work I am not sure if I have a leg to stand on. I also want to give this guy a chance to do the right thing. Either way it will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

G

I would say they look nothing like the Deathstar surface and have nothing to do with it.

Looks to me like this is 100% your work inspired by the Star Wars films, I believe that gives you a leg to stand on in the matter.

Jim

At least he had the decency to shuffle the pieces around in a failed attempt to make it look different from your. What a putz. :angry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryancd @ May 9 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]1241253[/snapback]</div>
At least he had the decency to shuffle the pieces around in a failed attempt to make it look different from your. What a putz. :angry
[/b]

hahaha that he did. No repsonse yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rocketeer25 @ May 9 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1241269[/snapback]</div>
Sorry to hear about this, Greg. :angry

Any idea how he got a copy of your base?
[/b]

Not at present. When I get home tonight I will look through my records and see if I ever sold some to anyone in his area or someone with a similar name. Not tooting my own horn but I have sold allot of these since I made them. So who knows.

Greg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ May 9 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1241270[/snapback]</div>
He is also selling them on his web site (larger pictures of each of the sections):

http://www.garesdesignsandcreations.com/Sc...ceModelKit.html
[/b]

Oh Mother @#$%. I am pissed now. This guy has a serious set of brass ones.

Oh look everyone, this gentleman has a contact page:

http://www.garesdesignsandcreations.com/Contact.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EchoLeader @ May 9 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]1241320[/snapback]</div>
Greg, here's more info on this guy at his blog.

Blog
[/b]

Yeah I have his address and phone number now. Trying to decide what to do.

G

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryancd @ May 9 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]1241324[/snapback]</div>
Let us know if we should engage in a e-mail assault.
[/b]

No none of that, although I cannot control what others do ;)

If you google his name, and you can get it off his website blog page, he appears to be a well known modeler with allot of awards.

I want to give him every benefit of the doubt before I do anything rash.

Thanks for having my back B

Greg

I have a feeling you are going to get the ass of this deal. You put in all the hard work, and he takes all the credit. I don't doubt your word in the least, but are his casts the same size as yours? Again, I am sorry to see this happen.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back