Rebels: Ezra's Season 3 lightsaber

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I haven't seen anyone post one of these, so I'm posting up mine that I just finished painting.

Anyone who's seen Season 3 of Rebels will know that Ezra gets a haircut and a new lightsaber. I was lucky enough to be given a 3D printed kit of his new saber by one of my friends for Christmas. The 3D file was created by CaseStudyno8 and is available from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1809989

Reference images for this saber (unlike Ezra's previous saber-blaster) are few and far between. This is the best I could come up with:

FQmnqnY.jpg

From this, I noticed a couple of tweaks that needed made to the 3D model.

I started by modifying the emitter by adding a section of body spray cap which was the PERFECT diameter, cutting off the base of the "nozel" part and cutting a ring from a sheet of styrene:

dGanjea.jpg

The neck part of the saber also did not match the screen cap references, so I made replacements in Sketchup and my friend printed them:

iohJwQG.jpg

I also didn't like the 3D printed connector pins, so those were dremelled out and replaced with copper rivets. And the 3 horizontal vents (?) on the side of the handle opposite the red switch were missing, so I dremelled those in.

I painted it to look weathered (and used paints that are a lot darker than the colours the designer on Thingiverse used - but look more screen-accurate to my eye) and I drilled the hole for the tri-ring in the pommel and made a tri-ring from an old wire coat-hanger.

Done. :)

O7yNh10.jpg

94e6AmJ.jpg

fmEHnge.jpg

vyknvbL.jpg

BfrDJIM.jpg

beautiful job! i love this saber. you did a excellent job "accuratizing" it! i never noticed the vents before! very cool

I could post up the 3D parts that I did for the "grenade" section of the neck, but I do not have modified 3D files for the emitter, or triple-vent section, as those were all done by hand AFTER the Thingiverse 3D files were printed.

Any chance you could post this updated version on thingverse or shape ways?

I could post up the 3D parts that I did for the "grenade" section of the neck, but I do not have modified 3D files for the emitter, or triple-vent section, as those were all done by hand AFTER the Thingiverse 3D files were printed.
Will you mold cast and possibly sell it also is it a hollow hilt?

I think it's pretty dang good too.

I don't think the grenade part is a grenadish like that..but i like that better. The shots look like simple raised areas. I went through the first 8 eps or so frame by frame to pull out the detail shots. That area had very little.

But like I said, i like yours better. Looks pretty good.Untitled.png

Will you mold cast and possibly sell it also is it a hollow hilt?

No, I will not be molding or casting this saber. It is a solid hilt (well, 3D printed honey-comb infill).

I think it's pretty dang good too.

I don't think the grenade part is a grenadish like that..but i like that better. The shots look like simple raised areas. I went through the first 8 eps or so frame by frame to pull out the detail shots. That area had very little.

But like I said, i like yours better. Looks pretty good.View attachment 703347

Yeah, I had a terrible time finding reference images - everything was either blurred, obscurred by Ezra's hand, obscurred by the blade's glow, or too small to make out any details. I could see that the was horizontal AND vertical lines (original 3D file was/is missing any vertical lines) but couldn't get any detail shots to see exactly what was going on, so I did my best to match what I thought I could make out, and leaned it towards Obi Wan's grenade section as that would make sense design-wise. You're right, my version is definitely not totally accurate (as your fantstsic screen=cap shows), but it's better than what it started as, and I kinda like the OT tie-in with a grenade.

I have to rework mine a bit. The area where his hand is covering it in the pic above wasn't shown when i modeled mine. When it's done, i'll make it available on shapeways at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to rework mine a bit. The area where his hand is covering it in the pic above wasn't shown when i modeled mine. When it's done, i'll make it available on shapeways at the very least.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back