Rebel Blockade Runner

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Treadwell, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Man I'd love to build this bastard! Who's in...!?

3. Sampson

Sampson New Member

hello guys! Anyone working on a blockade runner? I am looking for some info on the size of pipe they used. i have a couple of pics where the studio model is just clear pipe joined together. I am hopeing to make one around 4 feet long. As far as scale goes i got a set of drawings off of starship modler they seem to be pritty good. oh one thing that comes to mind, dose anyone have pics of the bottom of the ship? It would be nice to see the underside of it. if anyone has any advice or input please fire away! Thanks! oh one last thing i supose no one would happen to know what kits were bashed on the ship eh? I can't wait to start building mine!

4. TServo4

TServo4 New Member

The tubing looks like some standard PVC, but I could be wrong. I believe the "Grills" on the inside of each come from an old slide carousel. There are ridges around each of the thrusters, quite possibly from a large scale tank model. Each of the thrusters go into a box type deal, and on top of those are motorcycle kits(you can even see the two wheels on each)...try 1/12 scale for that. Looks like there are a few tanks on there also. Don't take my word on it, but the hammerhead looks like two Airfix 1/144 Saturn V cones, a la the escape pod, but they could also be two really big buckets.

5. Sampson

Sampson New Member

Thanks tservo4!
    I'm happy to heer any ideas or sudgestions! I'll have to see if i can find a saturn v rocket to see if it works for the hammer head. AS soon as i have a chance i'll pick one up. I wasn't sure how they made that part. Where were you were talking about the thurusters, i'm trying to pictuer where they are. Were you talking about at the back of the ship on the engines? where they got those two small wheel things beside eachother? i noticed they have the same thing at the front gun turet on the top of the ship, closest to the front.
    there is the same thing theirjust infront of the gun. Is that the thing you were meaning? I just want to make sure i am on the same page as you. So i'm not way out in left field.

6. TServo4

TServo4 New Member

Yeah, on the engines, but if those same parts are on the turrets, they're probably from the same model. The two wheel things are definately from a motorcycle model.

Don't take my word on the Saturn V, but I think that's the closest looking thing to it since it's the same shape and size as the escape pod. However, it does look like that the turrets use Saturn V parts.

I think that if it's not the Saturn V, then it might be some super-bucket of some sort. It even still has those rims around the edges.

A lot of the base is styrene and balsa. Also, I belive that the tubing stuff is acrylic tubing (ie the thrusters, undersides, etc).

7. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

The bulk of the Rebel Blockade Runner is constructed from Cast Acrylic tubing to my knowledge cut to size,some parts machined/turned on a lathe.I dont know of many other things that went into it,aside from the Saturn V parts that stick out.The Cinefex issue(I think its #65) goes into a great deal of it&there are plenty of photos.I dont remember if the engines were constructed from the same material,or if they did use PVC or something else for heat resistence like on the Star Destroyer.The Star Destroyer engines were scratch built&cast from a high heat resistent metal filled Epoxy to withstand the heat from the Halogen&stage Lights.Thats about all that come to mind.

8. Sampson

Sampson New Member

thanks guys! You have been most helpfull! if anything else comes to mind, i'm all ears!

9. Treadwell

10. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I started one but not in studio scale.

[​IMG]

I had excellent drawings of it but lost them in a computer crash. They had green backgrounds. Anyone know the site?

11. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Terryr,

Wow - that looks amazing. Hope you find the drawings.

Anymore pictures?

12. PHArchivist

How big is Runner?

13. terryr

terryr Sr Member

You mean mine? It's about 2.5 feet.
    The one in the movies changed scale movie to movie.

14. PHArchivist

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    terryr wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    You mean mine?
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Yup! Love to see/hear more about it!

15. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

If you look at the side of the engines you'll see a 1/35 panther tank rear engine deck - the same one used so many times on the Falcon. That part you can find for sure and should be able to get a pretty good scaling to the rest of the ship since it shows up on all of the "profile pics" of the ship.

The part I'm talking about is clearly seen on pic 55 on the previously posted pictures (link 6 of 8 )

As you can see its a fairly large section of the engines and should be a good scaling point to determine the total length of the actual studio model.
    Jedi Dade

16. terryr

terryr Sr Member

ILM loved that part. It's on several ships from SW.
    Is tarted mine when photos were scarce and the Internet was for the military.
    It looks good from this angle, but I realized the front of the engines has a big boo boo. Beacause the photo I used was at an angle, I guessed wrong and the squarish section is about 50 percent too short. Of course that is the most detailed piece. So I need to do that all over again.
    I have shown this now and then and people always ask me to build them one, or make a copy. I won't, but someone should get a license. It would sell.

17. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Dude you are nuts!! [​IMG] Very cool!

Where are you buying the acrylic tubes?
    I need some.

Jamie

18. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Whats the front/cockpit made of...is that carved/scupted urethane foam?Looks like it's got stuck-O on it...can't tell...but looks like it's off to a good start.

19. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Hi guys,

Terryr, u still around? Nice work! Was hoping someone would use those drawings for a model. They're from Bob Brown's now-closed website and were drawn by Mike Marincic, based on my old pen-and-ink drawings. You might not find them anywhere else so I'll post them for you.

BTW there seems to have been some confusion over the hammerhead. It's way too big to be made from 1/144 Saturn parts. Trust me, the escape pod body is *also* too big to be 1/144 Saturn parts - the kit rocket parts used on that are the first-stage engines and the Lunar Module shrouds (for the pod's engines). There are upper-stage Saturn engines on the BR guns though, for the nozzles. I think the hammerhead is probably the same paint buckets used for the body of the escape pod.
    Cheers!
    Martyn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Nice drawings! Someone emailed me most of them but I see a few new ones. thanks TR

21. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Anyone finished theirs yet?

22. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have heard that Fine Molds will do a Blockade Runner next. Scale is unknown at this time, but i don't think it will be in 1/72 as the other Fine Molds Kits are :) When it is out it should be easy to rebuilt it in a larger scale. Fine Molds is well known for their accuracy. They bring a new Anakin Fighter too (from E3). Maybe the Blockade Runner is from E3 too, but that is yet not known...

23. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Haven't sets of the "Tantive IV" (supposedly the name of Leia's actual ship) been built for ROTS? That was one of the stories I'd heard, anyway. I'd say a small firm like FM wouldn't be doing something that wasn't from their current hottest property licence.

Very good news, if it's true! [​IMG] Scale-wise, we'd be lucky if it was 1/288 (half of 1/144). That'd be over 20" in length. More likely it would be 1/350 or 1/500 or something like that.

Cheers,
    Martyn

24. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is the source of that news (sorry it is in french, but you should be able to get the context), just scroll down a bit or search for FINE MOLDS: http://www.sicqnus.com/news01.htm

25. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Thanks for that, Spiker! It's apparently 'rumoured' so no confirmation as yet. Very exciting though.

Interesting to note - if this is accurate - that Obi-wan's pseudo-TIE will be kitted by AMT/Ertl (didn't think they were still in the business!) while Anakin's pseudo-TIE by Fine Molds. Different scales I assume. In 1/72, the FM kit would be even smaller than the Ep 2 Jedi fighter. This thing can literally fly between the wings of a real TIE. I hate this miniaturization trend! At least the ARC-170 is nice and big, but the design...um, doesn't excite me much.

Back on-topic re the BR. Does anything think it's remotely possible it would end up being the horrible Extended Universe version of the BR? Bearing in mind that the ship will probably be a CG version, it could either be scanned from the Star Wars model, or built up from scratch. If the latter, there's a lot more INACCURATE drawings and CG around than accurate ones - the LucasFilm games all feature the squashed-up, sections-missing version of the BR for example. That'd be
    bloody tragic, if that happened.
    Cheers,
    Martyn

26. PHArchivist

Surprised no on has built this thing...

27. terryr

terryr Sr Member

28. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

:rolleyes hardly studio scale WHICH IS WHAT this forum is about.

29. PHArchivist

Looks impressive, nonetheless...

30. Treadwell

I've been hearing rumblings that the CG "Tantive IV" in Ep III does not match the ANH model structurally, that it's actually closer to the (until now inaccurate) West End Games plan.

That sucks, if true. They used a real model for the Jedi cruiser in TPM, why not reuse the original Blockade Runner?

If it's a matter of not wanting to repaint it and otherwise clean it up in favor of historical preservation of the model's original look, well, that's never stopped them before (modifying old props, models and matte paintings) and besides, it had already been altered for ROTJ and changed BACK to its ANH look for display. So its "history" was already lost.

So if they finally release a scale model of this ship, it'll probably be the Ep III version.

Crappity.

31. division 6

division 6 Master Member

From what I read a while back, the Ep III version doesn't have all the extra armor plating and weapons on it.
    So it will have a diffirent look then the OT version.

More windows and such.

D6

32. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

That would be in keeping with its prewar status.

The design notes from the Y-wing in the Star Wars Sketchbook stated that the engine once had a cover, but that it was so much trouble taking it on and off for repairs the Rebel greasemonkeys just let them off. It might be cool to see the Y-wing in its original glory, with the art deco lines of the cockpit following down the rest of the body.

33. Treadwell

Yes, but (and I have not confirmed this) the * is that the shape of the CG ship is so different that there's nothing you could do to it to make it look like the ANH one without tearing it apart and rebuilding the framework. So that's more than just plating/windows/guns.

34. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Pity they're going CG with it. :(

I remember talking to a guy I went to HS with, telling me about some of the models they had on display when he took a tour of ILM.
    He said they had a full covered Y-Wing and a Falcon with wheeled landing gear.

Said he also saw unused footage of a Walker standing on it's hind legs to shoot a speeder.

This was back right after Empire came out.

D6

35. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I've seen a picture of the RotS version. It looks like an earlier model, like a tantive III. The 'wings' are straight, and the engines are different.

36. Whiskey

Whiskey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pics of my Studio Scale Blockade Runner :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. terryr

terryr Sr Member

That's big. I think I would quibble on the details of the head, such as the window opening, but overall great work.

38. Whiskey

Whiskey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know.....its not quite done yet. I just got tired of it primered.

39. PHArchivist

The thing that throws me on this is the geometry of the engine block (or block of engines)...

The guys whom have done this model (studio scale or not) -- how have the figured out all the geometry in there?

Are there more plans than out there (that obviously I haven't seen myself) that offer more detail in this area?

Or have these guys figured it out just based on the plans in this thread and good reference pics...?

40. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

41. REL

REL Sr Member

Yes it does, one of my favorite ships.