Rebel Transport, correct dimensions, no for reals. LOL

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a hobby littered with the bodies of model makers who have tried admirably and abandoned so many subject matters, because it's just seemingly insurmountable. I always cheer from the sidelines on those builds, and sometimes magic happens. The Slave 1 that the UK fellas pulled off is probably the best example. Yeah, the dynamics and players along the way could be deeply dramatic (myself included), and a couple fellas to this day super duper hate my ass, lol... but wow the work is just top notch and the builds so far are gorgeous. I have no problem complimenting them and that work. Inspiring. It *can* be done.

I got a small taste of that satisfaction on bringing something challening to life myself with the Ion Cannon. I know deep down it's flawed in some ways, because reference isn't ideal. But it's "pretty pretty good".

So, I say all this because holy smokes - an accurate Rebel Transport is happening. YEARS in the making. Many many talented friends working and bringing their skills and resources and references and occasional ACCESS to the original into the project. I've waited for twenty plus years hoping this could happen. Waiting for technology to catch up a little, to make it happen. You will be able to buy machined engine bells, a cast top shell, side plates, and top gondola ready to go with all plating in place. Use it as a guide if you prefer to go hardcore with vacformed styrene, or use as is and have more time in your life to smell the flowers - your choice! Resin cast containers, lasercut mounting plate, and I believe we can easily have an armature machined as well. EVERYTHING ELSE WILL BE UP TO THE BUILDER... it's your standard ESB kit list of donors, I will get into that later. But it's by no means insurmountable to get them all (many of you have them all already I bet).

I'll post updates here as parts are made available - there won't be a kit release so much as a couple waves of parts to buy to aid you in building it. Timeline is "over the next year" being realistic, but I have done this enough to finally be able to say something publicly, confident it's not back burner any more :)

Machined engine bells will probably be the first thing done, as that is something relatively easy!

Here's some eye candy... many thanks to Hiroshi, Stinson, Craig, Ed, and some others who shall remain behind the shield generator ;)

Main shell in progress:
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 9.02.18 AM.png

Mock up, checking arrangements:
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 9.03.00 AM.png

Container masters being grown in quantity:
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 9.01.05 AM.png

Gondola! Engine hollows will be plugs from the underside:
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 9.01.26 AM.png

And here's something to explain why I am so tired, Myrtle and Baxter, my new assistants/model destroyers:
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 9.02.02 AM.png

Wow...what a project indeed and, after all those years, something the model making fans will be happy to build and show-off:cool::cool:(y)(y)
I'm always a fan of "95% close to the original"! Saying that; I'll follow this thread with interest to say the least;)

Well, this is very welcome news Jason.
I had to laugh, I'm one of those bodies littering the Rebel Transport roads to a shelved build. A box of donor kit parts & a few sheets of info stored away for another day. I recall my dad did a few sets of machined engine bells for a few fellas, from Alan's work I think. You might have got a set too?. I didn't get one myself...yikes!.

Anyhoo, I'll be all in for this super project.
Very happy seeing some of the names involved here in realising this miniature Jason.
I'm already thinking ahead of adding the styrene plating & yayyyyyy, nibbling away happily.

Thanks to all involved in this, one happy chappie here!.

Stu

Always thought the transport was an interesting design. You never get to see it enough, especially the underside. I suppose all the boxes would be like the giant metal shipping crates that are usually on boats here in real life.

IMG_0147.jpeg

Engine bell brackets are underway! These were castings on the original (possibly because the bulbs got hot) and will be castings on my replica. Will be cast along with the containers so y’all can follow along. No one has don’t this correctly until now (and I am sure I’m being copied in real time lol) so this is quite exciting!

IMG_0147.jpeg

Looking great Jason. I need to get re-familiar with the miniature again & restock some of the kit parts I pilfered from the known parts box.

Can I any chance you can do the donor parts as well since you are doing most the model already? I am concerned how much the donor kits would add up to.

Amazing work so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No as it would be way more work, I don’t make kits, but more importantly this all hangs down off of each other. In resin that would be a bit rickety. This way it’s stronger. It’s a very expensive hobby and this one, if you haven’t been buying ESB donors for years like a lot of us, will unfortunately add up quickly. If someone ELSE wants to mold and cast it all? I’ve no problem with that.

The bells are sold out (Mike Reader may offer more in the new year), and I *will* have the following cast up: main shells, cargo containers, engine brackets, a few (very few) odds and ends from cost prohibitive kits.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back