Rebel Alliance Rank Badges UK

ollyhills

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone!

I’ve been looking to track down a Rebel rank badge (like in the photo, although specifically a Luke one with 3 blue buttons), but I’ve had no luck finding any in the UK (the ones I’ve found on Etsy come from afar with frighteningly expensive shipping).

Any leads??

latest?cb=20120215134226.jpg

Only UK one I know if is JJ Industries, but they only do Andor's. So they're wrong colour, wrong style, and wrong movie style (Rogue One badges are slightly different)

It would be cool if they branched out to other badges in the future though.

I saw some nice magnetic ones on Etsy, but can’t seem to find them now, guess they could have sold out. Would they be that hard to make?

Not sure of the dimensions, but could the lens/buttons from switches work as the pips?something like this:

The old school ones were just caps from industrial indicators. RS electronics have several types and styles Indicator Lenses | RS Components I think the rebel ones use the 15mm round style. Then its just a bit of aluminium plate and a suitable glue.
So from looking at the image that would make the back plate around 55mm with slightly rounded corners

I’m seeing the save between the pips seems to be equal to their width.

Here is what I came up with back when ai researched it almost 20 years ago. I posted the info here in 2011.

Last edited:
Here is what I came up with back when ai researched it almost 20 years ago. I posted the info here in 2011.

Thanks that’s really helpful - rs components stock the red EOA lens, they don’t seem to have them in blue, found both here:

Cost of the correct lens explains the price of the replicas I’ve seen, I’ll have a crack at making one.

Last edited:
FYI: When I was doing the research, the EOS lens were what I found that matched my needs and available. I did not mean to imply that he EOS lens were the exact make/model used on the actual prop. If you look around the internet, I believe you can find other manufactures that make these.

Although I believe the actual measurements of the lens is 15mm (I need to go back a recheck my measurements) the actual size of the product is labeled as 16mm.

Also, I found it easier to mount the lens without the defuser inserted (because I filled them with silicone) but the real props had them installed. Just so you know if you want to make yours the same.

I made some Imperial rank badges with the same lenses, except the yellow I got a different model for a true yellow color.

In the spirit of costumers back then, I used what was readily available and looked the part. They most likely went shopping at Radiospares UK or some other electronics supplier for a lot of their set decoration and costume bits. We don't have an exact ID if I remember, so that's why I chose the method I used. I also just cut aluminum plate and used metal files to smooth the corners out.

On some of them there appears to be some rivet or dot in the corners... I couldn't figure out how they attached them so I glued a magnetic ID badge thing to the back :D

On some of them there appears to be some rivet or dot in the corners... I couldn't figure out how they attached them so I glued a magnetic ID badge thing to the back

If you are talking about the backings, they are little holes. I believe these are plate blanks that go on control panels for spots there are no buttons/controls. So the holes are tiny screw holes. I also further believe that the costumers took advantage of these holes to an fixed the rank to the costumes using clear threading.

In the spirit of something like this but without any holes for buttons...

If you are talking about the backings, they are little holes. I believe these are plate blanks that go on control panels for spots there are no buttons/controls. So the holes are tiny screw holes. I also further believe that the costumers took advantage of these holes to an fixed the rank to the costumes using clear threading.

In the spirit of something like this but without any holes for buttons...

That's fascinating! Here I thought they cut up all that aluminum...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back