Re-Boot of Babylon 5

Babylon 5 is my favorite TV series ever. Please DON'T mess with it!
I couldn't agree more.

I've been binging clips of Babylon 5 on Youtube the past few days. So many classic lines. So many beloved characters. Babylon 5 is something that simply can't be remade, not even by JMS himself.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a special effects upgrade on the old B5, but it doesn't need a remake/reboot. Maybe a continuation of some sort (though they tried it before unsuccessfully), but even that needs to be on par with the excellent story and great characters that made B5 what it was.

DVD Babylon 5 The Ultimate Collection 03.jpg

Why reboot??? Tons of sci-fi material out there (books, comics).
Because Joe had problems from the beginning with funding. He plotted out a five-year arc before he ever took pen to paper for full scripts, but as each season became such an ordeal to make happen, it looked like he'd only get four, so he compressed everything into four and made it work. But then Warner gave him the go for a fifth season, on TNT rather than broadcast television, and he got to fill in some of the missing, but it didn't really go with the first four. Plus the falling out between him and Claudia meant finding a new Captain to take Ivanova's place, and that was an off note, too. Add in the failures to grab an audience with Crusade or the other LotR, and, looking back, one can see how it felt very... Picasso, when he'd wanted to do a Rembrandt. It wasn't smooth and flowing. And then there's the whole mess of the widescreen and original film being "lost" so mixed shots can't have their VFX redone, etc., etc.

I can see why he'd want to do a second pass.

But.

I am highly, highly skeptical. I'll probably watch it at least partway through, because I want to give it a chance. But I'll have to treat it as something other than Babylon 5, in my head, because of how much of that prior canon I adore. Production pressure tends to lead to creative magic where unlimited time and resources too often doesn't. Lightning in a bottle. Mira's gone. Andreas is gone. Stephen's gone. Jerry and Jeff and Ricky are gone. I know a lot of people didn't like Sinclair, but I always felt Mike was great at portraying a chill veteran fighter pilot who just happened to have a Minbari soul. And he was a friend and I miss him. I honestly don't know how much of Babylon 5 would have been what it was without those actors bringing what they brought to those roles. Honestly, especially G'kar. Goddamn. In one sense, it does feel like a slap in the face to their work, as well as to the surviving main cast. Since the VFX were only part of it, and it's about the actors and their performances more than anything, a do-over with a new cast feels a lot like saying to them, "Not good enough -- I'm-a try with someone else".

What Joe makes might be good, even amazing. He's matured as a person and a writer, and knows what production pitfalls to look for and try to avoid this time around. It might flow better and be more cohesive and immersive. I have a feeling it might be like Dune, for me. The new one might be amazing and epic and a proper conveying of a complex story... but the Lynch version (especially the unauthorized extended cut, sloppy edits and unfinished VFX and everything) is the one that feels magic to me. We'll just have to wait and see. nuB5 might be technically flawless, refining everything that was rough in the original "rough draft". But I have a feeling he'll have a hard time generating the same magic without those people.

On the CW, so every episode will feature a wind down of who is responsible?

Second, a reboot in a day and age where reboots are checkboxes of crap.

Oh! How I would love this if it embraces the magic and consistency of the original series, but the environment of its creation is toxic.

"There is only one human who has ever survived a battle with a minbari fleet, and he is behind me.

You are infront of me.

Value your lives, and bring me four fried chickens and some plain white toast."

or

"Dead...dead...dead...transitioning...dead...dead..,

"I want to live just long enough for when they cut off your head and put it on a stick...I would look up upon your lifeless eyes and wave, just like this. ***Vir gives Little Rascals high sign***"

Im a very model of a modern major general...

On the CW, so every episode will feature a wind down of who is responsible?

Second, a reboot in a day and age where reboots are checkboxes of crap.

Oh! How I would love this if it embraces the magic and consistency of the original series, but the environment of its creation is toxic.

"There is only one human who has ever survived a battle with a minbari fleet, and he is behind me.

You are infront of me.

Value your lives, and bring me four fried chickens and some plain white toast."

or

"Dead...dead...dead...transitioning...dead...dead..,

"I want to live just long enough for when they cut off your head and put it on a stick...I would look up upon your lifeless eyes and wave, just like this. ***Vir gives Little Rascals high sign***"

Im a very model of a modern major general...

That's kind of my fear too. The fact that it's being done on the CW means it will, by necessity, be aimed at teenagers, not adults. It means that you'll see a bunch of meaningless romances and breakups every episode because that's what CW's audience wants. I'm not even sure you could do justice to B5 in the modern world, given the current political and social climate.

I'll give it a shot but I'm not holding my breath.

That's kind of my fear too. The fact that it's being done on the CW means it will, by necessity, be aimed at teenagers, not adults. It means that you'll see a bunch of meaningless romances and breakups every episode because that's what CW's audience wants. I'm not even sure you could do justice to B5 in the modern world, given the current political and social climate.

I'll give it a shot but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, all of this stuff is soap opera in space.

I will give it a try as well. :)

Joe knows what he is doing, as the article states it is a reboot from the ground up, there will be a different premise for Sheridan and the Station.

Regardless, we will ALWAYS have the Original and NOTHING will change that
That is exactly why I'm not a hard pass. I have faith in Joe. I just wish that if he's going that far, take it the last bit to have it be its own thing, and let Babylon 5 be Babylon 5. He can say before the first episode, in a little specially recorded spot, "I wanted to do right all the things that I didn't or didn't get the chance to on Babylon 5, without stepping on the toes of its legacy. So here's what might've been -- I present 'Alexandria Station'," or some such.

There's just so many problems doing this. They pretty much have to erase the characters of Londo and G'Kar because there aren't any actors alive that could pull them off as well as Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas. It's impossible. They were PERFECT.

I just wonder if they only agreed to do B5 if it was a reboot because that universe is ripe for stories. It's just a shame they went the laziest route possible.

The pisser of it all is... It's twenty years after the series ended. Right now is about when Sheridan would be leaving Minbar to "the end of the beginning", by actors ageing into their characters. Garibaldi and Franklin are on Mars. Vir is emperor on Centauri Prime. Londo and G'kar are dead. Sinclair is a thousand years in the past. The people who have died can be written around very easily.

If Joe and Claudia would just talk, that whole ******** thing that blew up all out of proportion could conceivably be rectified. I just feel... it doesn't necessarily have to be a station, from what little Joe described. It could so easily be a continuation, perhaps with Ivanova in the commander role. Dive into a better-thought-out post-Sheridan setting than the last couple attempts.

The pisser of it all is... It's twenty years after the series ended. Right now is about when Sheridan would be leaving Minbar to "the end of the beginning", by actors ageing into their characters. Garibaldi and Franklin are on Mars. Vir is emperor on Centauri Prime. Londo and G'kar are dead. Sinclair is a thousand years in the past. The people who have died can be written around very easily.

If Joe and Claudia would just talk, that whole ******** thing that blew up all out of proportion could conceivably be rectified. I just feel... it doesn't necessarily have to be a station, from what little Joe described. It could so easily be a continuation, perhaps with Ivanova in the commander role. Dive into a better-thought-out post-Sheridan setting than the last couple attempts.
While a continuation would be great, I loved the book series that dealt with Londo as Emperor, but so many of the main cast has passed on that there would be a whole lot of recasting needed. Some characters, like Dr. Franklin, while a beloved character, never was all that prominent and could easily be replaced. But replacing Andreas Katsulas as G'Kar would be difficult since he had such a good rapport with Peter Jurasik. Then there's replacing Mira Furlan as Delenn.

How about a prequel series, showing the first contacts, the rise of the Psi Corps and ... the Earth-Minbari war?
That could have young versions of the original characters, in different positions of their lives.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back