Love the project and look forward to WIP photos.... I used a vertical slip-ring (rotary joint) in my B-9 build for the torso and it has stood up just fine for all these years. I used a 12 wire version, it takes the power from the battery in the legs and for the two motors for the tracks up to the main body and has not given the old boy any problems....
thanks for stopping by. That B9 of yours is looking really good. Yes, I also looked around for the same type of slipring that you have, unfortunately, because everything needs to revolve around a horizontal rod, I need a hollow version that will fit the support rod (in my case a M10 hollow lamp rod), which I will be using to route the wires into the habitat section from outside.
Problem is that I could not find any with a large enough hollow diameter (and yet fit the inner diameter of the habitat section of B5) and anyway all of the hollow sliprings that I found, did not have enough cables going through the slipring... I think 6 cables was the max.
Which is why I finally decided to construct my own. Of course it will not be anything fancy, but I will print out resin modules on my 3D printer and will slip a slice of copper tubing onto it for the connectivity.
The copper tubing will fit around the smaller round part and the cutout notch is where the power/signal cable will be soldered to the inside of the copper ring. The idea is that they are module and a second part locks in place to the next, meaning I can make as many slipring channels as I have place for inside the model. I have already done a couple test prints, in principle everything works as expected, but the first ones were too bulky and the fit was not as snug as I wanted... but I am on the right path.
In the end it will look and function similar to the slipring below:
And, just so that my thread is not completely filled with theoretical drawings and images stolen from google, here are the last prints of the slipring with the habitat section for scale. I would still like to make it a bit more thinner to take up as little space as possible but you get the idea. The thinner piece is meant to be an endcap on the last ring. If you zoom in, you can see the depression where the rings all mechanically lock into one another. Of course they will be glued, but I did not want to rely on glue alone against any torque.