Ray Gun Show Off Thread!

The “Wolf” ray gun made from a vintage drill. This one has lights and sounds…

BC5079D8-4B1E-4712-9DE0-A90437E669E2.jpeg

B7E727D7-9A47-4315-887B-FB25C193BD12.jpeg

B664748E-FAC0-4550-AA47-AB75A5E75173.jpeg

081E9889-D325-4966-8243-AF053EA56DA9.jpeg

B7F153A5-9F04-4D9B-8696-0AF46EE6D7A5.jpeg

tmax I have the exact same Wolf drill in parts waiting for me to convert it into a ray gun. Unfortunately its in storage at the moment, but once I move house (and get a workshop woohoo!) I will finish the project.

tmax I have the exact same Wolf drill in parts waiting for me to convert it into a ray gun. Unfortunately its in storage at the moment, but once I move house (and get a workshop woohoo!) I will finish the project.
It’s such a cool, retro looking drill. Perfect for ray-gun builds. In fact I kept a second one to do another build which I will keep for myself…

C0DCDADD-625A-44D9-BC0D-4211BF3A7C8C.jpeg

This sort of fits the remit: a Dieselpunk take on a Ghostbusters Proton Pack:
DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

A work in progress, need to take some pictures of the wand, it's since had dial graphics applied, my plan is to have arduino driven lights and sounds, with jumping dial pointers, already have the servos and code, just need to learn how to use an arduino, so far, I can make an LED flash...

Last edited:
This sort of fits the remit: a Dieselpunk take on a Ghostbusters Proton Pack:
View attachment 1494351

View attachment 1494352

A work in progress, need to take some pictures of the wand, it's since had dial graphics applied, my plan is to have arduino driven lights and sounds, with jumping dial pointers, already have the servos and code, just need to learn how to use an arduino, so far, I can make an LED flash...
Amazing! Love it. Any thoughts to paint it? Would look amazing in copper!

Amazing! Love it. Any thoughts to paint it? Would look amazing in copper!
Thank you! I'm toying with doing the main body a hammered metallic green, like old machine tools, with black for the plate with the components on, and the components a Bakelite style finish, a darker version of what I did on my art deco ray rifle, maybe before I start on the electronics, at least then it'll look finished!
Very good work, as ever! I've got a box of old drills, somewhere, a raygun in this style is on my to do list, and, funnily enough, the handle on the neutron wand on my pack is a 1920s Black and Decker drill that belonged to my boss's grandad, it was being thrown out, and, well, then it wasn't...
1631618060631.png

Last edited:

Here's what I don't understand about many of these retro drills as I work on a ray gun of my own... Why the stubby handles that only two fingers can grasp? The rest is grabbing the cord. So when I find these drills, the cords are often frayed at the handle. What's the practical advantage?

Here's what I don't understand about many of these retro drills as I work on a ray gun of my own... Why the stubby handles that only two fingers can grasp? The rest is grabbing the cord. So when I find these drills, the cords are often frayed at the handle. What's the practical advantage?
It's so the handle doesn't print when carrying concealed in waistband.

Seriously though, good point, it's not very ergonomic. Ergonomics in general have improved a lot through the years, but this seems like pretty basic functionality.

If you look at the swell of the handle, I think you are suppose to use your middle finger to pull the trigger. This is so you can exert more pressure by having they thumb and first finger higher up the body of the drill.

David.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back