Ray Gun Show Off Thread!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

BrundelFly

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ray gun2.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Unfortunately I don't remember any details about the guy - I don't know that I even knew his real name. What I do have a record of though is the name "Doctor Stears" and some photos of several other pieces that he created - he even sent along a mini CD with those photos.

So was that a one-off, or did he do a run of them?

Great pieces BrundelFly (y)

mugatu

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love all the rayguns everyone. This is probably a dumb question but as several of these are partly found parts, do these weigh a ton?

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love all the rayguns everyone. This is probably a dumb question but as several of these are partly found parts, do these weigh a ton?

Some do. The metal ones especially. Weta's Dr.Grordborts metal guns are super heavy!

@builders: most of them are made from hair dryers and drilling machines, right?

Hair dryers, drills, engine timing guns, toys and scratch-built machines parts. The possibilities are pretty much endless. (y)

Uridium

Here's one I finished a couple weeks ago with lights and sounds...

View attachment 1295368

Hi tmax , really enjoying looking at your (and the others here) builds. Have a quick question, can you share a brief description of how you got the lighting working on this build.

You have inspired me to you build my own Ray-Gun from an old drill and I wanted to add some lighting.

Cheers!!!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
Rayguns, eh? Well, my first one from many years ago, was the Trubshaw, made from EMA/Plastruct domes and offcuts, went 'BRRRZAP!' and lit up:

Gunside.jpg

Then came the Steam Pistol, a projectile weapon, using sulphuric acid and water as propellant, firing either round or cube bullets, like the Puckle Gun:

P9201271.jpg

Two magazines, pump to prime, and an antique cutlery canteen for a box:

P9201274.jpg

The pistol itself is made from acrylic wine and champagne glasses, brass, hardwood, and bits from the bits box.

First rifle, the Thunderbuss, a sonic fowling piece:

Thunderbuss1.jpg

Mainly Plastruct tube (a local model shop had a going out of business sale), built on a rook rifle stock, more brass, bits of plastic vase, and this one lights up, and is waiting for the guts of a Minion fart gun to be added.

Thunderbuss2.jpg

Then I got asked by a famous author of far-fetched-fiction to make his wife a raygun, she, being known as Lady Raygun, got a raygun called the "Lady Raygun Lady's Raygun":

FinishedRaygun.jpg

The brief was "A feminine looking pistol with a nice box", which wasn't a double entendre (I think):

P8220913.jpg

Made from acrylic baubles, acrylic vase parts, acrylic sheet and an acrylic glass:

P7120901.jpg

I was subsequently asked to build a pistol for the aforementioned author, which became the COMMODORE:

TheCOMMODORE9.jpg

More acrylic baubles, and a working plasma ball, again, with an antique box, and accessories:

P9041250.jpg

Turned wooden handle, made to look like a belaying pin, in keeping with the nautical theme:

P9041262.jpg

Another commission, based on the Lady Raygun, for a gentleman in the us, as a Christmas gift from his wife:

P1081615.jpg

Actually have some better in progress shots for this one:

Untitled-2.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

My other rifle, inspired by WETA's Pomson 3000:

DSC_0005_zpsbf6614f4.jpg

The stock has a faux Bakelite finish, or "Fakelite", as I like to call it. ;)

DSC_0008_zpsef4152f2.jpg

This one is mainly stainless steel kitchenware, and came about because of a piece of 25mm MDF in the bin at work, which became the stock:

WP_20140728_001_zpsde12dd37.jpg

Most recently, I've been working on this:

DSC_0413.jpg

...which may or may not be the thrower from a 1930s Dieselpunk take on the Ghostbusters Proton Pack:

DSC_0409.jpg

Well, that's all I can think of for now...

Attachments

• TheCOMMODORE9.jpg
    TheCOMMODORE9.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.