Ray Gun Show Off Thread!

Ray gun2.jpg

Unfortunately I don't remember any details about the guy - I don't know that I even knew his real name. What I do have a record of though is the name "Doctor Stears" and some photos of several other pieces that he created - he even sent along a mini CD with those photos.

So was that a one-off, or did he do a run of them?

Great pieces BrundelFly (y)

I love all the rayguns everyone. This is probably a dumb question but as several of these are partly found parts, do these weigh a ton?

I love all the rayguns everyone. This is probably a dumb question but as several of these are partly found parts, do these weigh a ton?

Some do. The metal ones especially. Weta's Dr.Grordborts metal guns are super heavy!

@builders: most of them are made from hair dryers and drilling machines, right?

Hair dryers, drills, engine timing guns, toys and scratch-built machines parts. The possibilities are pretty much endless. (y)

Here's one I finished a couple weeks ago with lights and sounds...

View attachment 1295368

Hi tmax , really enjoying looking at your (and the others here) builds. Have a quick question, can you share a brief description of how you got the lighting working on this build.

You have inspired me to you build my own Ray-Gun from an old drill and I wanted to add some lighting.

Cheers!!!

Rayguns, eh? Well, my first one from many years ago, was the Trubshaw, made from EMA/Plastruct domes and offcuts, went 'BRRRZAP!' and lit up:

Gunside.jpg

Then came the Steam Pistol, a projectile weapon, using sulphuric acid and water as propellant, firing either round or cube bullets, like the Puckle Gun:

P9201271.jpg

Two magazines, pump to prime, and an antique cutlery canteen for a box:

P9201274.jpg

The pistol itself is made from acrylic wine and champagne glasses, brass, hardwood, and bits from the bits box.

First rifle, the Thunderbuss, a sonic fowling piece:

Thunderbuss1.jpg

Mainly Plastruct tube (a local model shop had a going out of business sale), built on a rook rifle stock, more brass, bits of plastic vase, and this one lights up, and is waiting for the guts of a Minion fart gun to be added.

Thunderbuss2.jpg

Then I got asked by a famous author of far-fetched-fiction to make his wife a raygun, she, being known as Lady Raygun, got a raygun called the "Lady Raygun Lady's Raygun":

FinishedRaygun.jpg

The brief was "A feminine looking pistol with a nice box", which wasn't a double entendre (I think):

P8220913.jpg

Made from acrylic baubles, acrylic vase parts, acrylic sheet and an acrylic glass:

P7120901.jpg

I was subsequently asked to build a pistol for the aforementioned author, which became the COMMODORE:

TheCOMMODORE9.jpg

More acrylic baubles, and a working plasma ball, again, with an antique box, and accessories:

P9041250.jpg

Turned wooden handle, made to look like a belaying pin, in keeping with the nautical theme:

P9041262.jpg

Another commission, based on the Lady Raygun, for a gentleman in the us, as a Christmas gift from his wife:

P1081615.jpg

Actually have some better in progress shots for this one:

Untitled-2.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

My other rifle, inspired by WETA's Pomson 3000:

DSC_0005_zpsbf6614f4.jpg

The stock has a faux Bakelite finish, or "Fakelite", as I like to call it. ;)

DSC_0008_zpsef4152f2.jpg

This one is mainly stainless steel kitchenware, and came about because of a piece of 25mm MDF in the bin at work, which became the stock:

WP_20140728_001_zpsde12dd37.jpg

Most recently, I've been working on this:

DSC_0413.jpg

...which may or may not be the thrower from a 1930s Dieselpunk take on the Ghostbusters Proton Pack:

DSC_0409.jpg

Well, that's all I can think of for now...

Attachments

• TheCOMMODORE9.jpg
    TheCOMMODORE9.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back