Ranch Saber Provenance

When you added the small screws to the top of the grips, did you have any trouble drilling into the plastic grips? I’m going to add these to mine soon and just concerned that the grip might crack or split when I drill the tiny hole for them.
Thankfully the plastic is very pliable, its more liable to bend before it cracks. It drills like butter! Which also means... its quick.

What I did was glue the grips down first, so your holes all line up. I drilled for the threaded stem of the screw all the way through... and then found a drill bit as wide as the head of the screw. I then touched the grips with the drill press just enough to leave a 1mm deep hole, whatever the thickness of the EDGE of your screwhead is. Then it will sit proud!

This is the upper screws. The lower ones are easy, just run right through with a bit the size of the shaft of the screw, and twist in your screws

Last edited:
Thankfully the plastic is very pliable, its more liable to bend before it cracks. It drills like butter! Which also means... its quick.

What I did was glue the grips down first, so your holes all line up. I drilled for the threaded stem of the screw all the way through... and then found a drill bit as wide as the head of the screw. I then touched the grips with the drill press just enough to leave a 1mm deep hole, whatever the thickness of the EDGE of your screwhead is. Then it will sit proud!

This is the upper screws. The lower ones are easy, just run right through with a bit the side of the shaft of the screw, and twist in your screws

Perfect thank you. I don’t plan to drill into the flash bottom so I’ll grind down the screws.

Is the consensus still that the screws should be painted black? Or should they be chemical aged instead?

Perfect thank you. I don’t plan to drill into the flash bottom so I’ll grind down the screws.

Is the consensus still that the screws should be painted black? Or should they be chemical aged instead?
you're very welcome!

haha well.... they (the screws) were black at some point, and as filming went on seemed to show up silver instead. Most likely this is paint wearing off.

Yeah, I guess it's personal preference. I chemically darkened mine, with aluminum black (which sometimes works on a surprising amount of other metals) - not quite black, but not bright, shiny silver either:

CIMG3851.JPG

Yeah, I guess it's personal preference. I chemically darkened mine, with aluminum black (which sometimes works on a surprising amount of other metals) - not quite black, but not bright, shiny silver either:

View attachment 1763717
Wow, what a beautiful job on installing those.... way cleaner than the actual prop :D

especially your trimming of the T track itself. The stuff can warp, scratch and shred easily. Very tight job... what tools did you use to get such clean lines?!

Last edited:
unfortunately (you may see this occur throughout the forums) there is data that is protected legally or via other contractual means that cannot be dispersed or there is an agreement for eyes-only or something like that. It's just the way the community is and I promise noone that I know is being a jerk over it. There are real repercussions, friendships and promises that we have to keep.

on the upside, many times people will be able to share their replica builds instead of the data, this was done with Boba Fett's sidearm recently and I felt so thankful to learn new things that I wouldn't have otherwise. This was what I tried to do here, with the grip screws.

My opinion on the topic of what is deemed to be “secret information”, for what it’s worth…

I have to confess, it’s always been something of a buzz-kill for me and I lose interest in a discussion once members start referencing access to secret photos and other information that fellow members are hoarding and allowing only a select and privileged few to peak at, provided that they pass some sort of test to enter the inner sanctum and view The Holiest of Holies.

Despite the list of reasons to withhold this information (there are legitimate reasons, as covered in the post I have quoted above from THD9791, while there are other reasons that frankly don’t seem to be legitimate; I won’t list examples here) it kills my enthusiasm to participate in the discussion.

When I start reading “I can’t show it to you, but so-and-so allowed me to view their secret chache of photos and believe me when I tell you…” my enthusiasm to offer my participation and opinion is somewhat extinguished on the topic and I become a passive “reader”.

In the end, it serves only to create clique divisions within the community of those deemed to be “in” vs. those determined to be “out” and I am always disappointed when I see it.

Anyway, there it is…

Last edited:
My opinion on the topic of what is deemed to be “secret information”, for what it’s worth…

I have to confess, it’s always been something of a turn-off for me and I lose interest in a discussion once members start referencing access to secret photos and other information that fellow members are hoarding and allowing only a select and privileged few to peak at, provided that they pass some sort of test to enter the inner sanctum and view The Holy of Holies.

Despite the list of reasons to withhold this information (some reasons are legitimate, as covered in the post I have quoted above from THD9791, and some frankly don’t seem to be legitimate; I won’t list examples here) it kills my enthusiasm to participate in the discussion.

When I start reading “I can’t show it to you, but so-and-so allowed me to view their secret chache of photos and believe me when I tell you…” my enthusiasm to offer my participation and opinion is somewhat extinguished on the topic and I become a passive “reader”.

In the end, it serves only to create clique divisions within the community of those deemed to be “in” vs. those determined to be “out” and I am always disappointed when I see it.

Anyway, there it is…
This is one reason (along with lack of time, Star Wars breaking my heart, and provenance being disagreed upon) that the guide has fallen by the wayside for me. I've been on both sides of this. I'm very grateful to several people who have shared stuff with me, and I love being "in the know" but it did put me in the position of having to write more than once "you have to trust me on this" in the guide, and in doing so, made myself a gate-keeper.

As somebody who works in the industry and knows how production works, I respect and understand the situations when things have to stay behind a wall, I just don't like being the face of it, which the guide was starting to cause to happen. The amount of messages I got with people just wanting to argue with me (mostly from FB groups) was already annoying, add in people accusing me of being a withholding jerk intentionally, and I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

This is one reason (along with lack of time, Star Wars breaking my heart, and provenance being disagreed upon) that the guide has fallen by the wayside for me. I've been on both sides of this. I'm very grateful to several people who have shared stuff with me, and I love being "in the know" but it did put me in the position of having to write more than once "you have to trust me on this" in the guide, and in doing so, made myself a gate-keeper.

As somebody who works in the industry and knows how production works, I respect and understand the situations when things have to stay behind a wall, I just don't like being the face of it, which the guide was starting to cause to happen. The amount of messages I got with people just wanting to argue with me (mostly from FB groups) was already annoying, add in people accusing me of being a withholding jerk intentionally, and I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Great points, Seth (y)

Look, I’m sorry. I’m not the one making these decisions. I was just trying to go out of my way to creatively help other makers, to share more info than normally would be available.

If people are this upset over not being on the first phone call then I just won’t bother, I thought the extra info would be appreciated, It’s how I feel when I’m on the other side of this.

I have to confess, it’s always been something of a turn-off for me and I lose interest in a discussion once members start referencing access to secret photos and other information that fellow members are hoarding and allowing only a select and privileged few to peak at, provided that they pass some sort of test to enter the inner sanctum and view The Holy of Holies.

Despite the list of reasons to withhold this information (some reasons are legitimate, as covered in the post I have quoted above from THD9791, and some frankly don’t seem to be legitimate; I won’t list examples here) it kills my enthusiasm to participate in the discussion.

Anyway, there it is…

This just makes me think of all The Experts who lorded it over the STAR TREK fandom for years, particularly before the show came out in HD, and screencaps were a lot easier for everyone to study.

Don't let a few bad apples ruin the batch. You did a phenomenal job on the book, and we all greatly appreciate it.

Look, I’m sorry. I’m not the one making these decisions. I was just trying to go out of my way to creatively help other makers, to share more info than normally would be available.

If people are this upset over not being on the first phone call then I just won’t bother, I thought the extra info would be appreciated, It’s how I feel when I’m on the other side of this.

My friend, I believe my post may have been misunderstood. I quoted your prior post as a reference to legitimate reasons for information to be kept in confidence.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back