Ralph McQuarrie Snowtrooper commander helmet[3D-modelling and print]

Kiwimaddog

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've wanted to do a RmcQ-concept for quite some time and though the Vader concepts are awesome they've also been done multiple times. So, after looking through the McQuarrie concept book I found the Snowtrooper commander samurai inspired helmet and decided to give it a go.
Book_page.JPEG

I've not put in too many hours into it yet but it will have to make to as a beginning of the thread.
The main issue so far has been where to put the split for the face-part of the helmet so to make it possible to put on but still not be visible. I decided on a split-line that I think might work and now I need to incorporate some kind of latch/clipon-system. But that's a later question though. I also decided on not going for flat lenses but instead give them some shape and make them as vacuum formed pieces.
It's almost time to start splitting up the helmet for testprinting, need to add some more details and do some tweaking here and there first.
Status as I write now:

Last edited:
I have some minor modifications to do but after that it's off to the printer for a first testprint for the facemask. I usually try to split up the parts to avoid supports where I can to keep the printing times down as much as possible. i also don't have a 'big' printer, bed-size of 280 x 200 so that sets my limits when splitting it up.
First_testprint_PREP_A.JPG

First_testprint_PREP_B.JPG

Testprints have begun, I almost have one complete set of variant A done. Pictures will come later. When I'd printed most parts for the helmet and got to see it in full scale I realized it's pretty f-ing big. Like, It's even bigger than the cowl part of an approximate Vader helmet. That said, I think that might be Ralphs intention when considering the sketch for the full costume
Full costume.JPG
Which seems to be quite an imposing figure. Anyway, with that realization I decided to also model the slightly smaller helmet which I call variant B here underneath. The cowl on that one has a slightly more'snug' fit. Anyway, As always the first testprint will surely reveal a number of issues that I need to fix for the next iteration, It always does :)
I'll be back with photos of the physical models when I've something interesting to show.

McQuarrie_snowtrooper_command_Variant_a.JPG

Variant A[Big helmet]
McQuarrie_snowtrooper_command_Variant_b.JPG

Variant B[Small helmet]

I've made several modifications to the model and also started sanding away the layer lines. Tedious work that really does not deserve any photos so I'll instead show the mold and (future) buck for vacuum forming the lenses.
IMG_2120.JPEG

Prepared and sanded 3D-print as basis for the buck

IMG_2125.JPEG

First step for making a mold , adding some draft angles to the sides and sealing the walls. (I of course should have incorporated the draft in the print directly but as my method is trial and error this is just a prime example for the latter.

IMG_2127.JPEG

Clay added, in this case sulfur-free chavant as to not intervene with the curing of the silicone I'm using.

IMG_2128.JPEG

Outer walls in place and corners sealed. After this I poured water in the to measure the exact amount of silicone needed and to secure it was sealed properly. After that I left it overnight to dry out.

IMG_2131.JPEG

The silicone is poured into the mold.

IMG_2132.JPEG

The mold separated and came out perfect(which is lucky since I don't have any more silicone at home and furthermore, it's expensive as crap so...Good for me :)

IMG_2142.JPEG

First pull from the mold, this one is just a test with basic cheap plaster. It cracked a little so I'm going to do another one with better grade synthetic plaster(Jesmonite).

After that it's of to be vacuum formed and tested in the main build.

Why the molding and casting...just for the draft angles? If it weren't for that, could you have used the cleaned-up 3D print as the vacform buck directly?

Why the molding and casting...just for the draft angles? If it weren't for that, could you have used the cleaned-up 3D print as the vacform buck directly?
Yes, I can understand why that might seem doable. That though would in all likelyhood only survive for maybe one pull and I'm looking for something a bit more robust.

So, Update:
I used a low tech solution for forming the lenses, which i might say worked surprisingly good. It's just a welded frame that hold the PETG-sheet while it's being heated in the kitchen oven and a base with a mesh in the bottom connected to our vacuum cleaner.
IMG_2190.JPEG

IMG_2189.JPEG

IMG_2191.JPEG

IMG_2315.JPEG

And here it is after being pre-fitted roughly to the helmet. Btw, this was not my first successful pull, I think I did 4-5 sheets before I reached one with sufficient quality.
528ABB6D-7794-4E51-8987-6027BAEE385D.jpg

IMG_2205.JPEG

Now that that's done, Let's get back to the neverending fixing with putty and sanding-routine......

Minor update-time.
First a little explanation for the slow updates, her name is Iris :)
IMG_2282.JPEG

In the moments where I do find some time to work on my bulds I've managed to tint and paint the visor and some of the yet to be assembled parts:
IMG_2368.JPEG

Visor masked and primed with a few thin coats of primer.

IMG_2371.JPEG

Just me mixing the enamel paint into the correct viscosity, I suppose

IMG_2373.JPEG

Finished tinted visor with accent brow

IMG_2369.JPEG

Some painted loose parts

IMG_2374.JPEG

Primed and awaiting paint. the helmet is waay bigger than my paint booth so I'm right now a bit up on the fence how to tackle the final paint job. I've though decided to go for Archive-X white acrylics paint.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back