Raimi's "The Possession" - Dybbuk Box

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I'm liking the look of this prop, plus it's such a key element of the film, and has a cool use (it was built to imprison an evil spirit). Anyone have any info on who made the box for the movie or any good pics or schematics?

possession_05_72dpi.jpg

The Possession - Official Trailer (2012) [HD] - YouTube

Last edited:
Seems like a cute little box. Could fit a Necromicon in there :)
Found a picture of the box on the movie homepage:
dibbukbox2.jpg

I played with the balance in Photoshop to show more
dibbukbox.jpg

Well it seems the text is based on the Hebrew Alphabet:

hebrewc.gif

I make the side of the box to say (remembering that Hebrew had no vowels):

Tav Vav Alef He (T V H)
Alef Tav Hei (T H)
Hei Vav Shin Ayin (H V Sh/S)
Shin Lamed (Sh/S L)
Hei Ayin Vav Vav Shin (H V V Sh/S)

Anyone got any better ideas? :facepalm:lol

That's interesting. According to the news on the 'net, the prop warehouse for the film (which was holding the box) burnt down shortly after filming (the curse!). I thought that the box might have gone up in smoke. Guess there IS quite a lot of props still in existence.

That's interesting. According to the news on the 'net, the prop warehouse for the film (which was holding the box) burnt down shortly after filming (the curse!). I thought that the box might have gone up in smoke. Guess there IS quite a lot of props still in existence.

And the The blair witch project" was made from real found student films....:lol

just Viral marketing..

In the movie, the box is described as being 'seamless' before it's opened. Doesn't look it in the picture above. It also seemed that one of the little brass pieces acted as a lever or release to open it. The elements inside will be fun to replicate too - mostly simple but eclectic!

I saw this movie yesterday night. And I was quite intrigued with the design of the box. Im starting to think that ancient evil boxes are my thing.. anyway, I have an interest in taking this up in the future, after a few projects I'm working on are finished..

I just returned from seeing this movie. I am a professor of religious studies specializing in the history of Jewish mysticism. The Hebrew on the box is likely a mirror image of regular Hebrew. If read R-to-L the words mean nothing, and constitute gibberish. If read L-to-R, one character at a time, you do get translatable Hebrew: "See you the evil of the punishment". On the ends of the box is the single word which again is mirror image of normal Hebrew, an incorrect Hebrew spelling of the word "Dybbuk" (if one were to spell "dibbuk" backwards there would not be 2 letter vav's). All in all, a very unsatisfying and implausible and technically incorrect artifact. This mistaken mirror image Hebrew has become a regular feature of Hollywood Hebrew propos - for example there was a tombstone in "Weeds" this season whose engraved Hebrew lettering was in mirror image gobbledygook. Why movie makers won't go to the trouble of doing things correct is beyond me.

Could the image(s) have been reversed by someone who didn't know any better? Or if it was stenciled and etched, whoever did the stencils got them reversed?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back