R3-T2 Custom Astromech Figure

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With the release of the new Wedge X-Wing helmet, I realized that Hasbro never released a R3-T2 figure. In fact, I attempted to build the figure from parts at the Star Trader years ago, but the best I could come up with was an R2 body and a white dome with yellow details.

After some trial and error with different cleaners, I discovered that paint thinner was the best at removing the yellow paint from the dome.
I sprayed the dome flat white and covered the panels with painters tape and a little car, detailing tape left over from my full size R5 dome:

IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2591.JPG

I used some candy apple red paint left over from my R5 dome to paint the dome.

IMG_2595.JPG

After a week of dry time, I removed the tape:

IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2597.JPG

To paint the aluminum ring on the bottom, I applied some auto detailing tape near the bottom:

IMG_2598.JPG

I used a very small X-Acto knife to remove the excess red paint and then used some Testors paints with a small brush to add the details:

IMG_2599.JPG

I'm not a big fan of yellow for the PSI on the back of the dome, but I came across some neon yellow paint and decided to use it. For the logic box, I used tiny dabs of green paint since those lights are just a series of green and red:

IMG_2600.JPG

Wedge with his R3-T2 Astromech:

IMG_2601.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back