R2D2 on a budget *New Photos Up

fotokid

I've been commissioned by my University to construct an R2D2 for the Star Wars themed halloween party. I've begun collecting parts from hardware stores but I'm stuck on the dome. I've thought about using trash can lids and ceiling security domes but both are either impossible to find in the right size or very expensive. Anyone know of a good plastic dome that would work? Diameter would need to be around 15-17"

Last edited:
Re: R2D2 on a budget

You could use a hard plastic ball and cut it in half. Usually toy stores like Toys R Us or even Walmart or Kmart have just a big bin of different size balls. If they don't have it try a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby they usually have giant Styrofoam balls you could sand down and smooth it out with bondo over it.

Stainless steel mixing bowl?

689409000783.jpg

what about making a dome (out of expanding foam, for example) and vacforming it (if you have access to something like that)? then you can make it as exact as you need it

what about making a dome (out of expanding foam, for example) and vacforming it (if you have access to something like that)? then you can make it as exact as you need it

I'd love to have access to something like that but time/money constraints are high, need to find something pre-made.

mine was made out of a 18" squirel blocking bird feeder dome thingy ??...it was years ago...but I only paid 25 bucks for it ...dont know if they make them anymore....I made this guy years ago mostly out of foam/wood, and plastic posterboard for the skin...(never did finish legs :sick )

8475-r2.jpg

Some great ideas here. I guess that the dome you choose will define all the other dimensions, so you need to decide on it before you can do pretty much anything else?

One day I must make an Artoo.

mine was made out of a 18" squirel blocking bird feeder dome thingy ??...it was years ago...but I only paid 25 bucks for it ...dont know if they make them anymore....I made this guy years ago mostly out of foam/wood, and plastic posterboard for the skin...(never did finish legs :sick )

8475-r2.jpg

That looks incredible, congratulations.:cool
What did you use for the blue metal parts?

Be cautious of the bird feeder domes. The company that makes them has changed the design, and they're not a full dome anymore... but many places that sell them still use the old photo.

Locate an inflatable exercise ball or kids toy ball, inflate to proper size... Layup a shell of paper mache over half the ball, let cure... Deflate and remove the ball, and you will be left with a paper mache dome...

For fast setting paper mache use watered down plaster of paris...

Locate an inflatable exercise ball or kids toy ball, inflate to proper size... Layup a shell of paper mache over half the ball, let cure... Deflate and remove the ball, and you will be left with a paper mache dome...

For fast setting paper mache use watered down plaster of paris...

I always thought I would do this someday to make a mold for a base dome.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back