R2D2 on a budget *New Photos Up

Re: R2D2 on a budget *He's standing!*

Just your typical matte board for framing photos (about $6 for a large sheet) and foam core poster board. Only plastic I've used so far is the dome and eventually the chest parts will be a mix of styrene and matte board. Thanks for the comment!

And thanks for the info, exactly what I thought it was just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, can defiantly see the R2 coming on in that. Always wanted to make one of these but never knew where to start with it. This is a great help.

I was just thinking a Lego R2 as well, TBH, i think it may actually look cooler that way, great project though bud, and super fast turnaround!

lee

I understand it looks simple now but much more work to be done. Not really into the idea of a lego R2, kind boring.

WOW! I'm impressed. If you can do this that quickly with the materials you used I can't imagine what you could do with more time and a higher budget. Good job!!

WOW! I'm impressed. If you can do this that quickly with the materials you used I can't imagine what you could do with more time and a higher budget. Good job!!

I hope to explore that one day! Job + school isn't leaving much free time or money

I agree would love to see your skills with more time and a higher budget :D awesome job!!

Buckett made a great suggestion via PM, I'm going to paint the blue stripe on R2's dome on the top of his body to extend the size of the dome. Keep those suggestions coming! Also, here's how I made accurate size and positioned panels for the chest:

I went to kinkos with a vector image of R2's chest (got it on astromech) and got a large format xerox scaled to the size of my R2. After that I cut out the shapes and used them as patterns to cut the plastic/matte board. I then took the stencil left of over to trace the positioning of each panel.

Man, I really need to get the wife to let me do this. I've wanted an R2 forever! Good job, man!

Here's where Artoo will stand for the party.. I wish I had more time but some details just didn't make the cut. When I get him back I'll keep working to finish him off as a display piece. I will post photos in a few days showing it projecting at the party.

Last edited:

That is awesome... ever thought of selling those, sure theres a huge wanting for something like this in the junkyard!!

that looks great...the dome looks much better....the good thing is u skipped some details instead of rushing them, that way u can go back and add to it when your not so rushed..

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back