R2D2 on a budget *New Photos Up

Re: R2D2 on a budget

mine was made out of a 18" squirel blocking bird feeder dome thingy ??...it was years ago...but I only paid 25 bucks for it ...dont know if they make them anymore....I made this guy years ago mostly out of foam/wood, and plastic posterboard for the skin...(never did finish legs :sick )

8475-r2.jpg

that's pretty nice scratch built R2. how long did it take to make?

Re: R2D2 on a budget *He's standing!*

I am sensing that this will become a "Best" when factoring speed with artistry.

Seeing what you have accomplished in this amount of time, I firmly believe that if you gave yourself more time, you'd have one of the best R2s out there. As is, I think it will be fantastic!

Brilliant work..

Warmest congratulations, I'll watch your progress with great interest

Highest regards

MARK

Thank you all for the great comments! This build is rapidly teaching me all sorts of new things! Can't wait for the finished piece:love

Last edited:

I've been asked to share some more info are parts/process so here's a bit more insight.

I based all measurements and scale off what I considered to be the most important part, the dome. Using the forums at Astromech I learned the true dimensions (about 17.5" diameter and 300mm tall) and tried to find the closest thing.

Droll Yankees Inc Clear 15 INCH SQ-PM Squirrel Guard Pole - Geekbro.com

I chose this squirrel blocking dome because it is rigid and very close to the overall shape. The diameter is 15" so everything had to be scaled down accordingly.

After a trip to the hardware store, I purchased MDF, a 2X4, a dowel rod, paint, and a few greeblies for about $50. The body was built by tracing the dome on MDF and making a top and bottom and then adding the 2X4 with holes drilled for the dowel rod.

Now the weird part! To get the scale of the legs/feet I collected about a million images from Astromech (great resource) and was able to increase the image sizes in photoshop to match the original dimensions in height and width, then scaled them down to match my dome. After that I projected a profile view (scaled) on the MDF and made proper marks. When I cut the legs, I sandwiched a 1/4" plank to bulk up the legs.

As said before, I work mostly by feel after my measurements and cuts have been made so if anything didn't match up exactly, I made adjustments by eye to make it work.

The next step is to cover the body with either a thicker PVA/PVC sheet of plastic or other material and then start paneling the legs. I have also ordered styrene plastic sheets for the chest and dome details here:

White Sheet Styrene .010'' (8) (pls91101) Plastruct Model Scratch Building Plastic Sheets Rods Tubes Strips

Let me know if you have any more questions on the process!

Putting electronics for lights and motors perhaps?

Hoping I have time for lights but no motors, just a static Artoo. I will also be adding a small projector in his eye piece as a part of the display it will be used for.

Small update for the night, all limbs properly attached along with the frame for the under skirt.

Re: R2D2 on a budget

mine was made out of a 18" squirel blocking bird feeder dome thingy ??...it was years ago...but I only paid 25 bucks for it ...dont know if they make them anymore....I made this guy years ago mostly out of foam/wood, and plastic posterboard for the skin...(never did finish legs :sick )

8475-r2.jpg

I am speechless... Foam and posterboard? WOW!!

Go Artoo GOOOOOOO

Used Matte board, poster board, and paint. (thanks for the idea Buckett)

Wow, he looks fantastic! I would have never thought to use poster board and matte board, but it looks like it's going to turn out fantastic! What do you plan on making his blue trim out of?

Wow, he looks fantastic! I would have never thought to use poster board and matte board, but it looks like it's going to turn out fantastic! What do you plan on making his blue trim out of?

I have matte board, poster board, and styrene plastic sooo some combination of the three

5 Days in, Looooooooooooong ways to go to but lovin where I'm at!

Last edited:

Wow fast. :thumbsup Looks awesome so far just gets better and better, Great progress shots.
When you say poster board an matte board is this the same as foam core and just reg cardboard poster board or are you using some kind of plastic poster board? I searched for plastic poster board and came up empty, maybe named something else in Canada.

Wow fast. :thumbsup Looks awesome so far just gets better and better, Great progress shots.
When you say poster board an matte board is this the same as foam core and just reg cardboard poster board or are you using some kind of plastic poster board? I searched for plastic poster board and came up empty, maybe named something else in Canada.

Just your typical matte board for framing photos (about $6 for a large sheet) and foam core poster board. Only plastic I've used so far is the dome and eventually the chest parts will be a mix of styrene and matte board. Thanks for the comment!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back