R2-D2 WIP - Studio 49

With my dome nearing completion, I wanted a safe and secure way to transport it in the car and around events. So, I set about creating a transport case.

This led me to Bunnings (our Hardware store chain here in Australia) where I found a Rhino branded cargo case that was almost the perfect size for the dome. A little pricey but with all the time, funds and effort that have gone into the dome I felt it was well worth it. It's super heavy duty, has rubber seals and can be locked closed.

I made a number of modifications to the box to make sure it worked perfectly for R2. I've listed them below for any that might be interested :)

Foam Exercise Mats
I then layered some foam exercise mats together that had a cut out for the diameter of the dome. This way the dome would sit steadfast during transport. This also provided padding under and around the dome ring.

Towels + Padding
Then towels were attached to the inside walls for padding/protection. These could then be folded out when opening the case. These had the added bonus of then covering the rim of the box so if the dome gets bumped it's no issue. The larger back tool has some slits cut in it to allow it to hang on the top of the lid when open as well.

Trimming

Trimming back part of the front upper lip to increase clearance when transferring it in and out of the box

Introducing R2-PS2... I've worked out a way to link a PlayStation Vita to the projector I have installed in the dome! Which means R2-D2 can now be a fully portable rolling PlayStation!

As the Vita is running custom software it can play PS1, PSP, PS Vita and Gameboy games. I've also installed a mod that allows me to connect my PS4 controller for wireless gameplay. The Vita is streamed to the projector via a HDMI cable along with a Raspberry Pi 3B board that allows for display output change.

The demo footage below includes Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PSP), Star Wars Dark Forces (PS1) and Star Wars Apprentice of the Force (GBA).
Please forgive the grainy footage, the iPhone struggled to film the projector.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back