R2-D2 WIP - Studio 49

Studio 49

Sr Member
After a long while of going back and forth on being tempted to build an Astromech well here I am going down this rabbit hole

So I figure I'd better explain why I'm building this. Now it's very much a very long term project, but the aim of this is to be able to build an Astromech that we can have to accompany us on our Children's hospital troops, I mean who doesn't love R2-D2! (I figure whenever I troop with Hux once I get him approved he'd be the perfect costume to do R2 with).

With that said, let the WIP thread commence!

Last edited:
Starting the printing of the ports:
1A_zpslnl4mxbt.jpg

1C_zpsqktodsws.jpg

Then moving onto printing the front central vents

2C_zpslrsgrh22.jpg

2D_zpsq6mp9cqe.jpg

4A_zps0c7rr4f0.jpg

7C_zps0obze5hy.jpg

Last edited:
2 weeks is a fast turn around! i look forward to the up coming pics!! :thumbsup

Not bad hey? ;) Can't beat having a brilliant all round local based Australian/New Zealand based company
So in talking to customer service about my printer it's certainly faulty in some way and has been since day 1 (so it's through no fault of my own. They think it may be a CPU Issue)
The UP printers have always been brilliant from the 4 years I've been using/working with them and they have stellar customer service too boot

wicked cool! have you seen james burtons 3d printed frame?

Thanks mate, when they say something like "this plastic can't be glued with conventional glue" I say challenge accepted ;)
As for the frame yes I've seen his, quite nice actually although since we want this guy for troops I want him as bullet proof as I can get him without spending ten grand
So I figured stuff it I'll make it out of Polyethylene, and if I want I can literally just go buy chopping boards to do it (which are actually cheap than buying sheet so the stuff, work that one out haha

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back